Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:20 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,773,554 times

Advertisements

I have had two doctors that IMO should not be seeing patients because of their horrible bedside manner. But the number of doctors that have been wonderful far out weight those two duds. I have had my gynecologist for 35 years. I will be very sad when he retires.

Animal bites are no joke. Cats claws and mouths are full of bacteria. As far as knowing standard care for a dog or cat bite - I had no idea until I went to the ER with a dog bite. I was trying to get a chicken bone from my little dog and like a fool I had stuck my fingers in his mouth to pry it open. He chomped down harder, not to bite me, but to hang on to that bone. The bite was no big deal. It was small, hardly bled, and I put a band aid on my finger. I went about my day and that night at about midnight I drove myself to the ER because the wound was throbbing. The waiting room was fairly busy and I thought I would be waiting for hours. Apparently dog bites, no matter how small, are a big deal. They took me back immediately and started me on IV antibiotics.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:18 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,262,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Of the many medical people I've dealt with, only a few were jerks. They were jerks in the same way that some of the legal beagles (lawyers) that I've encountered were jerks, having that attitude that because they have degrees in "professional" occupations, they are better than you.
I would completely agree with you. When I see a doctor for the first time, even if it isn't the personality that I feel comfortable with I will usually give them a second try. If that fails I find a new one and I am done this more than once. I feel the about my dentist or any other professional for that matter.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:22 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,599,297 times
I've had at least two major issues in my life with incompetent doctors...one with my last issue and a team of docs who were negligent getting to my issue. Talk about a long hard drama.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:39 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,318,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
First of all, clearly you don't HAVE a doctor with whom you have a relationship. Always telling when people say "THE doctor".

Everybody knows the standard protocol for a potentially dangerous cat bite. And puncture.

Did you go to some "urgent care" place?

Was it a resident? It's not unusual they screw up in some ways. Bedside manor, wrong a/b etc. I don't see residents unless I know what's going on to my satisfaction.

Was it a PA?

Even so, there was no dramatic error here.

See: MAYO CLINIC

Cat Bites Are More Dangerous than Previously Thought - Catster

https://consciouscat.net/2014/03/03/...bites-lightly/

There is no "check on tendons or damage to the hands" required on that visit.

I guarantee you this, as a professional pet sitter, who's had/seen bites.

She did exactly what she should have - with the question of the tetanus issue which remains up in the air as to why that happened.

Based on YOUR telling of the story.

The tetanus thing has always been TEN years, not five.

I don't even understand your complaint about the a/b.

You didn't read your own discharge instructions till AFTER you took an a/b.

It was okay to take with milk so what did you expect her to do in advance?

I understand your reaction because your own cat caused this dramatic, upsetting and painful thing. It happens. It's not the doctor's fault. Nor the cat's.
Tetanus is five years if you have an unclean wound.
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/i...tetwdmgmtc.pdf

Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 AM

15,242 posts, read 12,843,002 times
I was bitten by my cat once. It was my fault. I did not check to see if she was already agitated and I tried to pick her up from behind.

She whirled on me and got my forearm with all four sets of claws as well as her jaws. Her canines hit the bone, I felt it.

I had some Augmentin so I started that immediately, washed the wounds and went to the ER. They gave me a tetanus shot and a prescription for more Augmentin. I had to fill out a form that was forwarded to Animal Control, and there was a whole procedure we had to go through with them. Basically they took a photo of her in case there were future reports. They wanted to know if she'd had rabies shots. (She had.) Had she bitten anyone before? (She hadn't.) I took her in for a rabies booster.

It was a long, slow and painful recovery. I didn't bandage my arm, just kept it clean with soap and water. The flesh became stiff and hot to the touch. After a few days, pus started seeping out of the puncture wounds. Eventually it all healed just fine.

Other than her booster, nothing happened to the cat. She lived to eventually get sick with GI lymphoma, which we treated with chemo successfully for 2 1/2 years. She died at 17.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,981,690 times
yep my son was bitten by a dog on his finger and he developed osteomyelitis thanks to a doctor who sewed the bite up instead of doing the right thing medically . well to make a long story short my son is now absent a finger yes he lost his finger due to the dog bite and an incompetent dr . Please please keep and eye on it . Ever since this has happened to my son I get freaked even with a scratch that breaks the skin .Keep it clean and watch it .

Old 02-19-2018, 11:58 AM

7,211 posts, read 4,485,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yep my son was bitten by a dog on his finger and he developed osteomyelitis thanks to a doctor who sewed the bite up instead of doing the right thing medically .
Yes I have heard that causes the bacteria to be trapped inside so you should never put stitches in a bite.

That doctor said I didn't need the tetanus shot -- normally I would object but a quick google search says that there is a new movement that says the tetanus shot really lasts 30 -- not 10 years. Again the doctor was dismissive saying my wound was too small to need a tetanus shot. Complete narrow focus on the small apparently width of the wound not depth.

This one, I felt. I think he hit the bone. My finger is stiff and shiny and pink and swollen. I can't really use it. But I feel like the range of movement is better today and the pain is less... so I hope that is a sign of healing. But there is a large area of pink.

I will be checking in with my regular doctor tomorrow. She is a good doctor but usually defers to others. One thing I have learned from a previous infection is that it is a good idea to take photos daily of the infection so they can get a good sense. I had a toe infection (after surgery) and the doctor didn't think it was bad until I showed her how it looked right after surgery, where it was much whiter and she immediately ordered an antibiotic. It was also something I could show her without an appointment -- I just uploaded the photos to the medical portal.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:25 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,843,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I will be checking in with my regular doctor tomorrow. She is a good doctor but usually defers to others. One thing I have learned from a previous infection is that it is a good idea to take photos daily of the infection so they can get a good sense. I had a toe infection (after surgery) and the doctor didn't think it was bad until I showed her how it looked right after surgery, where it was much whiter and she immediately ordered an antibiotic. It was also something I could show her without an appointment -- I just uploaded the photos to the medical portal.
That's a great tip. I think I can do that with our online portal, too, but I'll check. Anything to save a visit. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:51 PM

2,419 posts, read 3,545,482 times
Did she tell you to take the antibiotic with milk or did you just do this on your own? Also, I've heard of eating yogurt with live cultures when you are on an antibiotic.

Sounds like you need a new Dr.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:25 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,318,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Yes I have heard that causes the bacteria to be trapped inside so you should never put stitches in a bite.

That doctor said I didn't need the tetanus shot -- normally I would object but a quick google search says that there is a new movement that says the tetanus shot really lasts 30 -- not 10 years. Again the doctor was dismissive saying my wound was too small to need a tetanus shot. Complete narrow focus on the small apparently width of the wound not depth.

This one, I felt. I think he hit the bone. My finger is stiff and shiny and pink and swollen. I can't really use it. But I feel like the range of movement is better today and the pain is less... so I hope that is a sign of healing. But there is a large area of pink.

I've read that too. It hasn't resulted in any changes of policy here in the US. The Czech Republic and Slovkia say every 10-15 years for a booster. However, that is the policy just for routine immunization, not for contaminated wounds. Tetanus is not something to fool with.
https://vaccine-schedule.ecdc.europa.eu/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness