U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 352 times

Advertisements

I was bit by a neighborhood cat on the index finger Sat Afternoon. By Sunday noon ( 15 hrs)
the redness and swelling had spread one and a half inches from the tooth penetration hole to just past my knuckle and just onto my palm.

I began to take Augmentin ( amoxycillian with Clavulanate pill form ) in a high dose after visiting doctor.

Now Tuesday noon, the line of redness and swelling and tenderness has spread to my wrist.

I have a doc appt for Wed morn at 10:30am for review of progress.

I am thinking that I may be infected with a different bacteria than what the antibiotics prescribed
are for.

The did not do a blood culture to see what has infected me and I think those take 24-36 hours anyway
and dont always work out .... so in the meantime what is the next most likely antibiotic for me
to take based on historical cat bite infections ?

If this line of redness does not stop moving, then I get Sepsis in the blood and I die right ?

What is the next most likely antibiotic to be prescribed ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 09:58 AM

17,582 posts, read 3,567,272 times
Only your physician can address medications regarding your issues.

You could call in to the office now, today and let them know you feel redness is spreading, that you are concerned....

..they might work you in for an appt today....or send you to the ER....

Last edited by greatblueheron; 03-06-2018 at 10:15 AM..

Old 03-06-2018, 10:03 AM

2,993 posts, read 1,714,010 times
My mom always used to say what you said OP. Did they give you a tetanus shot? Not to scare you, (maybe Mom said it because we were kids and always ran around barefoot-stepping on nails was something that happened frequently) but Mom always said if the line reaches your heart, you can die. I got three tetanus shots just as a rugrat, from the red line coming up my body towards my heart.

Again, I'm no doctor, just repeating what I've heard. It could be completely different, but if it was me, I'd see another doctor for second opinion and get that tetanus shot.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:12 AM

9,157 posts, read 6,342,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preventec47 View Post
I was bit by a neighborhood cat on the index finger Sat Afternoon. By Sunday noon ( 15 hrs)
the redness and swelling had spread one and a half inches from the tooth penetration hole to just past my knuckle and just onto my palm.

I began to take Augmentin ( amoxycillian with Clavulanate pill form ) in a high dose after visiting doctor.

Now Tuesday noon, the line of redness and swelling and tenderness has spread to my wrist.

I have a doc appt for Wed morn at 10:30am for review of progress.

I am thinking that I may be infected with a different bacteria than what the antibiotics prescribed
are for.

The did not do a blood culture to see what has infected me and I think those take 24-36 hours anyway
and dont always work out .... so in the meantime what is the next most likely antibiotic for me
to take based on historical cat bite infections ?

If this line of redness does not stop moving, then I get Sepsis in the blood and I die right ?

What is the next most likely antibiotic to be prescribed ?
If that infection has spread as you describe, you need to take it to the ER now and not wait till your doctor's appointment. You might want to call your doc's office, tell them your symptoms and let them know you need to be seen sooner than tomorrow AM.

If the wound is from a cat bite, it could be infected with a bacteria (Pasteurella multocida)that is normally found in cat oral cavities, but which causes serious infections in wounds. This can spread as you describe from a cat bite (or scratch, sometimes) that has become infected, and may cause cellulitis, or even osteomyelitis (bone infection) if the bite has pierced the periosteum, the covering of the bones and tendons (sometimes this occurs when kitty has bitten around the person's knuckles).

And yes, it is possible for such an infection to get into the bloodstream, and cause sepsis.

It sounds as though the antibiotics you are taking are not at this point doing their job of preventing or eradicating the infection, sounds like you need a different course (I don't know exactly what they would use for that ) or possibly IV antibiotics.

So I'd contact your doctor, get to the ER, and make sure you inform the ER that your wound is from a cat bite.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:19 AM

4,851 posts, read 5,912,282 times
Get to your doctor or ER ASAP.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:24 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,129,185 times
Go to the doctor or emergency room NOW. Don't wait, the infection is spreading. Go now.

Also if your tetanus shot isn't current you will need to get one.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:49 AM

10,864 posts, read 18,910,587 times
I had a cat bite that spread like that. I ended up having to have the puncture wound opened up and cleaned out, along with antibiotics. You definitely should get it seen today, not wait until tomorrow's appointment.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:34 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,058,508 times
I wouldn't wait for that doctor's appointment. I'd call them them and say you need to be seen immediately.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:42 PM

304 posts, read 91,975 times
You should go to the ER now. In fact I hope you are there now. Doctors will throw antibiotics at you and see what works (don't get me wrong you do absolutely need an antibiotic! but there are different classes and sometimes it's trail and error) but it's late in the day now and your infection is spreading. If it was 9 am I'd say call your doctor and get squeezed in today but since it's late now you should head off to the ER.

I've had a few cat bites (kind of the nature of my job) and have been put on Cipro for most of them. All were perfectly survivable but you really cannot wait and see with animal bites. I'd go to the ER and follow up with the doctor tomorrow as scheduled.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:25 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,265,843 times
Go to the ER now. That's spreading rapidly. You need IV antibiotics. I don't care what your insurance is, what your deductible is, just go now. It's not worth losing your limb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness