Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 04:30 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have been taking Methylprednisolone since Tuesday for bronchitis. I also have laryngitis and fluid in my middle ear which is causing post nasal drip but no other symptoms. Today I went to the doctor and told him that I am getting worse. He suspects allergic reaction. So he gave me a shot of antibiotics and I think steroid to help calm things down. I have moved my cat to a friend's house, vacuumed and mopped everywhere, and removed the one plant we had.

My major problem is that I feel like I am having trouble breathing. I already went to the ER for breathing issues and they looked at me like I had two heads for being there and knowing I have bronchitis. They said that was a symptom. So here I am again, trying not to panic but feeling that sensation of not being able to breathe.

I feel like the shot given to me today is not being effective. I do plan on going to the ER if things continue on this way for the evening. What am I missing with the medical professionals? I am guessing I need to try another ER? They will probably give me the same medication, which would be fine.

Anyway, I am not looking for diagnosis. Maybe just reassurance that I am not tying up ER resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 05:41 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
If it doesn't go away or if it goes away and then comes back, see a good allergist. I mean a GOOD one. I wasted time on allergists who never even tested me for food allergies and by the time someone finally tested me, it had gone much further than it should have.

Think about anything new that has come into your home. New furniture that is offgassing some chemical that you could be sensitive to. Some new rug that might have a funny smell, anything new. New kind of soap, cosmetics, household cleaning products. Anything that is new to your life that could be affecting you.

Check for foods by eliminating one at a time like milk for four days, wheat, eggs. Nothing for three days, eat it on the fourth day and see if anything happens.

If you can't track it down, then see the allergist.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If it doesn't go away or if it goes away and then comes back, see a good allergist. I mean a GOOD one. I wasted time on allergists who never even tested me for food allergies and by the time someone finally tested me, it had gone much further than it should have.

Think about anything new that has come into your home. New furniture that is offgassing some chemical that you could be sensitive to. Some new rug that might have a funny smell, anything new. New kind of soap, cosmetics, household cleaning products. Anything that is new to your life that could be affecting you.

Check for foods by eliminating one at a time like milk for four days, wheat, eggs. Nothing for three days, eat it on the fourth day and see if anything happens.

If you can't track it down, then see the allergist.
Thank you for the supportive post. My doctor has an allergist he prefers to use so he is bringing her in to see me. Just an update: I believe the antibiotics are working. My head feels clearer and I don't have that scratchy feeling in my throat.

It has been difficult to eat because it feels like my diaphragm is pushing up. That may be due to the cough the other nights. But I have removed key things, like the cat, his litter which was new and dustier than normal, the plant. I will start with dairy.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:36 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
I can relate to your symptoms but hesitate to make a guess, since I don't even know what's wrong with me. For a few weeks, I have chest tightness, a cough, and no appetite. Am also sneezing at times. And wheezing some. No energy or real strength to do stuff. The antibiotic they gave me made me really sick. I could not stand to look at food at all and was always nauseated. (Zpak). I stopped it and am better but I think I have a hiatal hernia that is pushing into my stomach. I have started eating only small amounts of food, many times a day.

Do you have Gerd? Acid reflux can also cause some of these symptoms. Throat symptoms, cough, upset stomach, heartburn. If you don't find out it's allergies, and it might be this time of year, explore Gerd and see what you think.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I can relate to your symptoms but hesitate to make a guess, since I don't even know what's wrong with me. For a few weeks, I have chest tightness, a cough, and no appetite. Am also sneezing at times. And wheezing some. No energy or real strength to do stuff. The antibiotic they gave me made me really sick. I could not stand to look at food at all and was always nauseated. (Zpak). I stopped it and am better but I think I have a hiatal hernia that is pushing into my stomach. I have started eating only small amounts of food, many times a day.

Do you have Gerd? Acid reflux can also cause some of these symptoms. Throat symptoms, cough, upset stomach, heartburn. If you don't find out it's allergies, and it might be this time of year, explore Gerd and see what you think.
Hi. Thank you for your help. They gave me an antibiotic shot. I think it might be working but since the dose is in my body, it has to go through. I have no fever, but everything you are describing (have no appetite whereas before I did) so it may be related to the shot. I did start with identifying possible allergens. I have been asked before about acid reflux. I have been sticking to soups but couldn't help but notice a fullness from my stomach.

I just woke up and am surprised I don't feel too different. The most obvious change is that my voice is returning. My sinuses are running even with antihistamine. I may have to have all solid surfaces wiped down next including walls.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:22 AM

322 posts, read 286,242 times
I went through almost the same thing back in October when I had bronchitis, sinusitis, middle ear infection!

Antibiotics could be causing a GERD like reaction hence the breathing trouble. Try taking probiotics since that restores gut bacteria. Make sure you are staying hydrated.

Also try getting a humidifier and a air filter. Helps you breathe better. Steam your sinuses as well and drink hot tea with warm water lemon and ginger - absolutely game changer. Breaks up the mucus and helps your throat feel better.

I hope you feel much better. I know exactly what you are going through. It is rough but you will get through this. Best wishes for your health.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:42 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
Yes hot liquids. Also you may want to try steaming up the bathroom by running the shower on hot and just sit and breath in the steam or even running a hot bath sitting in tub with hot wet cloth over face.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:14 AM

AZgarden, I apologize earlier for not wishing you a speedy recovery. I do hope you feel better soon.

Thank you, Dreamingx and Issie1213 for your input and tips. I think the difficult thing is the loss of my cat and I truly do not think he can return home.

The one thing I didn't do was ginger so I will be adding that in. The hot showers really cleaned up my sinuses. I didn't know there was thick discharge in there, especially, because there are no blockages while breathing through the nostrils. But the discharge has turned from yellow to white.

Just an update: I slept a little and woke up again, so I am posting again. I am starting to feel like my old self with just a little pressure in my ears. I guess the antibiotic shot is working. However, I didn't think it would take this long but I wasn't going to panic and go to the ER since I do trust my doctor. There is normally a 3-4 hour wait for him for an appointment but they took me right in as a walk-in both times. He saw me through the glass windows and took me quickly. The receptionist even remembered my birthday. LOL.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:16 AM

I have a question about the humidifier. We have a cool mist humidifier because my daughter is not a very careful one. Is that sufficient or does it have to be steam?

Also, I have access to the humidity levels in my room. It stays between 50% to 60% these days without any humidifier. I was thinking this was sufficient without the humidifier.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:42 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,842 times
I have bad allergies. When I get a cold , it usually goes into brochitis. In fact I had one in November. First time in years.

The only thing that helps me is 2 rounds of Z-Pac. Even then the slight cough will havng aroudn for about another 3 weeks. They used to give me steroids(predison) but my doctor is only given those out in extreme cases. And I refuse to take them anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness