U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:18 AM

21,487 posts, read 26,089,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
So is prostitution but it doesn't mean they don't get paid in different ways. I hate to burst your bubble but not all doctors are good and honest. Sadly too many are not.

https://health.usnews.com/health-new...drug-companies
What activities in that article do you think doctors should not be paid for doing?

How are they "kickbacks"?

Where are the kickbacks?

Where are the kickbacks? Doctors are not paid by the prescription.

"Some type of payment" is most often a modest meal during a presentation about a drug.

The doctors who were paid more either sold patents to drug companies or were receiving royalties.

From ProPublica, which is the source of the hoopla:

https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

ROGER P JACKSON: Listed Specialty: Orthopaedic Surgery of the Spine. He was one of the highest paid people in the database: $38.4M for "ROYALTY OR LICENSE". What did he do? He invented stuff, including a table for positioning patients for spinal surgery.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...roger-jackson-
orthopedics.html

SUJATA D NARAYAN: Listed Specialty: Family Medicine: $43.9M. Dr. Sanjiv Narayan and his wife, Dr. Sujata Narayan, co-founded a private, venture-backed medical device company and received $54.8 million when it was bought out by Abbott Laboratories in December 2014.

What ProPublica does not tell you is what percentage of doctors on the list received only token amounts in the form of meals or perhaps books or teaching aids for patients.

You can look up your own doctors at the site. I would be surprised if the vast majority of them are receiving more than meals valued at $20 or so.

As far as doctors who are compensated prescribing more brand name drugs, the ones who attend presentations on new drugs (that have no generic available) often do so because they are interested in new drugs. They wish to learn about them before they prescribe them. In actual practice the patient's insurance may ultimately determine what the patient can use.

The people writing the articles you linked to do not know the definition of "kickback". They are misusing the term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Because they were all mislead by one person at one seminar...and they went with it. No one verified. Not the govt and not the doctors. So yes they are all at fault. Read the book for the name of the man. Then research the man.
How about you provide a link to that "one person at one seminar".

Old 03-19-2018, 10:21 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,488,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How about you provide a link to that "one person at one seminar".
You can find it. I really don't have time to argue with someone who thinks no doctors are morally bankrupt.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
You can find it. I really don't have time to argue with someone who thinks no doctors are morally bankrupt.
Nope. You make the claim, your responsibility to support it.

Any profession will have some bad actors. There just are not as many in medicine as you are trying to make people believe.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:46 AM

18,790 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Reminds me of when I was in hospital for hip replacement, working with PT's and OT's, one told me how the surgeon who did my work pressures patients to rent ice machines to take home, Medicare pays some of it and he gets kickbacks from the ice machine company for this ... as good as my surgeon came to me with people who had him, I had enough distrust in him. And still do and would NOT go back to him. And my ice packs in freezer worked just fine.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:46 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,488,669 times
There are plenty of bad ones. And plenty who misdiagnose.

Dr. Hershel Jick is the name.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...e-opioid-crisi

and more....go ahead and dispute it I'm sure you will. Just like a doctor and/or attorney to find a loophole.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:59 AM

27,473 posts, read 17,629,902 times
No one is saying there aren't bad doctors, just that most are not. It's information you can check yourself, which is awesome.

I checked all of my doctors and the money they received was essentially nada. None of my doctors have ever pushed anything on me, besides diet and exercise, and they know I do that anyway.

Being a doctor is like being in any other profession, some are jerks, some are in it for the money, and some are unethical.

I have a worse time with contractors!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-19-2018, 11:13 AM

18,790 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Does anyone have exact numbers of how many doctors, pharmacists and others involved in the health industry and insurance billings.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of bad ones. And plenty who misdiagnose.

Dr. Hershel Jick is the name.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...e-opioid-crisi

and more....go ahead and dispute it I'm sure you will. Just like a doctor and/or attorney to find a loophole.
What did Dr. Jick misdiagnose?

Where is the kickback?

One physician laments that he reported that hospitalized patients had a low risk of addiction to prescribed pain medications in 1980 - none of which were OxyContin - and his letter was misinterpreted to support that OxyContin was less addictive? When OxyContin had not even been developed?
Sorry, despite what Dr. Jick says, I fail to see how that "fed the opioid crisis".

Old 03-19-2018, 12:24 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,295,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Yeah. The drugs are off patent by now so that means, in most cases, as cheap as Generic asprin.

PT's require a PT. And they don't work for free.
Right. My point is as a country we need to reduce copays and costs to cover PT to a point where itís closer in cost. And mental health too - some wonít even take insurance at all or if they do itís a similar copay. Itís no wonder we have an epidemic when we arenít teaching people how to strengthen and cope with pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness