U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 04:28 PM

15,817 posts, read 4,933,811 times

Advertisements

I believe that buzzed driving is a real concern, although so far there doesn't seem to be a spike in traffic deaths that can be attributed solely to cannabis use. Or at least there isn't any way to determine whether the person involved in the accident is currently under the influence.

Colorado reported an increase in fatalities in the year after they legalized recreational cannabis, but the way things are now, it's impossible to know whether cannabis was a factor. That's because THC is still detectable in the blood and urine for a number of weeks after use. Therefore a driver who had used cannabis weeks before, but not since, might be in an accident that causes a death, and thus cannabis would be blamed even though the driver may not have been stoned at the time of the accident. This skews the statistics to make cannabis look like more of a contributing factor than it really is.

I strongly believe that no one should drive under the influence of cannabis, alcohol or any other psychoactive substance. What we need and don't have now is a reliable scientific test to determine a person's current intoxication level. This probably won't happen as long as cannabis is Federally illegal. But if such a test were available, I think it would help law enforcement identify and arrest drivers who are stoned and shouldn't be on the road, and it would also exonerate cannabis in cases where the person used it some time ago but THC is still detectable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 10:25 AM

27,504 posts, read 17,642,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
My blood pressure goes from 154/95 to 123/80 after I vaporize marijuana. Much better than blood pressure medication.
Except blood pressure medicine will maintain it over a 24 hour period. Unless you smoke 24 hours a day it will go right back to the high reading.

While I am not against marijuana, I would much rather take a pill then be stoned all day.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-29-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

While I am not against marijuana, I would much rather take a pill then be stoned all day.
You can get the health benefits of cannabis without the high. CBD (cannabidiol) products such as oils, capsules, tinctures, sublingual sprays, creams and edibles are available, but they're pricey. My husband is not a fan of marijuana but says that CBD capsules and creams help him with his arthritis pain, and at his last checkup his cholesterol went down despite no change in medications.

CBD works best with a little THC added, so there are tinctures or sublingual sprays with a high ratio of CBD to THC (as high as 18:1). These give you the benefits but have little or no psychoactive effect. I tried the 18:1 sublingual on my husband, and he said he didn't get high or even feel anything from it.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:34 AM

27,504 posts, read 17,642,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
You can get the health benefits of cannabis without the high. CBD (cannabidiol) products such as oils, capsules, tinctures, sublingual sprays, creams and edibles are available, but they're pricey. My husband is not a fan of marijuana but says that CBD capsules and creams help him with his arthritis pain, and at his last checkup his cholesterol went down despite no change in medications.

CBD works best with a little THC added, so there are tinctures or sublingual sprays with a high ratio of CBD to THC (as high as 18:1). These give you the benefits but have little or no psychoactive effect. I tried the 18:1 sublingual on my husband, and he said he didn't get high or even feel anything from it.

I have 50/50 mix of THC/CBD, and it helps with pain, but not as much as my tramadol. They ARE pricey, and I pick them up when in Cal or NV, because if I buy from a dispensary I feel they are a quality product. I never saw any with the 18:1. I also have the tincture, but never opened it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-30-2018, 05:49 PM

Care By Design makes 18:1 sublingual drops. https://www.cbd.org/products/cbd-sublingual-drops

Treatwell also makes CBD tinctures in various ratios. They have a 20:1 tincture but no 18:1.

As far as I know, these products are only available at dispensaries in California.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:21 PM

26,896 posts, read 38,142,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It's simply that two or three wrongs don't make a right. Marijuana is a mind altering substance; people do not think clearly when under the influence and the more THC they have in their systems the father they distance themselves from reality.

I really have no problems with people that want to smoke themselves into oblivion in their own homes. I have a problem with people that do not pull their own weight at work; it isn't my job to make up for what they don't accomplish. Also I hate sharing a road with distracted drivers - that goes for cellphones, alcohol or any other distraction. Maybe that will change as we get all of the self-driving vehicles on our roads - but it is not here yet.

By the way, if you die in a car accident because you are distracted by pot, that would make marijuana lethal.
Clueless.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:41 AM

13,149 posts, read 10,574,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Clueless.
You have never been around people using?

I hate that the mindset is that nobody can say anything negative about this 'new' wonder drug. Some people have this idea that it doesn't affect their driving, it doesn't affect their work, and it cures all disease - NOT THE CASE!

While there are medical reasons to use the drug or it's extracts; there are also good reasons not to use marijuana. It is like telling cancer patients to use marijuana to reduce pain and nausea and forgetting that it can cause dizziness (that can contribute to a patient falling and breaking a hip).

There is no substance on earth that is 100% good. Even drinking too much water can be detrimental to your health or even fatal.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
You have never been around people using?

I hate that the mindset is that nobody can say anything negative about this 'new' wonder drug. Some people have this idea that it doesn't affect their driving, it doesn't affect their work, and it cures all disease - NOT THE CASE!

While there are medical reasons to use the drug or it's extracts; there are also good reasons not to use marijuana. It is like telling cancer patients to use marijuana to reduce pain and nausea and forgetting that it can cause dizziness (that can contribute to a patient falling and breaking a hip).

There is no substance on earth that is 100% good. Even drinking too much water can be detrimental to your health or even fatal.
Yes, I have. There is some truth in what you say. Some people do abuse cannabis, it can be addictive for some, and cannabis does have some undesirable side effects. It isn't good for everybody, it doesn't cure everything, and some people shouldn't use it. Agreed.

Where we differ is that, as someone who has used it on and off for about 50 years, I don't find that cannabis helps me "escape reality." My experience has been that getting high makes reality more intense. I become introspective and more sensitive to my surroundings. It's exactly the opposite of alcohol, which is a form of poison that numbs your senses and blots out reality.

Cannabis can affect coordination and balance, but again alcohol is much worse. The advantage of cannabis is that when you are using it, you are acutely aware you are impaired and capable of modifying your behavior to compensate for that. (Translation: find the nearest comfortable sofa and chill out.) At least that's been my experience. Not to be disrespectful, but I think that the opinions of people who have actually used cannabis are more valid than the opinions of people who have not.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:47 PM

13,149 posts, read 10,574,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Yes, I have. There is some truth in what you say. Some people do abuse cannabis, it can be addictive for some, and cannabis does have some undesirable side effects. It isn't good for everybody, it doesn't cure everything, and some people shouldn't use it. Agreed.

Where we differ is that, as someone who has used it on and off for about 50 years, I don't find that cannabis helps me "escape reality." My experience has been that getting high makes reality more intense. I become introspective and more sensitive to my surroundings. It's exactly the opposite of alcohol, which is a form of poison that numbs your senses and blots out reality.

Cannabis can affect coordination and balance, but again alcohol is much worse. The advantage of cannabis is that when you are using it, you are acutely aware you are impaired and capable of modifying your behavior to compensate for that. (Translation: find the nearest comfortable sofa and chill out.) At least that's been my experience. Not to be disrespectful, but I think that the opinions of people who have actually used cannabis are more valid than the opinions of people who have not.
What we are saying is not that much different. OK; you have been using it on and off for about 50 years - more power to you. Like with everything there are individual tolerances to be considered, how much you are doing and the potency of what you are using - many variables.

To an elderly person falling and breaking a hip can be a death sentence. Many elderly lose bone mass or their bones become brittle. When you are younger you can stumble and fall and roll with the punches; not that easy as you get up in years. My mother died in three days after breaking her hip; she was 91. I would not recommend alcohol or cannabis to any of our elderly for that reason - but I am not a doctor. However; any patient, identified as having a fall risk, will not be prescribed any drug that could cause a fall. Doctors cannot take somebody's word that they will sit down if they feel dizzy - they would be liable.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
To an elderly person falling and breaking a hip can be a death sentence. Many elderly lose bone mass or their bones become brittle. When you are younger you can stumble and fall and roll with the punches; not that easy as you get up in years. My mother died in three days after breaking her hip; she was 91. I would not recommend alcohol or cannabis to any of our elderly for that reason - but I am not a doctor. However; any patient, identified as having a fall risk, will not be prescribed any drug that could cause a fall. Doctors cannot take somebody's word that they will sit down if they feel dizzy - they would be liable.
I am sorry that you lost your mother that way, fisheye. Yes, seniors need to be especially careful. I should know; I am one. I'll be 70 this year. I already had one fall which broke my wrist (not cannabis related), so I am well aware of the dangers and act accordingly. Normally I only use cannabis in the evening when I'm not going out.

I think that the risks have to be balanced with the benefits. Everyone has to decide for himself what benefits are worth taking a risk for. Having a couple of drinks will also affect balance, and there are no health benefits whatsoever, while some studies show that cannabis increases bone density and prevents age-related bone loss. That's a real benefit for older people. Cannabinoids and the Skeleton

For those who prefer to avoid the psychoactivity, CBD offers the same benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or