U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 11:34 PM

15,263 posts, read 6,512,651 times

Advertisements

I'm an over-pronator and have plantar fasciitis.

I second the vote for Vionics. I also like Abeo, which are made to allow enough room for their insoles. It's a system. And the insoles I get from Abeo can be used in other shoes.

And here's an odd thing you might like to try - YogaToes. Many of the problems we have with our feet seem to be exacerbated by the fact that modern shoes result in toes that are scrunched together, rather than spreading wide and gripping the ground as we would do in a state of nature. Spending a few minutes every day stretching my toes out definitely helps keep my foot muscles looser and stretched, which is critical to managing plantar fasciitis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 12:14 AM

4,920 posts, read 2,402,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

I second the vote for Vionics. I also like Abeo, which are made to allow enough room for their insoles. It's a system. And the insoles I get from Abeo can be used in other shoes.

And here's an odd thing you might like to try - YogaToes. Many of the problems we have with our feet seem to be exacerbated by the fact that modern shoes result in toes that are scrunched together, rather than spreading wide and gripping the ground as we would do in a state of nature. Spending a few minutes every day stretching my toes out definitely helps keep my foot muscles looser and stretched, which is critical to managing plantar fasciitis.
Interesting. Didn't know about abeo. Just checked their site and they have nice shoes. $150 for sneakers. I don't care. Ill spend a thousand dollars if I have to, to be comfortable and keep my ankles from "falling in" and to support my arches.

Don't know how they do the 3d scan? I emailed them and will wait for a response

Old 03-11-2018, 05:55 AM

14,308 posts, read 8,835,534 times
I'm on my feet all day at work, and a couple of years ago, I developed plantar fascitis so bad I was limping at the end of the day. I tried all the off the shelf ones, even the elastic bands that pull up on your arch, and nothing worked.

I went to a foot Doctor, and he said "we call this the 6 month, 3 Dr visit ailment". He did cortisone injections and then he fitted me for custom hard plastic shoe inserts that I put in under the padding in my shoes. He was right, 6 months and 3 visits later, no more pain. The inserts have also kept it from coming back, and when I get a new pair of shoes for work, I transfer the inserts over.

It was the best money I have ever spent.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:59 AM

1,511 posts, read 3,017,261 times
Walk Fit orthotics are hard plastic, over the counter, and inexpensive.

https://www.footankle.com/walkfit-or...by-podiatrist/

Old 03-11-2018, 07:30 AM

10,046 posts, read 5,102,612 times
I’ve had custom foot beds in my ski boots since the late 1980s. The good boot fitters around me are all certified pedorthists. I don’t need them in my street shoes but it’s cheap money if you have problems.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:34 AM

10,046 posts, read 5,102,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I'm on my feet all day at work, and a couple of years ago, I developed plantar fascitis so bad I was limping at the end of the day. I tried all the off the shelf ones, even the elastic bands that pull up on your arch, and nothing worked.

I went to a foot Doctor, and he said "we call this the 6 month, 3 Dr visit ailment". He did cortisone injections and then he fitted me for custom hard plastic shoe inserts that I put in under the padding in my shoes. He was right, 6 months and 3 visits later, no more pain. The inserts have also kept it from coming back, and when I get a new pair of shoes for work, I transfer the inserts over.

It was the best money I have ever spent.
Stretching your Achilles tendons 2 or 3 times per day for 5 minutes on an inclined plane can clear that up quickly.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:00 AM

15,687 posts, read 4,945,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Stretching your Achilles tendons 2 or 3 times per day for 5 minutes on an inclined plane can clear that up quickly.
If that is the heel toe foot stretch, I do those every day 2-3 times daily. This is what I learned in the PT works for the knee issue I've been going thru.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:30 AM

11,656 posts, read 9,848,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

I have suffered from plantar fasciitis and have now gone for two years without pain. I went to two different podiatrist to try to correct my problem. They both gave me cortisone injections that I felt were painful and the results did not last very long. However; I did end up with a better understanding of my problem. And, thanks to one of the doctor's suggestions; I stopped at a local shoe store that makes custom made shoes for these podiatrist. For $30 the shoe store sold me two very hard inserts that had a high arch support. However; it was not high enough. I also purchased a set of slip over braces with a latex arch support. I teamed both of the inserts up for one week and I have been pain free for the last three years. There was one time that I started to regress and I used that combination again and after just a few days I was fine.

The way it was explained to me is that, with plantar fasciitis, we sit and we start to heal; then we get up and tear the tissue again. That is where all of our pain comes from; the reinjuring of the tissue trying to heal. So if you get the right height combination; the tissue is not torn when we stand. That is why the hard insole and softer insert 'cured' me.

I forget the brand names of the inserts I did use. But I did find this one comparison guide for shoe inserts for plantar fasciitis: https://runnerclick.com/10-best-plan...oles-reviewed/. While the OP did not mention plantar fasciitis; they wanted the best hard inserts and maybe that will help?

Old 03-11-2018, 12:16 PM

10,868 posts, read 2,059,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I'm an over pronator and have somewhat of a fallen arch and tendonitis in inner ankle area.

Dr scholls inserts are soft and cheap.

I've tried super feet green which are good in the sense they have a rigid bottom but the arch/foot support isnt enough. Birkenstock birkosports cork bottom flattens with weight and wasn't enough to keep arch up/ankle straight so had to send those back.

I ordered Tread labs medium and high arch but sent them back and am waiting for the extra high. I don't think it is going to cut it.

Any suggestions. I need a solid and very stiff insole. A lot of these brands say "rigid" but the plastic collapses under weight of a 6 foot 200 pound male.

Thanks

When I had some of the same issues, the podiatrist recommended the shoe brand....Fitflops...one word.

there are a few different shoe styles...more for women, the major reason they are recommended are the very hard, stiff soles...there is no way to bend or flex....keeps the foot still....The shoes do have a wide toe box, helpful if you have bunions or toe issues....no need for orthotics.

I buy mine at Zappos.com
Just type in Fit Flop to review shoes...

Old 03-11-2018, 12:26 PM

15,687 posts, read 4,945,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
When I had some of the same issues, the podiatrist recommended the shoe brand....Fitflops...one word.

there are a few different shoe styles...more for women, the major reason they are recommended are the very hard, stiff soles...there is no way to bend or flex....keeps the foot still....The shoes do have a wide toe box, helpful if you have bunions or toe issues....no need for orthotics.

I buy mine at Zappos.com
Just type in Fit Flop to review shoes...
My daughter swears by Fit Flops...she is challenged with collapsed tendons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness