U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:19 PM

25,619 posts, read 37,139,057 times

Advertisements

My advice fisheye, is to not ever try it for any reason.

Coming into a forum where people are looking for help with medical problems and spending time on post after post being negative isn't going to make anyone here change their mind. Most of us have experienced the positive affects of using it for pain, depression, and fun! Among other things.

You're just shoving yourself into a deeper negative state. None of us care if you disapprove. That is your prerogative. Our prerogative is to ignore your constant complaining about something you have no experience with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 06:24 AM

11,712 posts, read 9,878,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
My advice fisheye, is to not ever try it for any reason.

Coming into a forum where people are looking for help with medical problems and spending time on post after post being negative isn't going to make anyone here change their mind. Most of us have experienced the positive affects of using it for pain, depression, and fun! Among other things.

You're just shoving yourself into a deeper negative state. None of us care if you disapprove. That is your prerogative. Our prerogative is to ignore your constant complaining about something you have no experience with.
Your side can only see the positive; you attack anybody that states differently. I post an article that came out four days ago and you come after me for posting that article. The original OP posted an article that had both the good and bad effects of marijuana. You cannot debate any issue if you only keep one eye open; you have to look at both sides and acknowledge any problems.

On this forum it is impossible to know if posters have a vested interest in the subject they are promoting. You could own stock, own a store, own a farm or distribution center and we would have no idea. We hope that is not the case; but it does get suspicious when some can see no wrong. It is also easy to understand that some see pot as only 'fun' and fail to see any problems - but that is not what the OP wanted or appeared to want in this thread about the medical use of pot.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:48 AM

25,619 posts, read 37,139,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Your side can only see the positive; you attack anybody that states differently. I post an article that came out four days ago and you come after me for posting that article. The original OP posted an article that had both the good and bad effects of marijuana. You cannot debate any issue if you only keep one eye open; you have to look at both sides and acknowledge any problems.

On this forum it is impossible to know if posters have a vested interest in the subject they are promoting. You could own stock, own a store, own a farm or distribution center and we would have no idea. We hope that is not the case; but it does get suspicious when some can see no wrong. It is also easy to understand that some see pot as only 'fun' and fail to see any problems - but that is not what the OP wanted or appeared to want in this thread about the medical use of pot.
This is part of the problem. You specifically state that I came after you for posting that article.

I didn't. And I'm not attacking you. I'm trying to explain that you are obsessed with a presumed problem that, as I stated before, you know nothing about (except what you dig out by searching the Internet for negative views on that subject).

Think about what you have been posting. The same thing over and over in a thread that is based on a view opposite of yours. We appreciate that you are against using marijuana and accept that fact. As far as I can recall no one has tried to talk you into using it. Why then are you seemingly hell bent on telling us we shouldn't. It's a personal decision and one that is, quite frankly, none of your business. What we don't accept is the constant repetition of the same thing. We know your point of view. You know ours.

Move on, dude. You're embarrassing yourself.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This is part of the problem. You specifically state that I came after you for posting that article.

I didn't. And I'm not attacking you. I'm trying to explain that you are obsessed with a presumed problem that, as I stated before, you know nothing about (except what you dig out by searching the Internet for negative views on that subject).

Think about what you have been posting. The same thing over and over in a thread that is based on a view opposite of yours. We appreciate that you are against using marijuana and accept that fact. As far as I can recall no one has tried to talk you into using it. Why then are you seemingly hell bent on telling us we shouldn't. It's a personal decision and one that is, quite frankly, none of your business. What we don't accept is the constant repetition of the same thing. We know your point of view. You know ours.

Move on, dude. You're embarrassing yourself.
In my post #87 I gave a link that states: "Extrapolating from those findings, the authors estimated that up to 2.7 million of the 8.3 million Americans known to smoke marijuana daily or near daily may suffer from at least occasional bouts of CHS."

So as usual you never read that link; you came after me - which you are doing now! Shoot the messenger and damn the torpedoes! You can now get back in your lotus position or you can present evidence that disputes the findings in that link!

Old 04-13-2018, 02:40 PM

17,081 posts, read 16,270,245 times
If anyone still wants to discuss the topic, go ahead. Otherwise the thread will be closed. No fighting, just respectful discussion.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:25 PM

989 posts, read 874,332 times
Default With all due respect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There are still studies coming out about the negative effects of marijuana like this one just three days ago: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a8295491.html.
Fish, if you look at other sites that discuss this same condition, you will find that it is EXTREMELY RARE, as in, I constantly do extensive research on this topic, and have for more than 20 years, and I only heard about this condition 3 years ago. You have to be a very heavy user to experience this condition, which can be relieved by hot showers and complete abstinence.

One of the reasons I don't trust articles, studies, and research from the UK (and Australia) is that they have politicized cannabis research, just like the United States, and their governments bias has ALWAYS been negative. Although there has been some progress in the last two years, the majority of the "data" coming out of these two countries, like our own, is still heavily biased toward prohibition, without any real science behind it, but a lot of political maneuvering. Another organization that is particularly biased in it's position is Columbia University in New York City.

You really need to look at non-government funded research in the US, UK and Australia, although as I mentioned, some really good research has been done in Israel, both privately and by government funded sources.

One more thing, any claimed study that is going to extrapolate outcomes beyond what the actual study finds should be met with a very healthy dose of skepticism. Too often, a small study, will not scale up, no matter how much the study team wants it to.

On a positive note, the UK and some other countries have allowed a big pharma company to legally distribute a spray made from the cannabis plant for patient use, and this spray is currently working it's way through the drug approval process with the FDA.

It is increasingly difficult for prohibitionists to continue to say that cannabis has no medical use when things like this are happening and when the US government itself not only has a patent on a medical use, but has also been providing cannabis to a patient study group for DECADES.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Fish, if you look at other sites that discuss this same condition, you will find that it is EXTREMELY RARE, as in, I constantly do extensive research on this topic, and have for more than 20 years, and I only heard about this condition 3 years ago. You have to be a very heavy user to experience this condition, which can be relieved by hot showers and complete abstinence.

One of the reasons I don't trust articles, studies, and research from the UK (and Australia) is that they have politicized cannabis research, just like the United States, and their governments bias has ALWAYS been negative. Although there has been some progress in the last two years, the majority of the "data" coming out of these two countries, like our own, is still heavily biased toward prohibition, without any real science behind it, but a lot of political maneuvering. Another organization that is particularly biased in it's position is Columbia University in New York City.

You really need to look at non-government funded research in the US, UK and Australia, although as I mentioned, some really good research has been done in Israel, both privately and by government funded sources.

One more thing, any claimed study that is going to extrapolate outcomes beyond what the actual study finds should be met with a very healthy dose of skepticism. Too often, a small study, will not scale up, no matter how much the study team wants it to.

On a positive note, the UK and some other countries have allowed a big pharma company to legally distribute a spray made from the cannabis plant for patient use, and this spray is currently working it's way through the drug approval process with the FDA.

It is increasingly difficult for prohibitionists to continue to say that cannabis has no medical use when things like this are happening and when the US government itself not only has a patent on a medical use, but has also been providing cannabis to a patient study group for DECADES.
While the article is from the UK it quotes an American doctor in Colorado:

"“After marijuana was legalized in Colorado, we had a doubling in the number of cases of cyclic vomiting syndrome we saw,” many probably related to marijuana use, said Dr Cecilia J Sorensen, an emergency room doctor at University of Colorado Hospital at the Anschutz medical campus in Aurora, who has studied the syndrome."

Either there is a problem or there is no problem. There is enough material and names to at least check the findings. You cannot dismiss everything because it came from the UK or Australia.

There are other red flags on cannabis use like this older article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/stroke-he...143600325.html.

Of course you can question the studies and articles. Like has been pointed out; vested interest could be behind some of those studies. It would be foolish to dismiss all negative information without doing the research. By the way; I did look to see if the doctor I just quoted was real and found this: https://profiles.ucdenver.edu/display/6809017.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:37 PM

15,548 posts, read 4,713,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishim View Post
Anyway, one thing I don't get for those that live in a state where both recreational and medical marijuana is allowed is if recreational marijuana is allowed why even bother with some kind of prescription? Just go to your local dispensary and stock up!
I can help you with that. It is possible for any adult with ID over 21 to walk into a dispensary, but the rules for medical and recreational MJ are different. Some products with high dosages of THC are only sold to medical patients. Also, if you have a state-issued medical MJ ID card, you don't have to pay sales tax.

As for medical studies, I feel the jury is still out until cannabis is de-regulated. We still have a lot to learn about how cannabis works and what the risks and benefits are. Until then I am going to go by my own personal experience, which has been that it is not physically addictive, it hasn't impacted my health in any way and it has helped relieve my anxiety and insomnia without the unwanted side effects and risk of addiction that come with pharmaceutical drugs like Ambien or Ativan.

I'm fortunate to not have any chronic pain, but if I did I would turn to cannabis for relief rather than traditional pain drugs such as Vicodin, Tramadol and Oxycontin. Opiates are the real drug scourge in this country, not cannabis. But the good news is that cannabis is showing promising results in helping opiate addicts get clean.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:33 AM

67,539 posts, read 77,301,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Hmm, interesting. Thanks, JasmineBasmati! Cannabis is not for everyone, especially teens and pregnant women or people with cardiac or PTSD issues. That said, it has a lot of benefits and more will almost certainly be discovered as legalization becomes more widespread. But first the Federal government needs to take cannabis it off the list of Schedule I substances so that legitimate research can be done.
There are positive effects of drinking booze as well, doesn't mean it is something we should all do. There are negative and positive sides to almost every story. Not everyone agrees with you on whether the government should step in. Any drug that can become habit forming isn't always good. BTW I did vote for it being legal in our state for medical reasons a few years ago. I also am not opposed to booze, I love my wine. I am saying those who want it to be available to everyone may have more personal reasons for this. We know how people on the west side of the country feel. Look at the map, the state on the left side are just that: left!!!!

Old 04-16-2018, 12:56 PM

15,548 posts, read 4,713,627 times
No one is saying that “everyone” should use cannabis. It should be legal just like booze - with similar restrictions on its use, just like booze. The government already “stepped in” when they started throwing people in prison for smoking a joint. That’s just crazy, and it needs to change. Prohibition doesn’t work and wastes a lot of government resources that could be put to better use. And the health benefits of cannabis - not to mention the sales tax revenue - would benefit all Americans, not just those on “the west side.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or