Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 07:39 AM

1,122 posts, read 961,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I have had pain off and on in my life and one time I was just miserable with nerve pain but I am lucky it didn't last long. Over the counter meds helped, but I'd never say never to wanting narcotics if I had horrible or chronic pain.

Until a person is in immense pain or sustained pain, no one can judge a person for taking strong pain relief meds. Sadly, these very meds that help with the pain also creates addiction to them.

What I DON'T understand, is why a person would take ANY addictive meds when they don't have pain to start with.

Is getting high worth risking a lifetime of addiction and the misery that goes along with addiction? Are people THAT stupid? It appears so.

Hi Gouligann:

The overdoses happening are not BY patients who are on an opioid for pain. This much we know and the CDC is finally backing down on this. I belong to a group of pain patients who are fighting hard to educate the public . We are actually on Twitter and it seems our voices are being heard.

I have been on Fentanyl since 2005 - the patch form. I deal with relentless burning pain from RSD. Today, patients are committing suicide because they are being punished by the zealots out there. It's terrible what is happening to many. Read Dr. Kline's list that he has compiled. Dr, Kline has spoke in front of Congress about Opioids and he is our cheerleader. https://medium.com/@ThomasKlineMD/su...s-356b4ef7e02a

Majority who are overdosing are addicts to street drugs. Case in point - Eric Bolling's son. Eric is a TV personality who lost his son a year ago. He fails to mention to people his son had cocaine in his system when he died. He got a Xanax from a friend which had been laced with the ILLICIT drug Fentanyl which is what killed him. Illicit Fentanyl is made in shady labs in China- Mexico.

Also, my pain mgmt doctor told me it all boils down to money as well. They no longer want to pay for pain pills as they are expensive. If you have good insurance (PPO) you are pretty safe. Medicare/Medicaid are cracking down. So what happens to the patients who are dealing with terrible pain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 07:21 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,490,487 times
Everyone should just eat ice cream and french fries... we'd be healthier.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:43 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
I take hydrocodone (4 pills a day or as needed) for back, knee & sometimes tooth ache & it works fine. I sure hope my doctor doesn't cut me off (ill know more next week because my doctor has to see me in order to refill the RX & ill also need to take a urine test & possible blood tests). My pills are 10/325. I feel sorry for the people who overdosed & died but that has nothing to do with me & I shouldn't have to suffer because of it. I saw a program on PBS & it says the majority of overdoses are people under 30 (the largest # are teens & 20s).

Old 04-14-2018, 06:55 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I take hydrocodone (4 pills a day or as needed) for back, knee & sometimes tooth ache & it works fine. I sure hope my doctor doesn't cut me off (ill know more next week because my doctor has to see me in order to refill the RX & ill also need to take a urine test & possible blood tests). My pills are 10/325. I feel sorry for the people who overdosed & died but that has nothing to do with me & I shouldn't have to suffer because of it. I saw a program on PBS & it says the majority of overdoses are people under 30 (the largest # are teens & 20s).
I deal with back and knee, lots of OA, and for me, found ibuprofen works even better than 10/325's...those side effects in my body are horrific. Glad they work for you.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:54 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I deal with back and knee, lots of OA, and for me, found ibuprofen works even better than 10/325's...those side effects in my body are horrific. Glad they work for you.
Glad to know something works for you, but how would you feel if Ibuprofen were suddenly restricted to the point you could no longer obtain it?

Old 04-15-2018, 10:26 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Glad to know something works for you, but how would you feel if Ibuprofen were suddenly restricted to the point you could no longer obtain it?
My D.O. back in mid 2016 had me off Ibuprofen as the Prolotherapy injections were working with my knee and his bodywork. Then one too many injections, which I pushed for, hit me in the wrong joint area and ended up giving me a nasty infection....long story here....so now I'm back on ibuprofen and would love NOT to take them. I've had a lot of time to think this all out about the infection etc.

I also take 4-5 supps for pain reduction and inflammation reduction, and I've posted a new post in Supplements on what I'm doing now to NOT do a knee replacment. The ibuprofenn is the topper and certainly NOT something I'm relying on ONLY for pain issues. All these meds come with side effects and I do have concern about ibuprofen but for now it's what I'm stuck with to help calm the pain. My issues are all arthritic pain issues.

On the two occasions of taking opioids, the side effects were horrid.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:25 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Ibuprofen & meloxicam don't work for me. They upset my stomach big time. If my doctor was to prescribe them for me I would tell him so. For now as long as my blood & urine screening comes up clean then I am good to go (I saw my doctor yesterday). People that OD are irresponsible & I am not. Don't punish me for their wrong doing.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:55 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Ibuprofen & meloxicam don't work for me. They upset my stomach big time. If my doctor was to prescribe them for me I would tell him so. For now as long as my blood & urine screening comes up clean then I am good to go (I saw my doctor yesterday). People that OD are irresponsible & I am not. Don't punish me for their wrong doing.
Yeah, meloxicam kills my stomach, I use it very infrequently. Tramadol and a tylenol work better for my chronic RA, and I will be happy for DH when they send him home with vicoden post op.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-17-2018, 09:21 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
The opioid crisis is built on pill mills, irresponsible doctors, and poverty. The areas in this country where the abuse is rampant and people are dying daily are in the rural, poverty stricken parts of the nation. I am not saying abuse doesn't happen in every state at every income level. But the concentration of the crisis is in coal country. A friend of my husband's who is a county supervisor who is tasked with dealing with this addiction and is in contact with supervisors from across the nation said that in these poverty stricken counties there are so many bodies stacking up from overdoses that they have nowhere to store them.

What this means is that it will become harder and harder for legitimate doctors prescribe these pills to people with legitimate pain.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:58 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The opioid crisis is built on pill mills, irresponsible doctors, and poverty. The areas in this country where the abuse is rampant and people are dying daily are in the rural, poverty stricken parts of the nation. I am not saying abuse doesn't happen in every state at every income level. But the concentration of the crisis is in coal country. A friend of my husband's who is a county supervisor who is tasked with dealing with this addiction and is in contact with supervisors from across the nation said that in these poverty stricken counties there are so many bodies stacking up from overdoses that they have nowhere to store them.

What this means is that it will become harder and harder for legitimate doctors prescribe these pills to people with legitimate pain.
shouldn't! Doctors need to grow a set and make sure their patients are being taken care of. Honestly I could not care any less who ODs from drugs. Maybe that was their path to take. I recently weaned myself off oxycodone by using Kratom. Now the fact is I need pain medication. I have a LONG list of reasons for needing it. But I got weary from all the opioid epidemic BS and doctors acting like any second they could would and might just stop prescribing the medication I and others need.
Those screaming epidemic should be addressing the problem where it exist and leave innocent people alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness