Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 04:15 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

I hear this term a lot when I hear the PRP/Stem Cell MD talk about regenerative medicine that he does. Many call in with failed back, neck, shoulders and hips/knee too (too degrees). Many are still in a lot of pain after these surgeries. I deal with a lot of back pain (no surgery ever done) and won't go there. Hip replacement left me with complications.. I know one lady who had back surgeries many yrs ago and she's some yrs older than me, but walks with a very twisted body. Says she really needed it many yrs ago.

https://paindoctor.com/conditions/fa...gery-syndrome/

Maybe some have back/neck surgery stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 04:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
My back surgery went just fine and I had no complications. I researched for the best doctor and type of procedure. I was painfree for 10 yrs until the rest of my back began to develop problems unrelated to the surgery.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:44 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
I know one guy that walked in and rolled out a paraplegic, but that's an extreme example. But from what I've seen with people I know, surgery doesn't always fix the problem like they want or hope. Don't know what it is about spinal surgery like that.

With regards to people that I've known with knee and hip replacements, they almost universally are better off than they were beforehand a short while afterwards.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I know one guy that walked in and rolled out a paraplegic, but that's an extreme example. But from what I've seen with people I know, surgery doesn't always fix the problem like they want or hope. Don't know what it is about spinal surgery like that.

With regards to people that I've known with knee and hip replacements, they almost universally are better off than they were beforehand a short while afterwards.
Well common sense tells me when our body is cut, it is never the same in many other ways. I've heard comments that people can't bend their backs due to pins/screws etc...my back is pretty narely but I can bend it, stretch it and other things to keep it moving.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:34 PM

23,258 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Well, the spine is so complex, your entire body is connected/dependent on it, and a slight injury or scar from a surgery can affect everything else, not just a limb. A former co-worker had a supposedly long term disk/vertebrae problem and finally had surgery. Don't remember the specifics, but I do remember he was still in pain afterwards. Years later a different orthopedist found that the original issue was his hip, not his spine. Had his hip replaced. Solved most of the problem. Scary stuff!

Old 02-22-2018, 07:11 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Every back surgery I've had has helped immensely, and I have no regrets.
When you're in severe pain just getting around, surgery (with a good doctor) can make a huge difference in ones quality of life.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:53 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Several years ago I attended a seminar where the speaker was a well respected local spine surgeon. He talked all about conditions of the spine, remedies, exercises etc. He was EMPHATIC that surgery should ALWAYS be a last resort! He said it is ALWAYS better to keep what you have naturally and work with it if at all possible. But he did show slides of people who were really extreme and truly needed surgery to relieve pain, correct curvature and help them lead a normal life. I thought it was an excellent seminar. I was told years ago that I might one day need surgery to correct several issues I have, but at 68 have been able to avoid it through ongoing exercise, body work and keeping my weight down.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Every back surgery I've had has helped immensely, and I have no regrets.
When you're in severe pain just getting around, surgery (with a good doctor) can make a huge difference in ones quality of life.
Good for your experiences, one can have the BEST doctor/surgeon and still come out with complications..I did and I've talked about the hip replacement complications I live with and the surgeon came highly recommended. I live with a narley 79 yr old back which started to bother me at 18, but no surgery. Lots of fear in this lady for surgeries..I too have done a lot of body work over my lifetime. And we all have our thresholds of what we want to deal with.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:53 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Yes, I have a bad lower-back.

I won't do any major surgery in this area, have heard too many horror stories. Fusion and then the other surrounding disks start failing from the extra stress......nope!

Old 02-23-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yes, I have a bad lower-back.

I won't do any major surgery in this area, have heard too many horror stories. Fusion and then the other surrounding disks start failing from the extra stress......nope!
And then there are those who go for another one and another one, it's a vicious cycle some go thru. Nope not for me. I've learned to live with it as I've aged and it's gotten worse with age and the hip job messed with the back too. Everything is connected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness