Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 01:51 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times

Advertisements

I wish gloves were as efficient. They are not.
The moment your glove touches an infected product,person,etc. You become the carrier. Great way to expand the virus! Move a can....then touch another. Viola the virus now awaits on other items.
This was iterated in our food safety course. Gloves would need changed sooo many times to genuinely remain sterile .
My staff is passing around the flu. Started about two weeks ago....I can't dodge it ...it will come and I'll be a wreck for a week. Good news,I'll loose those Christmas pounds...bad news...I never quite bounce back after a bout of the flu. Will say that public transportation does give you greater odds of getting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 01:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
I got the flu shot.

I also wash my hands often.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:56 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
I couldn't get a flu shot this year because I was in treatment for another medical condition. I also teach preschool, so I am exposed all the time. I eat a super-clean, healthy diet, I exercise regularly, I wash my hands constantly, I take supplements that support my immune system (like Vit D, Omega-3, etc.), and I've added Elderberry to the mix. So far, so good. Both my kids ad it, and two kids in my class have had it, but I'm still good.

I think being in overall good health is your best defense, especially diet and exercise.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:52 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Nothing special, but it didn't work this year.

I've been sick for the first time in several years. Not sure if its the flu or a nasty cold though. Started with sore throat, proceeded to sinuses and chest. It's been going around the school where I work, a large number of kids and teachers have succumbed, and it's quite persistent-2 weeks or so long. Not really an energy sapping illness, just a bit miserable and tenacious.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:00 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
I did not get the flu shot. I know I know I should have, but I didn’t. I’m trying to keep my hands off my face and washing them constantly!!

Old 02-14-2018, 04:22 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
This is a good time to see what people are doing to try to prevent the flu.

My list: Wear disposable gloves when in public places especially supermarkets. Even with disposable gloves be sure not to touch your face. If you need to scratch use a tissue. I use a CC exclusively to avoid handling cash. I try to avoid anyone who is sneezing or coughing. I keep hand sanitizer in the car and use it as needed. Produce, I spray it with spray hydrogen peroxide and leave it sit a while then wash in fresh water.
Wash hands often. Use a nasal rinse. Use a good air filter.

Anyone else?

Avoiding the general public...and strict handwashing.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:33 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Nothing in particular. I have never gotten the flu shot, and doubt I ever will.

There seems to be a nasty cold going around. People call it the "flu", but it isn't. It's just a really miserable cold, and it lingers longer than usual. I think probably a third of all "flu" cases are actually this cold.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Washed my hands a lot, used hand sanitizer, avoided touching my face, tried to avoid sick people, took vitamins and ate healthily... still got influenza A. Sometimes, there's nothing you can do. I'm still coughing and it's been three weeks since I first got sick.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Nothing in particular. I have never gotten the flu shot, and doubt I ever will.

There seems to be a nasty cold going around. People call it the "flu", but it isn't. It's just a really miserable cold, and it lingers longer than usual. I think probably a third of all "flu" cases are actually this cold.
When people claim they have or had the flu, it's likely that a lot of people simply don't know what the hell they're talking about, but as far as numbers reported in the media, those are cases proven by tests. My doctor's office reports all positive flu tests and prescriptions of Tamiflu given out to the CDC.

I knew a girl who thought you could catch a stomach virus from the cold air. People are scarily uninformed about getting and being sick. Someone who has had the flu knows the difference between a cold and the flu. I know that a lot of people I talk to who claim to have had the flu probably didn't have it based on their symptoms and how long they were sick for. I'm healthy, besides having mild asthma, and in my 20s and the flu weakened me so much that not only am I still coughing but I'm still exhausted (though that's gotten much better over the last couple of days). I was so weak when I was sick I had to put extra effort into opening the refrigerator, no joke. The flu is next level and so many people have no idea, one clue that they didn't actually have the flu when they claim they did.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:45 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Whether it's pointless or not, my flu-avoidant measures so far have been:
  • Running two humidifiers in my house nonstop to maintain 50-60% humidity (The flu virus thrives below 40% humidity.)
  • Washing my hands...a lot, and trying to be more thorough about it
  • Running two air purifiers in my home, including the one in my bedroom that has a UV-C light, which kills airborne virus, bacteria, and fungi. I also open the windows regularly to air out my home. I've read you are more likely to catch the flu inside than outside.
  • Wiping down surfaces (like door knobs, drawer pulls, faucets, remote controls, the phone, etc.) with a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water
  • Spraying a mist of rubbing alcohol and water on my pillows when I wake up in the morning
  • Washing my sheets every week, religiously
  • Working from home as much as my boss will allow. I honestly think this has been key, since "social distancing" is one of the best ways to avoid the flu
  • Wearing masks at work -- I sit off in a corner where I can't attract a lot of attention -- if/when I hear people making "sickness" noises (sneezing, coughing, etc.)
  • Using disposable wet-wipe cloths and hand sanitizer at my desk several times throughout the day
  • Trying to not touch my face
  • Gargling with water and hydrogen peroxide morning and night
  • Taking my probiotic and maintaining a somewhat healthy diet with fresh fruit and veg
  • Drinking a lot of water
  • Washing kitchen and bath towels frequently

Honestly, it feels like a lot of work, but so far I've come through unscathed. I've had some mild cold symptoms -- scratchy throat, stuffy sinuses over night, occasional cough. It worsens when I'm at the office, which is BONE DRY. (Glasses of ice water don't form condensation on the outside of the glass. That's an easy way to tell if the air is too dry.) If I can work from home on the days I'm feeling cold symptoms, they go away within a couple hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness