U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:43 PM

33,142 posts, read 39,090,825 times

Advertisements

The wife and i are planning a major cross country trip this summer and as my walking ability is limited to about 100 ft,she suggested i buy a wheel chair for the trip, would need something light and portable any one have experience with packing a wheel chair for a trip and how light and portable can they get?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 12:52 PM

18,825 posts, read 6,149,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The wife and i are planning a major cross country trip this summer and as my walking ability is limited to about 100 ft,she suggested i buy a wheel chair for the trip, would need something light and portable any one have experience with packing a wheel chair for a trip and how light and portable can they get?
Thanks
There are very lightweight ones, easy to fold pack in auto. Amazon is a great source.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:02 PM

28,238 posts, read 2,199,762 times
Is there any way you can work on building your stamina or walking ability? I met a man in a wheelchair, once, & he told me, getting in the wheelchair was the worst decision of his life, as he became totally dependent on it, & lost the little mobility he had. Some tourist or National Parks will have loaner chairs, which would be easier on your wife than lugging the chair in & out of the car.
I do sympathize with loss of mobility, ( I am a stroke survivor), but if at all possible, keep working on keeping what you have & gaining a little back. Maybe talk to your dr or see if a local senior citizen center offers exercise in a chair options, etc.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Is there any way you can work on building your stamina or walking ability? I met a man in a wheelchair, once, & he told me, getting in the wheelchair was the worst decision of his life, as he became totally dependent on it, & lost the little mobility he had. Some tourist or National Parks will have loaner chairs, which would be easier on your wife than lugging the chair in & out of the car.
I do sympathize with loss of mobility, ( I am a stroke survivor), but if at all possible, keep working on keeping what you have & gaining a little back. Maybe talk to your dr or see if a local senior citizen center offers exercise in a chair options, etc.
I get your point but for me its too late to think im going to recover by physically pushing myself, i go to the gymn every day,do chair yoga twice a week and swimming twice a week yet after 5 years on this regime i'm
just deteriorating to the point walking from car to grocery store is a painful chore then actually walking around the store leaves me out of breath and needing to sit down every few minutes, with a wheel chair this wouldnt be such a problem. I'd really like to do this trip this year as my kidneys are down to 20% function and the need for Dialysis is fast approaching.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:19 PM

28,238 posts, read 2,199,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I get your point but for me its too late to think im going to recover by physically pushing myself, i go to the gymn every day,do chair yoga twice a week and swimming twice a week yet after 5 years on this regime i'm
just deteriorating to the point walking from car to grocery store is a painful chore then actually walking around the store leaves me out of breath and needing to sit down every few minutes, with a wheel chair this wouldnt be such a problem. I'd really like to do this trip this year as my kidneys are down to 20% function and the need for Dialysis is fast approaching.

I am happy that you are working so hard to keep your strength up. I am sure there are plenty of foldable wheelchairs, my Aunt used one, it fit in the trunk of the car. Or even those new rollator walkers have seats on them. Enjoy your trip & safe travels.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:37 PM

10,863 posts, read 18,892,348 times
A transport chair is usually the lightest kind of wheelchair you can get. It's still going to weigh at least 25 pounds, and won't have the big wheels so you can push yourself. The ones with the bigger wheels weigh more, 35 pounds and up. My mom can get my dad's wheelchair in and out of the car (has to go in the back seat in her car, it won't fit the trunk) but it takes a lot of muscle and maneuvering and she usually struggles with it until someone walking past sees her distress and helps her with it.

Sitting in a wheelchair in hot weather is like going around with your butt and thighs wrapped in a coat. You'll sweat more, and maybe even get rashes from the heat. If you need the chair, you need it, but pack some Gold Bond powder to keep jock itch at bay.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:36 PM

I'll need one with the big wheels so i can get around on my own and not rely on the wife pushing me every where.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:58 PM

1,795 posts, read 2,386,539 times
Oh, do I sympathize with you and your wife. My late husband was a "wheelchair driver" for the last five years of his life, although he was rarely the driver -- I was the pusher. I ended up needing physical therapy on my left shoulder from pushing him around.

Transport wheelchairs are lightweight and foldable, but someone has to be the pusher, as all four wheels are small and the person in the wheelchair cannot push him/herself.

Regular sized wheelchairs are much heavier, still foldable, but it's a struggle getting them folded up and into and out of the car. We had a wheelchair that was basically a transport wheelchair with removable larger wheels. All told it weighed 42 pounds. I used to take the big wheels off before folding the chair up to get it into the car, and then put the big wheels back on after removing it from the car.

In the house, my husband got himself around with the big wheels. When we were out, he wasn't strong enough to move himself along, especially if the ground was bumpy or grassy, so I always pushed him. This is where my shoulder gave out.

Have you considered an electric scooter? That's what a lot of people use when they can walk some, but not long distances.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:15 PM

38,684 posts, read 45,045,110 times
OP this is what you should look into:
https://www.sportaid.com/sportaid-wh...SAAEgJG4fD_BwE

Lightweight Titanium Folding Wheelchair.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:15 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,304,796 times
There are lifts and carriers that mount on the back of your car. Looks a lot easier than folding and stuffing a wheelchair into your car. Heres some examples.

https://www.discountramps.com/wheelc...rriers/c/3200/

If youre looking at a scooter they have lifts for that too. Heres a how to video.

https://www.discountramps.com/tilt-a...p/350ARV-Mini/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness