Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,328,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
I'm no expert but I believe a colonoscopy is the best method to check for pre and colon cancer. Certainly some risk as in any medical procedure.

My brother developed some symptoms and was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer at age 67. Lasted about one year. He did see doctors over the years but never had a colonoscopy.
I had my first at age 56 after his death.

Would suggest everyone have a colonoscopy at ACS and Dr.s recommended age.

I agree totally. My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer at the age of 53. He hadnt felt sick at all and had just had his annual physical a month prior. He just happened to see blood in his stool and went to the doctor. He died a horrible death less than 3 months later.

I've had 4-5 colonoscopies and have had polyps removed each time. I know that polyps, if not removed, can become malignant (not all colorectal polyps become cancer, but all colon and rectal cancers start from polyps). So I dont understand those who brag that they've never had, and never will have, a colonoscopy.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:00 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,886,224 times
I too am overdue for my 1st colonoscopy and I really hate to go there, but the fact is that although infections, perforations, and other complications are rare for most people who undergo the procedure, they are not rare at all if you are a racial minority. The Cologuard was looking good to me and just this morning I told my wife I want to find out more about it. A false positive wasn't even on my radar. This thread now has the conspiracist in me wondering if they aren't biased towards a positive reading when in doubt. No downside to Cologuard, they've made a sale, and their conscience can be clear that in the worst case the consumer will get the back up colonoscopy. Which for most is a non-issue.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:04 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,954,953 times
If you have a family history, colonoscopy is the way to go because that's the only way to find polyps.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:19 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,502,556 times
My MIL never had one either. She was full of colon cancer by the time they found it, lived only 2 weeks. She was 85.

Going under is dangerous past 80.

That Dr Death in Vegas, his referral insurance had to know something was up and cheap as he was doing them. Maybe he be getting his just rewards as he has died.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:07 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,387,113 times
I had a colonoscopy for the first time in my 30's. The worst part was the Prep. I'm still feeling the side effects of the Prep two days later. Well, I have to redo the colonoscopy because the Prep didn't clean me out enough for them to see everything. Now, I have to do two days of fasting and Prep. I'm not looking forward to that. I'll go back in May for the 2nd attempt.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:12 PM

102,089 posts, read 107,180,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've never had one and have no plans at 79. Now a friend and I think it was her first at 66 I think is her age, had a Virtual. Everything was fine she said.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-inf...al-colonoscopy
They don't do the regular ones after age 70 or 75

Old 02-23-2018, 12:13 PM

5,237 posts, read 3,577,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I had a colonoscopy for the first time in my 30's. The worst part was the Prep. I'm still feeling the side effects of the Prep two days later. Well, I have to redo the colonoscopy because the Prep didn't clean me out enough for them to see everything. Now, I have to do two days of fasting and Prep. I'm not looking forward to that. I'll go back in May for the 2nd attempt.
It could be the day or 2 before your "cleanse" not being right, just have broth & apple cider & lemon jello for the 2 days previous along with water. Much better than back to back procedures, good luck!

Old 02-23-2018, 12:19 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,328,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They don't do the regular ones after age 70 or 75

I just had my 5th regular colonoscopy last month and I'm almost 72. I was told I need to have another one in 2-3 years, because of my father's history and also because of polyps.

I dont mind the prep at all. I add a lot of ice to my prep drink, although that's only because I always like ice in my drinks. I also dont eat anything solid on the day before prepping -- I have just soups and jello. That seems to make the prep day go a lot easier.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:23 PM

10,329 posts, read 7,911,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Well, I have to redo the colonoscopy because the Prep didn't clean me out enough for them to see everything.
Eat low residue foods (like soups) for several days prior to the start of the prep and things should go better. It's easier to completely clean the colon out when there's not much in there to remove!

Old 02-23-2018, 12:27 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,115,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
I’ve been seeing a commercial for this: https://www.cologuardtest.com. I’m overdue for my first colonoscopy and plan on asking my doctor about this.
I just had my first... I decided to use Cologuard because I don't have a lot of friends who could wait with me without taking time from work and then take me home. Be aware that the Cologuard test is rejected for payment by some insurers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness