U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2018, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Hawaii/Alabama
1,512 posts, read 2,852,628 times
Reputation: 3581

Advertisements

If you can still use your feet you can get one of the lightweight transport chairs you can simply put the foot rests up and scoot about on your own and perhaps your wife can push when you become too tired.

There are also "loan closets" at places like your local center for independent living or elder/disabled care organizations (check your State and or city resources; if you have a particular disease many times contacting a foundation for that disease may have ways to obtain a chair.

As another poster said Medicare part B can get you a wheelchair at 80% (if you have a secondary insurance it can pick up the other 20%).

Keep in mind that Medicare has very specific parameters for a chair and will replace chairs at 5 years intervals, so if you think you may need another wheelchair (power or scooter) within that time period they will not pay for another one.

I hope that you find something that suits your needs and that you enjoy your trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2018, 09:36 PM
 
2,246 posts, read 2,230,022 times
Reputation: 4092
I strongly recommend buying or borrowing a wheelchair with larger back wheels over using a "transport" chair with four small wheels of the same size. More stable and easier to push over rough ground (gravel, for instance) and easier to get over awkward thresholds of doors (back over them).

This video shows a great way to load a wheelchair using a crutch as a lever. I've taught a few this method and they love it. The most dramatic was a woman with mild to moderate rheumatoid arthritis whose husband needed a wheelchair for all mobility. She did this easily. Often.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22SF6HXbQfA

Whatever solution you find that is right for you, have a great trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
7,960 posts, read 4,893,263 times
Reputation: 9477
I imagine there are racks like a bike rack that would hold a wheelchair. Many churches have loaners so you can borrow for the summer. Thrift shops have time very cheap. Enjoy the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top