U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:37 PM

16,926 posts, read 16,109,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Already have two pairs of flip flops for wearing inside the house which I bought within the last month.

Love them. Maybe a pair of vionic shoes is the answer?

Good point
My doctor told me to never wear flip flops again. He also said to not wear slippers. I recently found some slippers that have a footbed similar to Birkenstocks and they are great. I bought two pair but these are for women.

The Vioncic sandals I bought didn't fit right and made my feet hurt even more. I have two pair of inserts that I put into my shoes.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:49 PM

4,913 posts, read 2,377,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have suffered from plantar fasciitis and have now gone for two years without pain. I went to two different podiatrist to try to correct my problem. They both gave me cortisone injections that I felt were painful and the results did not last very long. However; I did end up with a better understanding of my problem. And, thanks to one of the doctor's suggestions; I stopped at a local shoe store that makes custom made shoes for these podiatrist. For $30 the shoe store sold me two very hard inserts that had a high arch support. However; it was not high enough. I also purchased a set of slip over braces with a latex arch support. I teamed both of the inserts up for one week and I have been pain free for the last three years. There was one time that I started to regress and I used that combination again and after just a few days I was fine.

The way it was explained to me is that, with plantar fasciitis, we sit and we start to heal; then we get up and tear the tissue again. That is where all of our pain comes from; the reinjuring of the tissue trying to heal. So if you get the right height combination; the tissue is not torn when we stand. That is why the hard insole and softer insert 'cured' me.

I forget the brand names of the inserts I did use. But I did find this one comparison guide for shoe inserts for plantar fasciitis: https://runnerclick.com/10-best-plan...oles-reviewed/. While the OP did not mention plantar fasciitis; they wanted the best hard inserts and maybe that will help?
Thanks for the link. Still waiting on extra high tread labs. Should be on my doorstep today or tomorrow. As for the others. Too many brands say "rigid" but they collapse with weight.

Ill continue my search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
When I had some of the same issues, the podiatrist recommended the shoe brand....Fitflops...one word.

there are a few different shoe styles...more for women, the major reason they are recommended are the very hard, stiff soles...there is no way to bend or flex....keeps the foot still....The shoes do have a wide toe box, helpful if you have bunions or toe issues....no need for orthotics.

I buy mine at Zappos.com
Just type in Fit Flop to review shoes...
Ok I looked into fitflops and I'm not seeing anything about good solid arch support
Reviews just say they are comfortable

Old 03-11-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My doctor told me to never wear flip flops again. He also said to not wear slippers. I recently found some slippers that have a footbed similar to Birkenstocks and they are great. I bought two pair but these are for women.

The Vioncic sandals I bought didn't fit right and made my feet hurt even more. I have two pair of inserts that I put into my shoes.

Vionic flip flops. Best arch support around. Look at the picture from behind level to the sandal. Look at that arch support!

Old 03-11-2018, 02:37 PM

https://www.vionicshoes.com/men/sand...-slide-29.html

Old 03-11-2018, 05:55 PM

11,576 posts, read 9,783,401 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link. Still waiting on extra high tread labs. Should be on my doorstep today or tomorrow. As for the others. Too many brands say "rigid" but they collapse with weight.

Ill continue my search
In my little community we have one shoemaker that works with the local podiatrists. You might have one close to you? Maybe you could even call the podiatrist offices and ask who makes their custom shoes? If you find out and it is not too far out of your way; stop in and talk to one of these experienced shoe makers. I presume, like ours, that they also sell inserts. They are the experts for the podiatrist that translate the doctor's orders into an actual shoe. They should be well versed on what might help you.

By the way; I never did want a custom shoe made for me. I know they are expensive from maybe $300/$400/$500 and up. But I have had friends that have had custom shoes made and they were never happy with those shoes. I am sure that some people are happy; it might have just been my particular friends?

Old 03-11-2018, 06:04 PM

16,926 posts, read 16,109,083 times
Quote:
Vionic flip flops. Best arch support around. Look at the picture from behind level to the sandal. Look at that arch support!
YES! Those do look good. Easily adjustable too.

I went and looked at the inserts that I have and you wouldn't want them. They're sort of soft. There is a pad for the ball of the foot and one for the heel. Somehow I arrange them in the shoe so that they support my arches. They work for me but would probably collapse under more weight.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
YES! Those do look good. Easily adjustable too.

I went and looked at the inserts that I have and you wouldn't want them. They're sort of soft. There is a pad for the ball of the foot and one for the heel. Somehow I arrange them in the shoe so that they support my arches. They work for me but would probably collapse under more weight.
Yes the search continues. Maybe I can somehow use some hard foam/plastic and somehow secure it under the tread labs arch so it holds my weight

Old 03-12-2018, 02:50 PM

Update:

Ok so I received the extra high tread labs insoles today. The arch support is very good and I also received metatarsal pads that can be put between the hard plastic and the soft insole.

I think this is going to work. I'm going to get 3m double sided tape and tape a few pieces of hardish small foam pieces under the arch so there isn't too much give/flattening when standing on it.

And it also keeps my ankles fairly straight/controls excess pronation "rolling in" of the ankles.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:33 AM

11,576 posts, read 9,783,401 times
Good luck! Let us know how that works for you in a week or two after you have given the new inserts a proper trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness