U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 12:05 PM

972 posts, read 459,215 times

Advertisements

I've been taking a statin for years and my memory is fine. Just throwing that out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 04:00 PM

9,910 posts, read 2,791,554 times
I'm in my mid 40's and have taken a statin for about 5 years now. I take it because my cardiologist says I should and I was born with a congenital heart defect. It's been proven that my high cholesterol is not due to my diet but hereditary. I was not happy about taking a statin, but I have had no side effects. If I didn't have an issue with my heart I probably would try as much as I could to avoid taking it as with any medicine, but in my case I do believe it's the best thing to keep me healthy.

On a side not, dementia runs in woman on my DH's side of the family. Not one of them ever took statins.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:27 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,867,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplecow View Post
Although I was only a caregiver, and although the person I have in mind on this subject had a host of other psychological issues, I know statins hastened dementia/depression/anhedonia/total loss of interest in life.

I was actually fired by a doctor for not taking three different forms of statins, after I explained to her two very bad reactions (when I was in my early 40's). This female physician is a menace to society in my opinion.

I don't doubt a single word of what you've posted and what I've read about the big bucks involved in doctors being statin-pushers. Not a word.

I happen to agree with this. One almost did me in because she did the classic stereotype and thought I was being a baby or whatever (body language was unbelievable). 3 weeks later I was having emergency surgery because she didn't believe a word I said. If they can't leave their baggage at home they have no business being a DR. My surgeon kicked her fanny when I told him about my experience with her.

I've had 2 more female DRs since and I'm not anymore impressed. No more.

Last edited by Umbria; 03-05-2018 at 04:41 PM..

Old 03-05-2018, 09:32 PM

15,225 posts, read 4,794,650 times
https://spacedoc.com/articles/dr-sinatra-cholesterol

Old 03-06-2018, 02:46 AM

32,353 posts, read 37,568,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So in your opinion i should stop taking statins as they are bad for my mental and physical health and instead follow the advice of an MD from Spacedocs,a one Steven Senatra MD,and i presume buy into his line of supplements ?= https://www.google.ca/search?q=dr+st...w=1098&bih=512

Old 03-06-2018, 04:13 AM

11,232 posts, read 12,524,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I am not sure that the memory loss with Statins leads to dementia / alzheimers only because I believe those are more complicated but I am as sure as I can be believe it involves a milder form of memory loss. This is based on my interactions with many people taking statins vrs people who are not in the workplace. I suspect that the issue is cholesterol. Your mind needs cholesterol........
Sure, but what statins are going to eliminate cholesterol, or even push it down to unnatural levels?

I suppose somewhere out there there might be an individual or a handful who did have this happen, there seems to at least miniscule exceptions for every rule in every book. But I have never heard of either of these reactions.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:30 AM

9,910 posts, read 2,791,554 times
I actually feel better when I take my statin. It also helps keep me regular.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:30 AM

6,415 posts, read 6,267,759 times
It causes short-term memory loss in many patients. The drug companies claim that it is not dementia because the side-effect disappears once the statin use is stopped. It is essentially being classified as temporary dementia like a lot of other causes, such as urinary tract infections, where the brain function is stressed.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...gical-effects/

There is a caveat though with temporary dementia. Some reports say that accumulated damage to the brain from UTIs, general anesthesia, and other causes could lead to permanent dementia.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:27 AM

15,225 posts, read 4,794,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So in your opinion i should stop taking statins as they are bad for my mental and physical health and instead follow the advice of an MD from Spacedocs,a one Steven Senatra MD,and i presume buy into his line of supplements ?= https://www.google.ca/search?q=dr+st...w=1098&bih=512
I can't believe I"m reading this, I tell no one to stop their medications!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2018, 11:15 AM

32,353 posts, read 37,568,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I can't believe I"m reading this, I tell no one to stop their medications!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then whats the point of the topic? if not to dissuade people from taking those evil statin drugs that evidently only serve to pad the bank accounts of big pharma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness