Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 07:54 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times

Advertisements

Any input from some of the experts here as to whether the nerves in my thigh will ever come back to life, it's over 7 yrs and at least 80% of thigh is numb and sore from hip replacement in 2010. I had various types of works done over the early years but have pretty much given up. This is from Anterior approach in the front of the thigh. All the area around incision is pretty numb too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 08:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
I know you like supplements, have you tried alpha lipoic acid for nerve healing? It may help.

I had a numb belly from my c-sections and nerve damage in my foot from surgery, and both improved while taking it. Some things aren't going to repair themselves. When I touch the surgical scar on the side of my lower leg, I feel the touch on the front of my foot, and I know that's not going to heal up and be normal again. It's nice to have feeling in my belly again though, a few times I burned myself leaning against a hot oven door and didn't even realize it until I saw the marks later.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:17 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,498,140 times
If they haven't come back by now, they probably won't. I had an abdominal surgery and was told chances were 50/50 the cut nerves would re-grow and they came back within a few months - I had new pains all of a sudden, then realized where the new pains were. I hope you had some physical therapy after to learn how to use the muscles without the sensation. Not easy.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I know you like supplements, have you tried alpha lipoic acid for nerve healing? It may help.

I had a numb belly from my c-sections and nerve damage in my foot from surgery, and both improved while taking it. Some things aren't going to repair themselves. When I touch the surgical scar on the side of my lower leg, I feel the touch on the front of my foot, and I know that's not going to heal up and be normal again. It's nice to have feeling in my belly again though, a few times I burned myself leaning against a hot oven door and didn't even realize it until I saw the marks later.
Thanks, I have a 1/4 bottle of ALA left over and was taking it some time ago but found a couple other nerve supps and started taking them, guess I'll finish the ALA. But I don't have lots of hope.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:38 PM

689 posts, read 972,691 times
This may sound like a wild card but what about acupuncture? There are quite a few articles online about this.

https://www.amherstwellness.com/2013...-nerve-damage/

Old 02-14-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
This may sound like a wild card but what about acupuncture? There are quite a few articles online about this.

https://www.amherstwellness.com/2013...-nerve-damage/
Thanks for your comments. Probably a year or so post op, I went to a rheumy MD who did several alternative treatments including acupuncture. She worked all along the area and this did nothing. I have to say with a couple other sups, I was able to just about get rid of burning/tingling in that area. Now, this long post op, I've got to resign myself. The surgeon hurried thru the surgery, later Friday afternoon, and hit the nerves and this is said to be true and does happen with Anterior approach.

I've got to work more on accepting what I'm left with.

My one neighbor and I compare notes and have been for 7 yrs...she had a posterior in 2010 and no nerve damage, and then had the other hip done about a year ago, Anterior approach and she did not get nerve damage. She didn't have the surgeon I had in either hip surgery.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:24 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
How does it affect you?

My late husband had a numb area on his thigh, AND one leg a little short (it was giving him arthritis in his hip), but it never really impacted his day to day life.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-15-2018, 12:31 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
I have a little bit of numbness and tingling in one area of my thigh post THR too. It is a minor nuisance if I'm on my feet all day. My ortho mentioned it can happen, but as everyone's anatomy differs hard to predict. He also explained that the leg with the implant can end up slightly shorter or longer because its very difficult to predict exactly how the implant will seat itself over time once you are weight-bearing. Obviously they try to match the implant size but it rarely ends up being perfect. I remember it felt very odd for a month or so after walking on it, but since then I've either adjusted my gait or the difference diminished with use and time. By the time someone goes through the THR they have been limping and favoring one leg for a long long time. Their gait was affected and it takes effort to "forget" the habit. Knowing what causes it makes the difference between worrying and ignoring. Its just there.

Remembering the misery right before THR reminds me that there are worse things in life than a buzzy thigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness