U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 AM

13,140 posts, read 36,041,144 times

Advertisements

They are getting ever so close to using Stem Cells in Humans for a whole host of diseases. However what's sad is that it looks like they can cure mice of any disease now and yet humans are still waiting for these breakthroughs.

Scientists make stem cell Parkinson's breakthrough - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 09:45 AM

27,015 posts, read 38,276,182 times
Once President-select Bush is gone things should change for the better. We can only hope...

Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 PM

16,183 posts, read 27,535,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Once President-select Bush is gone things should change for the better. We can only hope...
I am not a Bush supporter, but what he didn't sign was a bill to allow for tax-payer's money to be used for stem-cell (from embryos) research. I personally don't want the government to pay for such things. I prefer the shareholders to pay for such research, that way they can make lots of money when their company discovers something new. I sincerely hope that the new president never signs a bill that takes tax payer's money to give to a private company. Besides, they have already discovered ways to create stem cell from sources other than embryos.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:26 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,206,285 times
Great news! Of course like everything it will take forever before it's available for humans. Still waiting on the outcomes from the very successful research into remyelination using stem cell therapy in mice.
Bring it all on I say and hurry up about it!

Old 03-25-2008, 12:45 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,269,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Great news! Of course like everything it will take forever before it's available for humans. Still waiting on the outcomes from the very successful research into remyelination using stem cell therapy in mice.
Bring it all on I say and hurry up about it!
God I hope they get this breakthrough. I know that there are some very good results from Stem cell therapy with MS patients. It does not stop the disease, but it does "reset" the desease to an earlyer state.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
God I hope they get this breakthrough. I know that there are some very good results from Stem cell therapy with MS patients. It does not stop the disease, but it does "reset" the desease to an earlyer state.
Well my understanding is that they've managed to remyelinate the nerves, but it won't repair existing scaring or stop the inflammation process. I think the idea is if they can use the stem cell therapy fast enough it would stop new damage occuring, which would in effect slow down the disease symptoms. As far as I can see, and with my basic knowledge it is THE BEST treatment option available at this time and I wish they would hurry up and make it a widely available.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Well my understanding is that they've managed to remyelinate the nerves, but it won't repair existing scaring or stop the inflammation process. I think the idea is if they can use the stem cell therapy fast enough it would stop new damage occuring, which would in effect slow down the disease symptoms. As far as I can see, and with my basic knowledge it is THE BEST treatment option available at this time and I wish they would hurry up and make it a widely available.
There are four DMD's for MS, three of them have some pretty bad side affects, all have been proven to slow the progression. I want something a bit more effective though. I am on Copaxone, which has showed 35% slowing of progression (around 1 attack every 5 years)

the only problem with the stem cell treatment, is they have to completly remove your immune system and rebuild it from the stem cells. I dont have the time to get away from work to try this, it is still in trials if I remember the reading.

I am progressing very very slowly so far (knock on wood) and hope something that can stop progression comes in my lifetime.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
There are four DMD's for MS, three of them have some pretty bad side affects, all have been proven to slow the progression. I want something a bit more effective though. I am on Copaxone, which has showed 35% slowing of progression (around 1 attack every 5 years)

the only problem with the stem cell treatment, is they have to completly remove your immune system and rebuild it from the stem cells. I dont have the time to get away from work to try this, it is still in trials if I remember the reading.

I am progressing very very slowly so far (knock on wood) and hope something that can stop progression comes in my lifetime.
Not sure what treatments are available with you. I know we have Copaxone, Rebif, Interferon and Avonex here.

I wasn't aware that they'd have to completely remove and rebuild the immune system in order for the therapy to work. Sounds like a very complicated procedure.
I do recall when they announced that the remylenation in mice had been successful that it would be about 5 years until they began human trials of the therapy and I'm fairly sure that I heard the announcement in 2002 or 2003. So they must be awfully close to that now. I did go to a public lecture on stem cell research a couple of years ago that was very interesting. I'm sure if I hunted out the professor that conducted the lecture I could find more information on how much closer they are.

Anyway, touch wood and fingers crossed Noahma.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Not sure what treatments are available with you. I know we have Copaxone, Rebif, Interferon and Avonex here.

I wasn't aware that they'd have to completely remove and rebuild the immune system in order for the therapy to work. Sounds like a very complicated procedure.
I do recall when they announced that the remylenation in mice had been successful that it would be about 5 years until they began human trials of the therapy and I'm fairly sure that I heard the announcement in 2002 or 2003. So they must be awfully close to that now. I did go to a public lecture on stem cell research a couple of years ago that was very interesting. I'm sure if I hunted out the professor that conducted the lecture I could find more information on how much closer they are.

Anyway, touch wood and fingers crossed Noahma.
There are some amazing things in the pipelines for various forms of MS, and other diseases as well. Now that they are able to tailor make drugs to seek out and destroy the cells that cause various problems, we will see more to come.

I had been doing research before I had been diagnosed, and found that they do have to destroy your immune system and rebuild it with your own adult stem cells to get the benifit. This requires 6 months or so of being in a clean room while your system "reboots" but some with MS that were unable to walk, or had various other problems with this unpredictable disease were noticing reversal of the problems. quite amazing if you ask me

Old 03-25-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
There are some amazing things in the pipelines for various forms of MS, and other diseases as well. Now that they are able to tailor make drugs to seek out and destroy the cells that cause various problems, we will see more to come.

I had been doing research before I had been diagnosed, and found that they do have to destroy your immune system and rebuild it with your own adult stem cells to get the benifit. This requires 6 months or so of being in a clean room while your system "reboots" but some with MS that were unable to walk, or had various other problems with this unpredictable disease were noticing reversal of the problems. quite amazing if you ask me
Well that sounds excellent! I must admit it's been a while since I read up on some of the latest therapies. I'm sure 6 months for a reboot that could reverse so many of the symptoms would definitely be worthwhile for a lot of people with MS.

I saw recently that they've finally managed to identify the gene that causes motor neurone. A long way to go to stamp out that awful disease but still it's nice to see that they're on the right path.

I think the advances in stem cell research will bring so much benefit to people with all kinds of diseases. I'd love to see the end of alzheimer's, MS, motor neurone, all the horrible things that are out there that people suffer with every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness