U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:43 PM

350 posts, read 311,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Pounding head pain, neck pain, nausea, and sensitivity to light? First guess is a migraine.

Anyone in your family suffer from migraines? They can be triggered by all sorts of things - it doesn't have to be pinned on junk food or such. The best red wine and the finest dark chocolate, or the fanciest cheeses can be some people's triggers. If you get another certainly go speak to your doctor. Normal headache pain medication generally won't work, but there are medicines that do.
Nobody in my family suffers from migraines, and I posted that I wasn't sensitive to light, which is why I didn't think it was a migraine. But I know migraines don't always include that symptom, so if that's definitely what it was, it could very well be stress related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 03:27 PM

2,862 posts, read 1,130,407 times
It definitely sounds like a migraine to me, particularly when you add in the Chinese food element. Chinese food is such a huge trigger, particularly with cafeteria Chinese which I imagine would just slather everything in soy. Soy can really trigger migraines. Usually items that involve fermentation/aging tend to be triggers. I absolutely get bad neck pain when I have a migraine. That is one of my main symptoms along with head pain, but sensitivity to light doesn’t occur as often.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It definitely sounds like a migraine to me, particularly when you add in the Chinese food element. Chinese food is such a huge trigger, particularly with cafeteria Chinese which I imagine would just slather everything in soy. Soy can really trigger migraines. Usually items that involve fermentation/aging tend to be triggers. I absolutely get bad neck pain when I have a migraine. That is one of my main symptoms along with head pain, but sensitivity to light doesn’t occur as often.
That's good. I had 2 small cookies and a cinnamon bun for dessert tonight, and I feel absolutely fine, but I'm paranoid it will happen again (in case it was the sugar that caused it last time). But I had a lot more sugar last time than this, and the sugar was not even 5 mins after eating the Chinese food. Just was a bad combination.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:44 PM

10,207 posts, read 7,299,340 times
I'm trying to figure out if you're male or female. I had my first migraine during an exciting showing of Toy Story on Ice with my two young boys. oh yay! I wasn't sure what was wrong with me but I nearly had to pull over to throw up on the way home. Scared me to pieces. After that I noticed they began to hit me fairly regularly with my monthly cycle. I'd recognize the early symptoms and head them off with Excedrin Migraine. I also began watching my nutrition and taking a good multi-vitamin. That was part of it, I think, the nutrition end of it.

In a way it would be good if it was "just a migraine" on the other hand, it sucks if you start having migraines. I have a friend who gets them from weather changes. ugh.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:35 AM

1,958 posts, read 891,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm trying to figure out if you're male or female. I had my first migraine during an exciting showing of Toy Story on Ice with my two young boys. oh yay! I wasn't sure what was wrong with me but I nearly had to pull over to throw up on the way home. Scared me to pieces. After that I noticed they began to hit me fairly regularly with my monthly cycle. I'd recognize the early symptoms and head them off with Excedrin Migraine. I also began watching my nutrition and taking a good multi-vitamin. That was part of it, I think, the nutrition end of it.

In a way it would be good if it was "just a migraine" on the other hand, it sucks if you start having migraines. I have a friend who gets them from weather changes. ugh.
That's awful! I get them with my cycle too.

I manage them pretty well now but the first time I got one, I went to the ER because I thought I was having a stroke.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:45 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,530,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
Nobody in my family suffers from migraines, and I posted that I wasn't sensitive to light, which is why I didn't think it was a migraine. But I know migraines don't always include that symptom, so if that's definitely what it was, it could very well be stress related.
Ok - I misread "and the headache wasn’t so bad that I couldn’t turn the lights on or open my eyes" as it was so bad that you couldn't do those things.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:58 AM

1,273 posts, read 802,603 times
The one thing not mentioned is an allergy. Could be that you are allergic to an ingredient in something you ate. Particularly in the free food that (presumably) a number of different people baked? Could have been a nut or something you've never had before.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
The one thing not mentioned is an allergy. Could be that you are allergic to an ingredient in something you ate. Particularly in the free food that (presumably) a number of different people baked? Could have been a nut or something you've never had before.
As far as I know I do not have any food allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or