U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 04:55 PM

1,807 posts, read 775,683 times

Advertisements

I haven't had gastroenteritis in a very long time *knocks on wood*. Any diarrhea or stomach pain? At least it is a mild case and doesn't sound like the dreaded Noro. Eat the BRAT diet until you are feeling 100%. Black tea and ginger are both great for upset stomachs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 06:46 PM

304 posts, read 91,897 times
There is a strain of stomach virus going around this year that is particularly nasty because it involves fever. It sounds like that is what you had. It's not at all fun. Having fever aches and pains and tiredness on top of typical stomach bug tiredness and aches...it's an extra level of misery. I hope you are feeling a lot better by now. In fact I hope you are feeling like a superhero

Make sure you clean any area that had contact with feces or vomit well so you don't let the virus remain to infect others. Lysol wipes aren't really effective. You'll have to break out the bleach bottle for this one.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:12 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,688,588 times
I feel better now except for a few cold sores that just appeared on my bottom lip today. They hurt but I am taking care of it with a prescription I have. I was able to eat more today.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:50 PM

84,987 posts, read 98,832,039 times
^^Good to hear!

Old 03-06-2018, 09:06 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,223,384 times
Get yourself some good probiotics - Acidophilus.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/24547745

Old 03-07-2018, 06:12 AM

16,942 posts, read 19,688,588 times
today my sores look worse. Looks like impetigo now. Weather permitting I plan to go to urgent care today. We are expecting a Nor-Easter and I also have to return to work. Never considered probiotics but I will definitely consider it now.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:36 AM

13,379 posts, read 7,135,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I hate to say this, but there's no such illness. I'm not saying you weren't sick; I'm sure you are. But you don't have flu of any kind. Yes, stomach bugs are always going around. Drink lots of fluids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Is "stomach bug" a more medically accurate term than "stomach flu"? Surely they are both just colloquialisms.
Quote:
"Stomach bug" is far more accurate. Stomach infections have nothing to do with influenza (flu), and are a frequent cause of people saying they got a flu shot but got the "flu" anyway. The medical term is gastroenteritis, if you prefer.
Quote:
Many viruses and bacteria can cause gastroenteritis. The OP should not go off and demand antibiotics.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/gastroenteritis/guide/
Quote:
Sorry, one of my pet peeves. We've had a tough flu season, it doesn't need to be made any worse with people conflating stomach issues with influenza. If you didn't want advice, you shouldn't have posted. I did not suggest you go to the doctor.
Come on...you're not sorry in the slightest but at least you're admitting it's a pet peeve...and the OP never suggested in any way that they were planning to go to the doctor - that was you chastising that they'd better not even be thinking about getting an antibiotic!

If only the OP had thought to put quotes around "flu" that might have saved us from all this negativity. Sorry OP - glad you're starting to feel better!

Old 03-07-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Come on...you're not sorry in the slightest but at least you're admitting it's a pet peeve...and the OP never suggested in any way that they were planning to go to the doctor - that was you chastising that they'd better not even be thinking about getting an antibiotic!

If only the OP had thought to put quotes around "flu" that might have saved us from all this negativity. Sorry OP - glad you're starting to feel better!
1. OK, sorry is a figure of speech, and maybe I'm sorry the OP didn't understand the difference. I never freaking advised the OP to go the doctor, and I didn't say to not even be thinking about an antibiotic. I said not to go off demanding an antibiotic because a previous poster said his/her symptoms couldn't possibly be caused by a virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You beat me to it - some/many call it stomach flu but there is no such thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I am sorry for your illness, whatever it was. Being sick and away from home base is stressful. There is no virus that causes this, it is bacteria. That can be treated or cleansed from your system with antibiotics. See a doctor to be treated or go to a first care infirmary. Drink a lot of fluids if you can.
Quote:
Many viruses and bacteria can cause gastroenteritis. The OP should not go off and demand antibiotics.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/gastroenteritis/guide/

People do need to learn these stomach problems are not flu. One of the links I posted talked about food poisoning and how when the author learned about that, he started putting the Christmas turkey in the refrigerator instead of leaving it all all day to nibble on and didn't have a recurrence. If you think it's the flu, you won't think it's the turkey.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:03 AM

3,272 posts, read 2,340,204 times
Quote:
People do need to learn these stomach problems are not flu.
For those of us who never had the flu, what are the symptoms?

Old 03-07-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
For those of us who never had the flu, what are the symptoms?
Severe cough; body aches; sudden onset, feel like you've been hit by a truck; usually fever. Rarely vomiting and/or diarrhea (more often in kids who seem to get diarrhea with just about everything). Sometimes other symptoms like sore throat. Not so much the runny nose stuff with a cold. Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness