U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2018, 12:43 PM

20,133 posts, read 6,664,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
The best way to fight dementia of the aging variety (Alzheimer's and other types of dementia may be hereditary) is by exercising the body and the mind. Be careful of supplements because if we eat right we really don't need them unless we have a deficiency like Vitamin B12. Overtaking certain supplements can cause more harm than good and some supplements interact badly with medications you may be on.
I agree with you to a big point re: exercise etc BUT many older folks with joint issues etc have a hard time with exercise, many are happy to be walking. I know a LOT of older people who play bridge and it's amazing for the brain/memory. I take supps that help with overall circulation including the brain to the toes. My joint issues with advanced OA have stopped me from major moving. Long story there.

With aging comes deficiencies. If only our foods did it all and many older folks again don't eat well, many have to cook for themselves and can't do it like they did all their lives. I know a lot of older people.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:48 PM

465 posts, read 226,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
All this chemistry is way over my head but is it basically saying how important cholesterol is. I've been taking COQ10 as part of my heart health regime for some time. Is it not necessary? Thanks.
No, CoQ10 is important to supplement if you are older, and ESPECIALLY if you're on statins. I was just saying that it doesn't solve ALL of the problems associated with statins.

I don't even understand the full HMG-CoA pathway. But there are many products in between HMG CoA and cholesterol, so you're messing with all of those. There are more direct ways to block cholesterol, if it truly is a problem.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:04 PM

3,542 posts, read 1,000,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
To the people that suggest taking CoQ10 (yet another cost) will alleviate all negative side-effects, what about prenylation?

Here are the things that you are inhibiting, way before HMG-CoA gets made into cholesterol: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...se_pathway.svg

That's completely ignoring the downstream products of cholesterol, which are both numerous and absolutely vital.

My point is, you're inhibiting a very important pathway high up in the chain, with a million downstream products, in a LARGE segment of an unhealthy population. All based on the poor assumption that high cholesterol is THE CAUSATIVE factor in heart disease. That bothers me, and I can see why some people feel the dire need to inform the uninformed.

Do doctors really check anything else related to the HMG-CoA reductase pathway? Or do they only see high cholesterol and prescribe a generic statin?

And yeah, 15 threads might be overkill XD
YES!! It is a DIRE NEED, people should be informed!

There is so much arrogance in our medical industry. Assuming they understand things better than nature does. They can mess with vital processes that are MUCH too complicated to fully understand.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:58 AM

21,847 posts, read 26,622,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
There is so much arrogance in our medical industry. Assuming they understand things better than nature does. They can mess with vital processes that are MUCH too complicated to fully understand.
Just because you do not understand those "vital processes" does not mean there are no experts that do, right down to the molecular level and the genetics for more and more of it.

How does "nature" understand anything?

Old Today, 01:33 PM

7,245 posts, read 6,796,983 times
Study: Statins are overprescribed for primary prevention (preventing first heart attack or stroke)

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/03/healt...udy/index.html

It's no longer recommended for primary prevention as of several years ago; i.e., when it went off-patent. But there's still substantial financial benefit in prescribing them since 3-month follow-up visits are then required.

Old Today, 01:50 PM

28,110 posts, read 11,883,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Good news, looks like it does not cause memory loss and may even help to prevent Alzheimers.
My doctor put me on a low dose statin in order to protect against alzheimers (I have low cholesterol levels). Most of my female relatives lived to be 95 or older and she figured I might too since I'm in exceptionally good health at 72. I don't know if she's right or not but I trust her and haven't noticed any memory loss in the 6 months or so that I have been taking them.

Old Today, 02:09 PM

8,068 posts, read 5,588,384 times
https://www.healthline.com/health/hi...nd-memory-loss

There is no link between statin use and memory loss.

My professional opinion, not based on the article, is that memory loss can be attributed to the high cholesterol itself.

Alzheimer's, on the other hand, is genetic

Old Today, 02:23 PM

7,245 posts, read 6,796,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My doctor put me on a low dose statin in order to protect against alzheimers (I have low cholesterol levels). Most of my female relatives lived to be 95 or older and she figured I might too since I'm in exceptionally good health at 72. I don't know if she's right or not but I trust her and haven't noticed any memory loss in the 6 months or so that I have been taking them.
Statins are linked to a 50 percent higher risk of diabetes which also puts you at a higher risk for Alzheimer's. Cardiovascular disease is associated with vascular dementia. Do some research on vitamin B12 and absorption. If you're not on a diabetes medication now, be aware that they deplete your vitamin B12 levels and the absorption of the vitamin, and that the prescribed vitamin B12 levels on the test may be inadequate for determining its deficiency in the elderly. Long-term vitamin B12 deficiency can cause irreversible and progressive neurological conditions.

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...eficiency-does

Last edited by lchoro; Today at 02:41 PM..

Old Today, 02:38 PM

28,110 posts, read 11,883,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Statins are linked to a 50 percent higher risk of diabetes which also puts you at a higher risk for Alzheimer's. Cardiovascular disease is associated with vascular dementia. Do some research on vitamin B12 and absorption. If you're not on a diabetes medication now, be aware that they deplete your vitamin B12 levels, the absorption of the vitamin, and that the prescribed vitamin B12 levels on the test may be inadequate for determining its deficiency in the elderly. Long-term vitamin B12 deficiency can cause irreversible and progressive neurological conditions.

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...eficiency-does
I've been taking vitamin B12 on the recommendation of the same doctor. My fasting blood sugar level is 80 and there is no family history of diabetes. The 10 mg statin is the only prescription drug that I am currently taking.

Old Today, 02:42 PM

20,133 posts, read 6,664,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.healthline.com/health/hi...nd-memory-loss

There is no link between statin use and memory loss.

My professional opinion, not based on the article, is that memory loss can be attributed to the high cholesterol itself.

Alzheimer's, on the other hand, is genetic
So much of what I've read it can be attributed to too low cholesterol...so many older folks on statins and in memory loss homes. Of course, Mike, it depends who's publications one wants to read and who is paid for saying what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.