Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 08:35 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times

Advertisements

well I had a jerk dr last night I had to go to the er I broke my big toe and he tells me that people should really be more mindful of the way they walk , I was floored . He made it sound like I was a total idiot for breaking my big toe I then proceeded to tell him I tripped over my dog and then he snidely remarked maybe you should get rid of the dog I was floored . The nurse was nice and so was the ortho dr on call . He said simple fracture he had the nurse splint it and tape it and told me to change that in a couple of days or a week . No need to see an ortho unless it starts changing color etc or more swelling or more painful . The ortho asked me how I fell and I told him and he laughed and says it happens all the time . Now a dr like that I can kid with and laugh makes pain a lot less painful .

Old 02-22-2018, 09:36 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Again, why?

Why should I have to get a new doctor? Why can't doctors be baseline competent? As I mentioned before this lady isn't my normal doctor I had no choice but to see her.

Really? Welcome to life?

Why can't everyone be competent, pleasant all the time, help feed the poor, and always be available to help me move?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-22-2018, 09:57 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I had a jerk dr last night I had to go to the er I broke my big toe and he tells me that people should really be more mindful of the way they walk , I was floored . He made it sound like I was a total idiot for breaking my big toe I then proceeded to tell him I tripped over my dog and then he snidely remarked maybe you should get rid of the dog I was floored . The nurse was nice and so was the ortho dr on call . He said simple fracture he had the nurse splint it and tape it and told me to change that in a couple of days or a week . No need to see an ortho unless it starts changing color etc or more swelling or more painful . The ortho asked me how I fell and I told him and he laughed and says it happens all the time . Now a dr like that I can kid with and laugh makes pain a lot less painful .
The ER for a broken toe???? ERs are for emergencies. Doctor could have come from resuscitating an infant...you have no idea why he was short with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Really? Welcome to life?

Why can't everyone be competent, pleasant all the time, help feed the poor, and always be available to help me move?
Yep.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:18 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
If my doctor wants to explain to me WHY a tetanus shot is not indicated in this situation.. fine but my doctor chooses to treat me like a child and not explain anything. Thus I am forced to google it. But I reject that my doctor has that much more information than I do. The doctor doesn't explain because they don't know. They are flying by the seat of their pants.

I will say I asked my primary care two days ago if a tetanus shot was needed and she hasn't responded. Jerk.

Why can't the doctor just explain why Web MD doesn't apply? I mean is it his or her job but it is MY life. I think my life trumps his right to be question free.
So both the doctor you actually saw AND your primary care doctor are jerks? Maybe you need to move.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
The discharge papers say "you may need not to take this medication with milk" but when I call the doctor to check she is like nope your good. She should have explained that in the first place.

All this incompetent had to do is explain her decisions and fully discuss the medication with me. But she didn't and then gave attitude when i had questions. That is incompetence. No one should take it for one minute.
Discharge papers that I get tend to be a bit generic and CYA types of things. I don't read them and take them as gospel, nor do I do that with the drug leaflets that come with the medications I get. I mean they try to cover every possible side affect, not just the likely ones. "MAY NEED" is not the same as probably should. If your doctor felt it would be best for you not to take your meds with milk she would have mentioned it, but it's unlikely she would cover every possible 'what if' on your discharge papers. You also have a second source for information in your pharmacist, who would have told you not to take your meds with milk if that was likely to cause problems. Your doctor was not being incompetent in not covering every single possible scenario with you.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Discharge papers that I get tend to be a bit generic and CYA types of things. I don't read them and take them as gospel, nor do I do that with the drug leaflets that come with the medications I get. I mean they try to cover every possible side affect, not just the likely ones. "MAY NEED" is not the same as probably should. If your doctor felt it would be best for you not to take your meds with milk she would have mentioned it, but it's unlikely she would cover every possible 'what if' on your discharge papers. You also have a second source for information in your pharmacist, who would have told you not to take your meds with milk if that was likely to cause problems. Your doctor was not being incompetent in not covering every single possible scenario with you.
I hear what you're saying, but I always read all that stuff anyway. Sometimes you learn something new. I agree the pharmacist would have put a label on the A/B if it should be taken on an empty stomach. Some should, for others it doesn't matter.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:25 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I hear what you're saying, but I always read all that stuff anyway. Sometimes you learn something new. I agree the pharmacist would have put a label on the A/B if it should be taken on an empty stomach. Some should, for others it doesn't matter.
I mean I read them, but I realize they aren't written specifically for ME, that they generally include information that may or may not mean anything to my specific issue. ( I just had an ingrown nail removed, all kinds of info on my papers that had nada to do with my particular procedure) I pay more attention to what my doctor tells me, read the papers when I get home and know I can call if I have questions or if things don't progress the way I expect them to based on what my doctor tells me. I don't get upset if the doctor hasn't covered every single point on the discharge papers, or if they don't talk to me about every possible side effect of whatever meds

Old 02-22-2018, 11:29 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Sorry about your toe, my daughter has stubbed/broke her toe a couple times and it just has to heal on it's own from what she went thru. I can't imagine, for me, having an animal underfoot with my NOW unstable body. Good healing.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:11 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
The ER for a broken toe???? ERs are for emergencies. Doctor could have come from resuscitating an infant...you have no idea why he was short with you.

Yep.
I went to the ER for a broken, bruised swollen toe one time at the insistence of my husband. The injury came about from dropping the front of a dresser drawer (probably weighed about 5 lbs) from a height of about 5 feet squarely on my big toe-I was just wearing a sock on it. The front of the drawer was not attached, but just perched there and I grabbed the handle to pull it out, not knowing it was just loose on the front of the dresser. Well, it hurt intensely, but I was late for work, figured it would feel better later, so I stuck my foot into a sneaker and off I went.

By the end of the day I had extreme difficulty walking on that foot, it was very painful and I still didn't figure I had the time to deal with it, so I left the shoe on so I wouldn't see what a mess it was. I told my husband about it when he got home, and he insisted I take off the shoe off so we could see it. It WAS a mess, so swollen and purple/reddish it resembled a big sausage more than a toe, and man, did it hurt!

Well, he wanted me to go to the ER, and I didn't want to, figuring that there isn't much they can do for broken toes anyway, and I could buddy wrap that toe to the next one as well as they could. But he insisted, and off we went. I have to say the ER personnel were sympathetic (that was a nasty looking toe), and an x-ray showed a break. Additionally, there was blood under the toenail that was swelling the tissue under the toenail, so they insisted on puncturing that toenail with a needle to let the blood out. I think probably one of the most painful things I've ever undergone, or it would have been if my toe had not already been in otherworldly pain, was when they jabbed the needle for the novocaine (or whatever numbing agent they used) right under the edge of that toenail before they poked the hole in the nail.

I did see stars, but have to admit that they were mitigated just little by being able to appreciate how good-looking some of those nurses/EMT techs (guys) working that night were.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:18 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
And so this thread ends on a pleasant note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness