U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2018, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Wine Country
4,844 posts, read 5,903,461 times
Reputation: 8433

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The urine test confirms that you are taking the prescribed medication. Someone who is diverting (selling) the medication will not have the expected level in the urine.

As a long term patient with infrequent use of the medication, you may be able to negotiate less frequent testing, especially since it will not be in your urine if you have not used it for a while before your appointment. Just be aware that this is one thing pain management specialists are doing in order to be able to show the DEA that they are not running a pill mill.
Well they won't find any opioids in my urine because its been awhile since I took any. I guess those are the new hoops we have to go through. I have fairly good insurance but the copays do add up and now that I will have to pay a lab fee. Luckily I can afford these costs. But a lot of people I suspect will have a hard time with the extra expenditure every time they need to have a refill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2018, 03:39 PM
 
18,807 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Reputation: 12679
Thinking back to the 4.5 months in the 3 rehabs and the side effects alone from the oxycodone makes me realize I can live with some pain and knowing so far the ibuprofen does a pretty good job for me: Constipation, Loss of Appetite (nausea), Terrible Fatigue (wanted to sleep all the time)...then there is the addiction aspect of these drugs. I don't worry about that one. I have a half card of oxy tabs from the last rehab but will NOT touch them. Of course, I've got to remember I'm a member here who uses some "snake oil" remedies to help reduce pain.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-18-2018 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 04:02 PM
 
11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Reputation: 30973
Opioid History, from Wonder drug to epidemic

Opioids have been around for millennia, they are not what is meant by the modern term "Wonder Drug." The term casts the entire thread in the supermarket tabloid mould and off it goes downhill from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Kalamalka Lake, B.C.
2,966 posts, read 3,761,042 times
Reputation: 3768
I find the RESURRECTION of Opiods interesting since the bikers and Russian mafia controled herion distribution in the eighties. By the late eighties in western Canada at least crack cocaine had taken it's place. (Thank you Expo 1986 and the arrival of American coke dealers and their Porches)

Almost ALL of the "missing women" in British Columbia were HEROIN users, NOT cocaine or other drugs.
Then, BIG PHARMA resurrected herion.

The RCMP (our Federal force, and the biggest biker gang in the city) rounded up the bikers all right, but they missed the big picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 04:19 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,368 posts, read 25,494,040 times
Reputation: 87958
It is harder and harder for people who truly need pain medication to get the medication. All because Big Pharmaceutical companies and doctors pushed the drugs in the 80's and 90's. They created the addicts and now the people who need really "need" it cannot get it. The addicted will turn to illegal drugs like heroin if they cannot get the pills. As for heroin people die because it is cut with so much cra* so someone can make more money.

"Promoting the 1990's addiction to opiates started with the Purdue drug company who created Oxycontin. They pushed this drug and marketed it as non addictive. Doctors were prescribing unbelievable amounts to people without any questions or real pain management in the 1990's. The government played their own part in letting people have unlimited amounts of this drug through their medicaid. All are to blame for the epidemic that swept the country that caused addiction and death in some cases. "

Some very interesting books on the subject:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22529381-dreamland


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ing-the-scream

Last edited by ylisa7; 03-18-2018 at 04:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 04:33 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,368 posts, read 25,494,040 times
Reputation: 87958
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I discovered Kratom for pain relief about a year ago. It has been an amazing pain reliever for me as well as a mood lifter. It has been used for many years. Sadly, now that the government got wind of it being a popular herbal supplement for pain relief and also a way to help people get off addictive opioids, they are suddenly interested in possibly making it a controlled substance. I really hope they do not do that. Why would they do that?

I buy my Kratom at / purkratom dot com/ The one that works best for me is the Red Vein capsules. There are other sellers of Kratom capsules, but these are so high quality I don't want to try the others.

Interesting. I have never heard of that. I did just see something about salmonella in some of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,498 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Reputation: 26456
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I discovered Kratom for pain relief about a year ago. It has been an amazing pain reliever for me as well as a mood lifter. It has been used for many years. Sadly, now that the government got wind of it being a popular herbal supplement for pain relief and also a way to help people get off addictive opioids, they are suddenly interested in possibly making it a controlled substance. I really hope they do not do that. Why would they do that?

I buy my Kratom at / purkratom dot com/ The one that works best for me is the Red Vein capsules. There are other sellers of Kratom capsules, but these are so high quality I don't want to try the others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Interesting. I have never heard of that. I did just see something about salmonella in some of those.
Users of kratom have tried to claim it is not an opioid. It is, and it probably should be regulated like one. There are now reports of deaths in users, especially when combined with other drugs, including over the counter Lomotil, which is for diarrhea.


https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsr.../ucm595622.htm

Here is the salmonella info. Because there is no regulation of kratom, sellers do not have to identify where they obtained the product. That means it will be very difficult for the CDC to trace where the contamination of the drug with the bacteria happened. It has been found in kratom from multiple suppliers.

https://www.fda.gov/food/recallsoutb.../ucm597265.htm

A visit to the purkratom site reveals no evidence that they are addressing the salmonella issue at all.

For now, anyone using kratom should heat it to kill any salmonella that might be in it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kratom/comm...gh&sh=7f43623c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,498 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Reputation: 26456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
It is harder and harder for people who truly need pain medication to get the medication. All because Big Pharmaceutical companies and doctors pushed the drugs in the 80's and 90's. They created the addicts and now the people who need really "need" it cannot get it. The addicted will turn to illegal drugs like heroin if they cannot get the pills. As for heroin people die because it is cut with so much cra* so someone can make more money.

"Promoting the 1990's addiction to opiates started with the Purdue drug company who created Oxycontin. They pushed this drug and marketed it as non addictive. Doctors were prescribing unbelievable amounts to people without any questions or real pain management in the 1990's. The government played their own part in letting people have unlimited amounts of this drug through their medicaid. All are to blame for the epidemic that swept the country that caused addiction and death in some cases. "
Purdue did misrepresent the addictive potential of OxyContin.

Doctors did not "push" the use of opiates. They were accused of under-treating pain, so they started treating pain more aggressively. More liberal prescription of pain meds for chronic pain resulted in more people becoming addicted. Next, doctors were told too many people are addicted. Now many are afraid to prescribe pain meds at all.

It is not true that all "Doctors were prescribing unbelievable amounts to people without any questions or real pain management." Not every physician was prescribing without evaluating the patients' needs.

The government never let "people have unlimited amounts of this drug through their medicaid". Do you have a source to back up that claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 05:23 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,368 posts, read 25,494,040 times
Reputation: 87958
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Purdue did misrepresent the addictive potential of OxyContin.

Doctors did not "push" the use of opiates. They were accused of under-treating pain, so they started treating pain more aggressively. More liberal prescription of pain meds for chronic pain resulted in more people becoming addicted. Next, doctors were told too many people are addicted. Now many are afraid to prescribe pain meds at all.

It is not true that all "Doctors were prescribing unbelievable amounts to people without any questions or real pain management." Not every physician was prescribing without evaluating the patients' needs.

The government never let "people have unlimited amounts of this drug through their medicaid". Do you have a source to back up that claim?
At $1.00 per pill....yes the gov't "let" all kinds of people get the pills and too many became addicted.

Yes the research is backed up in the books I linked and more. Of course not "all" doctors but many were very liberal with prescriptions for the kick backs. And don't forget when Oxy first came out they told doctors it wasn't addictive(at least that is what they believed) so it was over prescribed.

And here:
[PDF]drugs for dollars: how medicaid helps fuel the opioid epidemic

And google "did people get oxy through medicaid" for more. Of course you need to sift through what is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 05:28 PM
 
18,807 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Reputation: 12679
My guess is IF I ever decide to do a knee replacement, which I absolutely dread, I'll be given
those pain meds with all their side effect issues...dread the thought of it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top