U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 05:30 PM

12,988 posts, read 6,875,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Thinking back to the 4.5 months in the 3 rehabs and the side effects alone from the oxycodone makes me realize I can live with some pain and knowing so far the ibuprofen does a pretty good job for me: Constipation, Loss of Appetite (nausea), Terrible Fatigue (wanted to sleep all the time)...then there is the addiction aspect of these drugs. I don't worry about that one. I have a half card of oxy tabs from the last rehab but will NOT touch them. Of course, I've got to remember I'm a member here who uses some "snake oil" remedies to help reduce pain.
So why keep them if you aren't going to use them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 05:33 PM

26,816 posts, read 17,234,614 times
Quote:
My guess is IF I ever decide to do a knee replacement, which I absolutely dread, I'll be given
those pain meds with all their side effect issues...dread the thought of it all.
Good thing you don't have to take them if you don't want to.

Pharma (based upon what i have read) did mis-represent the addictive qualities of things like oxycontin, and that is kind the history of opium based meds throughout history. It's always found a willing market, even before it was manufactured by pharma companies.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 03-18-2018, 05:38 PM

20,331 posts, read 25,297,529 times
Quote:
My guess is IF I ever decide to do a knee replacement, which I absolutely dread, I'll be given
those pain meds with all their side effect issues...dread the thought of it all.
I don't know the statistics of how many people suffer bad side effects but from what I know and have seen in friends and family it is fine as long as you don't take more than needed and don't stay on them for long. Grin and bear a little and only take what you really need. Also be thankful we don't have chronic pain.

And don't forget the laxatives with the pain meds, lol.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:39 PM

17,922 posts, read 5,777,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Good thing you don't have to take them if you don't want to.

Pharma (based upon what i have read) did mis-represent the addictive qualities of things like oxycontin, and that is kind the history of opium based meds throughout history. It's always found a willing market, even before it was manufactured by pharma companies.
I don't know if anyone Has to take them, I will go see the ortho surgeon soon and ask IF one ever does a knee rehab with say 3 ibuprofen every 6 hrs or so. My thinking is that pain is out of sight from having body cut.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So why keep them if you aren't going to use them?
I keep all old pain meds from doctors and dentists. It's "just in case" I'm in some serious pain and I can't find a doctor to help me. Sadly all of mine are all over 5 years old.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I don't know the statistics of how many people suffer bad side effects but from what I know and have seen in friends and family it is fine as long as you don't take more than needed and don't stay on them for long. Grin and bear a little and only take what you really need. Also be thankful we don't have chronic pain.

And don't forget the laxatives with the pain meds, lol.
Oh when I used them with hip replacement and knee infection, I triple dosed with magnesium.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Oh when I used them with hip replacement and knee infection, I triple dosed with magnesium.

Well that will clean you out. How many mg of magnesium did you take?

Old 03-18-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Well that will clean you out. How many mg of magnesium did you take?
Never calculated just took them as constipation is the WORST for me on these pain meds. I just work with mag to keep ahead of the constipation issue. My history overall without the pain drugs has been a sluggish system, that's a mild word.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-18-2018 at 06:47 PM..

Old 03-18-2018, 06:16 PM

4,581 posts, read 10,395,238 times
Quote:
I don't know if anyone Has to take them, I will go see the ortho surgeon soon and ask IF one ever does a knee rehab with say 3 ibuprofen every 6 hrs or so. My thinking is that pain is out of sight from having body cut.
No one is FORCED to take pain medications after surgery, if you prefer to suffer in pain that is your God given right. It may prolong your rehab however.

Have seen many patients go through knee replacement who couldn't take narcotics due to history of allergy, intolerance or history of addiction and patients requested NOT to receive pain medications....it it is absolutely possible and absolutely painful...

As for Ibuprofen after knee replacement, EVERY patient that has knee replacement surgery requires DVT prophylaxis with an anticoagulant or antiplatelet agent of some sort. Most of these medications cannot be combined with NSAID's.

I find it interesting that you relate a history of ulcer which you blame on a physician prescribing you NSAID's in the past but every post you continue to state that you take NSAID's. Ibuprofen is NO safer than any other NSAID's if one has history of gastric ulcer related to NSAID use

Old 03-18-2018, 06:52 PM

Before hip replacement I had to be off NSAIDS hence the darvocet back then. Post Op surgeon had me on aspirin therapy. I would "think" this is the same for knee replacement surgery. I had to go off grape seed ex 6 days before the hip surgery too, grape seed is a blood thinner. After surgery I was on it pretty quickly as it helped keeping blood thin and from clots. Also works with edema.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness