U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 08:25 PM

33,159 posts, read 39,134,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP this is what you should look into:
https://www.sportaid.com/sportaid-wh...SAAEgJG4fD_BwE

Lightweight Titanium Folding Wheelchair.
Good link but that chair pictured is $2,884.00. which would equate to the cost of our planned trip .. I'll talk to my insurance company perhaps something like that is covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 08:31 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,397,132 times
I can't recommend any brand names but I can tell you from watching my clients that the "portable ones" are usually NOT comfortable for any length of time.

I'd suggest you go to the medical supply stores and try them out.

The ones I see, for example, sag in the seat part like the thing is collapsing in on you. Not feeling real sturdy. They're sturdy enough but UNCOMFORTABLE.

If it's only for 100 feet at a time. And not, say, sitting all day at Disney, they may be fine.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:34 AM

784 posts, read 682,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Good link but that chair pictured is $2,884.00. which would equate to the cost of our planned trip .. I'll talk to my insurance company perhaps something like that is covered.
Craigslist, Ebay and the other resale sites are great sources for gently used wheelchairs and other hospital-type equipment. I got a wheelchair in great condition for $40 and later, a lightweight "transport" chair ($60) and full electric hospital bed with a "trapeze" attachment for $300.

I second the advice to look for a scooter; my ex got one and it has made a lot of difference in his life. You should also be able to find good deals on used scooters on line.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:23 AM

13,191 posts, read 10,596,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I can't recommend any brand names but I can tell you from watching my clients that the "portable ones" are usually NOT comfortable for any length of time.

I'd suggest you go to the medical supply stores and try them out.

The ones I see, for example, sag in the seat part like the thing is collapsing in on you. Not feeling real sturdy. They're sturdy enough but UNCOMFORTABLE.

If it's only for 100 feet at a time. And not, say, sitting all day at Disney, they may be fine.
At the hospital the other day I got a new style chair for my wife and she hated it; way too hard (like siting on a board). She does much better on the ones with the sagging seat. For the longest time she could not even sit in any chair; but the sagging seat wheel chairs made it tolerable.

I think that you have a very good idea about how the OP should visit the medical supply stores and try some chairs out. Everybody is different and everybody has different needs and tolerances. The OP should also take into consideration if he would be off a paved surface during his proposed trip. I see they do make chairs for off-road.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:09 PM

17,302 posts, read 14,850,963 times
Quote:
The wife and i are planning a major cross country trip this summer and as my walking ability is limited to about 100 ft,she suggested i buy a wheel chair for the trip, would need something light and portable any one have experience with packing a wheel chair for a trip and how light and portable can they get?
Thanks
What you want is called a transport chair. It folds up and weighs about 10 pounds. Amazon is a good source, but if you'd rather buy in person, Rite Aid and CVS have them too. I would sign up for a card first for those stores, CVS will send you a coupon at some point for 30% off.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:39 PM

33,159 posts, read 39,134,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What you want is called a transport chair. It folds up and weighs about 10 pounds. Amazon is a good source, but if you'd rather buy in person, Rite Aid and CVS have them too. I would sign up for a card first for those stores, CVS will send you a coupon at some point for 30% off.
My wife will soon be balking if she has to push me every where,she wont mind pushing occasionally but a transport chair shes going to look at it like she just inherited a new job of pushing me around all the time.
I wonder if a fold up rollator with seat might work.https://www.waltonmedical.com/produc...iABEgI0XfD_BwE

Old 03-12-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
At the hospital the other day I got a new style chair for my wife and she hated it; way too hard (like siting on a board). She does much better on the ones with the sagging seat. For the longest time she could not even sit in any chair; but the sagging seat wheel chairs made it tolerable.

I think that you have a very good idea about how the OP should visit the medical supply stores and try some chairs out. Everybody is different and everybody has different needs and tolerances. The OP should also take into consideration if he would be off a paved surface during his proposed trip. I see they do make chairs for off-road.
Good point. Ironically the clients I'm familiar with are all men!

One of them, age 95, is a real pistol. He turned his lightweight transport chair OVER "driving it" THEN he turned his big old heavy scooter over running up a curb.

They wouldn't let him drive unattended after that.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
My wife will soon be balking if she has to push me every where,she wont mind pushing occasionally but a transport chair shes going to look at it like she just inherited a new job of pushing me around all the time.
I wonder if a fold up rollator with seat might work.https://www.waltonmedical.com/produc...iABEgI0XfD_BwE
It's not advised. Can be dangerous. But I see people doing it. I guess it depends on how spry you are if it starts to tip or you lean wrong, or it goes out from underneath you when you're trying to park yourself in it. . More for sitting than movement. They lock. But that's another story about how people never do the lock thing consistently. So it rolls right out from under you. Even if you lock it it can be tricky.

Unless you mean just using it as a regular old walker and pushing it in front of you. (duh, I guess that's what you meant but I've seen so many people try and be creative LOL.)

Go try some out.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:54 PM

17,302 posts, read 14,850,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
It's not advised. Can be dangerous. But I see people doing it. I guess it depends on how spry you are if it starts to tip or you lean wrong, or it goes out from underneath you when you're trying to park yourself in it. . More for sitting than movement. They lock. But that's another story about how people never do the lock thing consistently. So it rolls right out from under you. Even if you lock it it can be tricky.

Unless you mean just using it as a regular old walker and pushing it in front of you. (duh, I guess that's what you meant but I've seen so many people try and be creative LOL.)

Go try some out.

If he's alert and oriented, there is no reason not to have a rollator for walking. We get them for people all the time in therapy...BUT I agree without training he should not use it. They are for people who can walk fairly well and only need a little bit of support. I don't think it's going to be great for OP's purposes however, and they are also bulky and unwieldy and difficult to get in and out of a car. My mother uses a rollator inside and a standard rolling walker when we go out. There are however 2-wheeled walkers (it's the 4 wheels that make rollators faster and less safe for those who have difficulty walking) with seats as well, although I don't have personal experience with them.

OP, I don't think you are going to have a good time if you are trying to push yourself in a standard wheelchair, it is harder than you think and you're going to be exhausted within a block or 2 doing it over sidewalks and other uneven surfaces. If you're really against your wife pushing you in a transport chair, I would see if you can qualify for a scooter or power w/c, or rent one, and a lift: https://www.usmedicalsupplies.com/Sc...hair-Lifts.htm

You may qualify under Medicare part B, your doctor has to fill out a form attesting that you cannot walk distances (I don't recall at the moment how far you are allowed to be able to walk and still qualify, but 100 feet is not very far). The medical equipment company will assist you with that as well.

If you are going to popular tourist spots, they may have wheelchairs and scooters for loan or rent. I live in a beach resort and we have free loaner wheelchairs (even ones with giant tires to go over sand) and also power scooters. Just check with the visitor's centers in those cities, you can call and find out ahead of time.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:06 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,862,490 times
OP, if you have a medical supply store in your area it may be a good place to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness