U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:48 PM

12,187 posts, read 13,771,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I think the big issue is that some chronic pain patients who are only helped my opioids are suffering big time. I know someone with ehler-Danlos for example who is being forcefully weaned down on her meds despite having over 20 surgeries in 5 years because her doctor is getting pressure. She can barely function with them let alone without. I think we have to be very careful about the slippery slope but understand they have their place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My doctor is also getting pressure from the insurance companies, which is unfortunate. I was at a perfect balance of medications, then they cut one out.
^^^ This IS the real issue. Because true druggies know how to get their fix. I wouldn't know how to buy a joint but druggies causing this OPIOID EPIDEMIC know exactly where to buy what they want. Amazing, isn't it. The truly sick and the elderly suffer. Seems like someone couldn't or wouldn't come up with a solution to bust the street drugs so they targeted the law abiding citizens.
Maybe the govt. is making too much money from illegal drugs and not enough from the really sick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 01:50 PM

24,396 posts, read 15,758,760 times
DH is going in for his 3rd shoulder surgery (), this time for a torn tendon (rotator?) and probable damage to tendon attached to his bicep..... and thank the gods for pain meds. I love his surgeon, but he is of the mindset that you should power through the pain if humanly possible..... which I don't understand.

As the only other person in the house, I pay.

While I know there is a huge problem with abuse, I can't imagine trying to treat such things without them.

I only take half of my prescribed tramadol dosage, and save the rest because I am worried they will mess with the prescription. That's what gets me feeling good enough to go exercise, which is something that keeps the RA doing as well as it is.

It's complicated. I just wish they would start with the obvious abuses (that town that sold more than the population...), and doctors selling scripts and such.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 03-16-2018, 02:51 PM

12,697 posts, read 12,493,646 times
Time just published a whole issue on this crisis. The photographs are horrifying.

See Inside the Worst Opioid Addiction Crisis in U.S. History | Time

Old 03-16-2018, 03:22 PM

3,784 posts, read 2,297,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I thought this interesting history. I was raised with Anacin, Bayer, Excedrin and didn't experience an opioid until 2010, Darvocet, and then it was removed also. This was pre and post hip replacement. Makes me wonder what I took after hysterectomy in the 80's....don't have recollection and there had to be post surgery pain.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/12/healt...ory/index.html
My Mother was going to Kaiser from 1999-2006 while cognizant. We sold the house and moved her into my sisters place. Cleaning out some shelves we found her vicodin...12 freaking bottle of 180 pills EACH. The doctor was giving her 6 pills a DAY every month. She rarely took 1 more than once a week. We simply took them to the cops who did a collective poop when they saw what we brought.

Looking back, had I had been thinking criminally, I could have sold them for $8 each....12x180X $8 A little over $17K.....

How that doctor ever gave her that much is beyond belief....Now Kaiser has tightened up on prescribing, but this was just the peak of the avalanche of easy to get drugs...

Old 03-17-2018, 10:12 AM

14,415 posts, read 4,363,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
My Mother was going to Kaiser from 1999-2006 while cognizant. We sold the house and moved her into my sisters place. Cleaning out some shelves we found her vicodin...12 freaking bottle of 180 pills EACH. The doctor was giving her 6 pills a DAY every month. She rarely took 1 more than once a week. We simply took them to the cops who did a collective poop when they saw what we brought.

Looking back, had I had been thinking criminally, I could have sold them for $8 each....12x180X $8 A little over $17K.....

How that doctor ever gave her that much is beyond belief....Now Kaiser has tightened up on prescribing, but this was just the peak of the avalanche of easy to get drugs...
All I can say is Yikes...I guess those scripts were handed out like candy.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:44 AM

6,527 posts, read 4,788,684 times
Feds say 5 NYC doctors took bribes from drug maker to prescribe opioid

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...scribe-n857476

Old 03-17-2018, 12:04 PM

6,527 posts, read 4,788,684 times
https://www.ohiopmp.gov/documents/An...%20Summary.pdf

If you want the entire report: https://www.ohiopmp.gov/documents/An...t%20(2017).pdf

Last edited by mike1003; 03-17-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 12:24 PM

8,131 posts, read 9,718,042 times
Ultram is the answer

Old 03-17-2018, 12:33 PM

14,415 posts, read 4,363,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Ultram is the answer
Is that the same as Tramadol? If so, ibuprofen helps me more than that med.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:58 PM

2,664 posts, read 1,333,041 times
If you've never experienced chronic, never-ending pain, don't judge the opioids or the people who get needed relief from them.

Any fool can abuse any substance. Look at the obesity in our country. To suggest that food be withheld from those who don't overeat just because others abuse food do is a ridiculous notion, right? The same goes for pain killers that actually work for those suffering chronic pain.

Nanny government. Nanny neighbors. Too many people have a sick need to control what is none of their business.

There is currently a substance called Kratom that the FDA wants to ban. It has the pain relieving qualities of Oxycodone, but without the euphoria. Kratom has been successful at getting addicts off of heroin, but government doesn't like it. Kratom is in the leaves of trees related to coffee trees that grow in Southeast Asia. It's interesting to goggle and read about.

Meanwhile, the only thing we have available to us is Tylenol, aspirin and Ibuprofen that don't help much at all. We can't even grow a simple weed in our backyards, a weed that will alleviate our pain. Nope. The doctors and pharmaceutical companies fair well from our pain, as does the government who taxes them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or