Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 05:15 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post

Spent a winter caring for an injured non-releasable little brown bat once. He was incredibly smart. Got used to handling very quickly and became a friendly sociable little guy. Taught himself to eat and drink out of a bowl in a couple of days which was amazing as insectivorous bats learn to feed on the wing only. As long as he was with someone he was content....tucked into a shirt pocket, under a collar, up a sleeve, chattering away in his tiny voice. Just adored him. Beautiful silky fur, cute face, wonderful creatures. They get such a bad rap. He became an ambassador bat in TX...they can live for over 20 years!

I want a pet bat!!!!!!!! I've always thought they were cute, and this was icing on the cake.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:44 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I want a pet bat!!!!!!!! I've always thought they were cute, and this was icing on the cake.
We have a hunting camp way back in the woods that always has bats. My wife used the toilet one time and as she got up she noticed something black move under the seat. She lifted up the seat and two bats fell into the bowl as it flushed (too late to save the bats). I was outside the cabin at that time and I could hear that something was terribly wrong! The idea that she had just used the seat while the bats where under it was a little outside her comfort zone!

I went into the cabin one night to turn on the lights. We have pull string lights in the kitchen. I grabbed the string and felt something move under my fingers - I had a bat by the feet when the light came on! Nothing like hitchhikers!

Talk about bites; about two weeks ago my wife had a phlebotomist that had been bitten years ago in the arm by a rattlesnake. Both arms were missing large sections of flesh. One arm was used to graft the other arm. The procedure looked like it had been very painful.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:00 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Oh I know, I'd love another one to care for. Unfortunately most species can really suffer if they aren't part of a large colony. Some fruit bat species are occasionally sold in singles or pairs to unsuspecting buyers. It is very cruel. Plus, it would only be humane to provide free flying for them. There are bat rehabilitators in quite a few states you might be able to contact to volunteer to work with. A great very active bat conservation group I'd suggest contacting is Bat World Sanctuary. Based in TX, but have active members in other states.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:15 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Oh I know, I'd love another one to care for. Unfortunately most species can really suffer if they aren't part of a large colony. Some fruit bat species are occasionally sold in singles or pairs to unsuspecting buyers. It is very cruel. Plus, it would only be humane to provide free flying for them. There are bat rehabilitators in quite a few states you might be able to contact to volunteer to work with. A great very active bat conservation group I'd suggest contacting is Bat World Sanctuary. Based in TX, but have active members in other states.

I wouldn't want to do anything that would make a critter unhappy.

BUT, when we move to the mainland in a couple years I WILL look them up and see if they need volunteers. Thank you!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-20-2018, 09:58 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
cats, dogs, parrot, lizard (it clamped on, I had to hold it under water to make it let go), and a huge parrot fish bit my knee when I was snorkeling. That left a mark for a couple of days.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:04 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:

I wouldn't want to do anything that would make a critter unhappy.

BUT, when we move to the mainland in a couple years I WILL look them up and see if they need volunteers. Thank you!
Many Pacific islands have populations of fruit bats. Check to see if there are any wildlife rehabilitators where you live.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:20 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
Quote:
Its pretty unusual for a bat to actually attack someone. They are not aggressive by nature. The ER staff hoped to test it for rabies so they wouldn't have to give you the series. Bats are carriers, but so is any mammal, and not nearly as frequently as media scare tactics would have you think. You are more likely to get leptospirosis or histoplasmosis from colonial bats. Either way, no bat to test, best to treat. I had no idea how much the series cost!

Spent a winter caring for an injured non-releasable little brown bat once. He was incredibly smart. Got used to handling very quickly and became a friendly sociable little guy. Taught himself to eat and drink out of a bowl in a couple of days which was amazing as insectivorous bats learn to feed on the wing only. As long as he was with someone he was content....tucked into a shirt pocket, under a collar, up a sleeve, chattering away in his tiny voice. Just adored him. Beautiful silky fur, cute face, wonderful creatures. They get such a bad rap. He became an ambassador bat in TX...they can live for over 20 years!

I actually like bats too! We have a bat house in our yard even...this was just a weird one off. These kinds of things seem to find me lol!

Old 03-05-2018, 02:57 AM

764 posts, read 94,652 times
Blue & gold Macaw. Bit my thumb to the bone and wouldn’t release.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:29 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Did OP find out what was biting her...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness