U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-12-2018, 02:43 PM
 
321 posts, read 270,800 times
Reputation: 195

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Pounding head pain, neck pain, nausea, and sensitivity to light? First guess is a migraine.


Anyone in your family suffer from migraines? They can be triggered by all sorts of things - it doesn't have to be pinned on junk food or such. The best red wine and the finest dark chocolate, or the fanciest cheeses can be some people's triggers. If you get another certainly go speak to your doctor. Normal headache pain medication generally won't work, but there are medicines that do.
Nobody in my family suffers from migraines, and I posted that I wasn't sensitive to light, which is why I didn't think it was a migraine. But I know migraines don't always include that symptom, so if that's definitely what it was, it could very well be stress related.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2018, 03:27 PM
 
2,281 posts, read 905,286 times
Reputation: 4401
It definitely sounds like a migraine to me, particularly when you add in the Chinese food element. Chinese food is such a huge trigger, particularly with cafeteria Chinese which I imagine would just slather everything in soy. Soy can really trigger migraines. Usually items that involve fermentation/aging tend to be triggers. I absolutely get bad neck pain when I have a migraine. That is one of my main symptoms along with head pain, but sensitivity to light doesn’t occur as often.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 04:57 PM
 
321 posts, read 270,800 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It definitely sounds like a migraine to me, particularly when you add in the Chinese food element. Chinese food is such a huge trigger, particularly with cafeteria Chinese which I imagine would just slather everything in soy. Soy can really trigger migraines. Usually items that involve fermentation/aging tend to be triggers. I absolutely get bad neck pain when I have a migraine. That is one of my main symptoms along with head pain, but sensitivity to light doesn’t occur as often.
That's good. I had 2 small cookies and a cinnamon bun for dessert tonight, and I feel absolutely fine, but I'm paranoid it will happen again (in case it was the sugar that caused it last time). But I had a lot more sugar last time than this, and the sugar was not even 5 mins after eating the Chinese food. Just was a bad combination.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 08:44 PM
 
9,738 posts, read 6,887,258 times
Reputation: 16965
I'm trying to figure out if you're male or female. I had my first migraine during an exciting showing of Toy Story on Ice with my two young boys. oh yay! I wasn't sure what was wrong with me but I nearly had to pull over to throw up on the way home. Scared me to pieces. After that I noticed they began to hit me fairly regularly with my monthly cycle. I'd recognize the early symptoms and head them off with Excedrin Migraine. I also began watching my nutrition and taking a good multi-vitamin. That was part of it, I think, the nutrition end of it.

In a way it would be good if it was "just a migraine" on the other hand, it sucks if you start having migraines. I have a friend who gets them from weather changes. ugh.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 06:35 AM
 
1,777 posts, read 770,493 times
Reputation: 2974
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm trying to figure out if you're male or female. I had my first migraine during an exciting showing of Toy Story on Ice with my two young boys. oh yay! I wasn't sure what was wrong with me but I nearly had to pull over to throw up on the way home. Scared me to pieces. After that I noticed they began to hit me fairly regularly with my monthly cycle. I'd recognize the early symptoms and head them off with Excedrin Migraine. I also began watching my nutrition and taking a good multi-vitamin. That was part of it, I think, the nutrition end of it.

In a way it would be good if it was "just a migraine" on the other hand, it sucks if you start having migraines. I have a friend who gets them from weather changes. ugh.
That's awful! I get them with my cycle too.

I manage them pretty well now but the first time I got one, I went to the ER because I thought I was having a stroke.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 10:45 AM
bg7
 
7,698 posts, read 7,311,777 times
Reputation: 14953
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
Nobody in my family suffers from migraines, and I posted that I wasn't sensitive to light, which is why I didn't think it was a migraine. But I know migraines don't always include that symptom, so if that's definitely what it was, it could very well be stress related.
Ok - I misread "and the headache wasn’t so bad that I couldn’t turn the lights on or open my eyes" as it was so bad that you couldn't do those things.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 10:58 AM
 
1,218 posts, read 738,974 times
Reputation: 3145
The one thing not mentioned is an allergy. Could be that you are allergic to an ingredient in something you ate. Particularly in the free food that (presumably) a number of different people baked? Could have been a nut or something you've never had before.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2018, 07:43 AM
 
321 posts, read 270,800 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
The one thing not mentioned is an allergy. Could be that you are allergic to an ingredient in something you ate. Particularly in the free food that (presumably) a number of different people baked? Could have been a nut or something you've never had before.
As far as I know I do not have any food allergies.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top