U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:17 AM

4,537 posts, read 2,790,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
I had back surgery to remove a ruptured disc which was filling up most of my spinal canal. It wasn't a choice at that point. I saw the MRI myself and by the time my saddle region started going numb I knew I had to have the surgery soon. So far it's worked out fine. It wasn't about pain for me, but about losing function from the waist down. Look up cauda equina syndrome to see what I mean.

If you're gonna have it, get a neurosurgeon and get one who does a lot of them.
Glad you got prompt treatment. Cauda equina can mess you up permanently.

When I went to Urgent Care with lower back pain four years ago, that's the first thing they tested for. (I won't divulge how they test for it. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 11:28 AM

2,851 posts, read 1,538,270 times
I've had back issues since I was a kid. Right where the spine bends to meet your bum, it hurts. I take ibuprofen for this.
I will never let someone open up my Central Nervous System... until they have the scanner they show on the original 'StarTrek,' where Bones knew exactly the problem, I'll just deal with it.

My wife? She's 58, been very careful with her spine, not a problem in the world. I don't know if it's due to genetics, but I sure wish I had her back. She says that she heard people talk about back issues when she was a kid, so she consciously is very careful about doing anything that may injure her spine.

To each their own. Those of you who have (or will) do surgery, I wish you the best. I'm just a bit too paranoid to let someone start messing around with the bundle of nerves that controls my arms, legs and organs. I'll live with this.
If it gets that bad, exit, stage left. I refuse to be a guinea pig for unproven 'science.'

*I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that man is the only animal that walks on two legs. It puts a major strain on the spine. Hopefully the Doctors and Scientists will catch up and fix this for our children.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:39 PM

15,225 posts, read 4,785,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I've had back issues since I was a kid. Right where the spine bends to meet your bum, it hurts. I take ibuprofen for this.
I will never let someone open up my Central Nervous System... until they have the scanner they show on the original 'StarTrek,' where Bones knew exactly the problem, I'll just deal with it.

My wife? She's 58, been very careful with her spine, not a problem in the world. I don't know if it's due to genetics, but I sure wish I had her back. She says that she heard people talk about back issues when she was a kid, so she consciously is very careful about doing anything that may injure her spine.

To each their own. Those of you who have (or will) do surgery, I wish you the best. I'm just a bit too paranoid to let someone start messing around with the bundle of nerves that controls my arms, legs and organs. I'll live with this.
If it gets that bad, exit, stage left. I refuse to be a guinea pig for unproven 'science.'

*I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that man is the only animal that walks on two legs. It puts a major strain on the spine. Hopefully the Doctors and Scientists will catch up and fix this for our children.
I don't know it's the unproven "science"...we are all so unique and that includes our backs. My back started to first hurt me at 18, and I had been dancing since 12 yrs old...so I believe that started it and there is OA on my mother's side. I continued to dance and dance and dance and exercise and here I am at 79 with a narley oldER back. I stretch a lot and just know there is a LOT I can't do anymore.

And it's true about man walking on two legs....

Old 03-03-2018, 03:26 PM

T.D. I listen to Dr. Darrow on PRP/Stem cells weekly and his latest book is Regenerate, Don't Operate. Most of the calls today were on backs, surgeries done and non surgeries. At least several people called in and the doc "kinda" said sounded like sprains. I tripped over my feet last Sunday and landed on my knees and I'm sure bruised the knees and especially the one which is the most problem....but no breaks or fractures, so I believe my bones are strong. This week I'm icing and NOT cycling on the recumbent, letting what I think happened, do healing. And I was doing good considering this knee issue I deal with...so back to being more gentle with the knee. And be more careful on my movements...my ankles are weak too with OA so that is a problem for me and walking good.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:38 PM

Listening to Dr. Darrow's call ins, one woman had torn meniscus surgery and she's into 3rd month of PT and NOT improving. Now she's questioning doing PRP/Stem Cells on that surgeried knee.

Another woman called in about knee surgeries and how so many end up with knee replacements even after these wasted surgeries....she said WHY do the surgeries when knee replacements are done eventually. A big waste of money she said, she was calling in for her mother in law.

I can relate to that, I think, as "they" did an arthroscopic surgery on my knee last year and I think it's worse. This is the knee I'm Trying not to do replacement.

I will call the surgeon next week I've seen over years about this knee and go in to see IF there is fluid that can be drained...and talk to him too about my feelings. Last time I saw him I was in a wheelchair and he didn't know about the infection as I did not either at that time.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-10-2018 at 03:51 PM..

Old 03-11-2018, 11:29 AM

67,253 posts, read 76,954,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I hear this term a lot when I hear the PRP/Stem Cell MD talk about regenerative medicine that he does. Many call in with failed back, neck, shoulders and hips/knee too (too degrees). Many are still in a lot of pain after these surgeries. I deal with a lot of back pain (no surgery ever done) and won't go there. Hip replacement left me with complications.. I know one lady who had back surgeries many yrs ago and she's some yrs older than me, but walks with a very twisted body. Says she really needed it many yrs ago.

https://paindoctor.com/conditions/fa...gery-syndrome/

Maybe some have back/neck surgery stories.
yes there are many who are not helped after back surgery. My own daughter who isn't even 60 has had surgery twice and is still in a lot of pain. The surgery seems to work for awhile. Of course she is filled with arthritis which is part of her problem. We have no idea what is in store for her next, but I do know she wont' even be heading back to golf this spring.

That being said, I think you put too much into your unsuccessful hip surgery. Many people are helped after back surgery. Like you, I have chosen to live with the pain, but if I were younger I would, gladly try back suregery.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:46 AM

571 posts, read 47,672 times
I had intense pain in my upper back/neck (C3-C4-C5). After spinal fusion surgery 4 years ago, there is no pain in that area at all. I would do it again in a heartbeat. (I now have occasional pain in my lower back, which I am convinced will disappear after exercise).

Old 03-11-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes there are many who are not helped after back surgery. My own daughter who isn't even 60 has had surgery twice and is still in a lot of pain. The surgery seems to work for awhile. Of course she is filled with arthritis which is part of her problem. We have no idea what is in store for her next, but I do know she wont' even be heading back to golf this spring.

That being said, I think you put too much into your unsuccessful hip surgery. Many people are helped after back surgery. Like you, I have chosen to live with the pain, but if I were younger I would, gladly try back suregery.
It's interesting how others can tell people what to think. No one else walks in our shoes and goes thru what we have experienced. What I live with is certainly not even close to what I had hoped for after the surgery.

I have a neighbor man who did a lower back surgery and when I see him walking I often ask how things are and he doesn't complain about the back surgery. So perhaps he is doing ok going on I think 3 yrs.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Good News from my brother who is 76 today. He's golfed all his life both for work and recreation. A few yrs ago he had scheduled a back surgery and his Big Sister (me) talked him out of it.

I called him today in Naples FL and he sounds great, no back surgery and still working 4 days a week in a golf course and still playing. He thanks me for talking him out of the surgery.

We reminesced a little and will keep in touch as he has a new email address. Lives 1/2 yr in Naples and 1/2 yr in New Hampshire.

Oh, he's been taking my famous antioxidant a few yrs.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:37 AM

3,182 posts, read 1,342,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good News from my brother who is 76 today. He's golfed all his life both for work and recreation. A few yrs ago he had scheduled a back surgery and his Big Sister (me) talked him out of it.

I called him today in Naples FL and he sounds great, no back surgery and still working 4 days a week in a golf course and still playing. He thanks me for talking him out of the surgery.

We reminesced a little and will keep in touch as he has a new email address. Lives 1/2 yr in Naples and 1/2 yr in New Hampshire.

Oh, he's been taking my famous antioxidant a few yrs.
What does a phone call to your brother have to do with nmnitsa reply to you??????

Ah yes, I see it now. The bolded. Bumping your own threads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or