U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 12:30 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times

Advertisements

My solution for a LOT of my health concerns and I'm no spring chicken and everything wears out and depletes with age, is taking control of one's own health as best we can, there are TONS of answers out there if we just ask. Before the internet I bought books and used them as my health bibles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 12:37 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My solution for a LOT of my health concerns and I'm no spring chicken and everything wears out and depletes with age, is taking control of one's own health as best we can, there are TONS of answers out there if we just ask. Before the internet I bought books and used them as my health bibles.
Agreed and stay away from doctors unless absolutely necessary.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:29 PM

21,482 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Right. My point is as a country we need to reduce copays and costs to cover PT to a point where itís closer in cost. And mental health too - some wonít even take insurance at all or if they do itís a similar copay. Itís no wonder we have an epidemic when we arenít teaching people how to strengthen and cope with pain.
PT is not a substitute for pain medication. In fact, PT often hurts. PT is done to restore function.

If you want no copays you are going to have to pay a higher monthly premium.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:09 PM

6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Right. My point is as a country we need to reduce copays and costs to cover PT to a point where itís closer in cost. And mental health too - some wonít even take insurance at all or if they do itís a similar copay. Itís no wonder we have an epidemic when we arenít teaching people how to strengthen and cope with pain.
Yeah. In some/many cases, it can be managed. Not all, but there are ways to work on it and manage it. Its not even a hippy alternative medicine theory, much of it requires a comprehensive approach though.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I have a worse time with contractors!
I can help you with that. I have much better luck with contractors than doctors. Even with all the reviews.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:07 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Yeah. In some/many cases, it can be managed. Not all, but there are ways to work on it and manage it. Its not even a hippy alternative medicine theory, much of it requires a comprehensive approach though.
What does "hippy alternative medicine theory" mean to you? Never heard that hippy expression mentioned with alternative medicine.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:30 AM

5,119 posts, read 3,633,578 times
I have had pain off and on in my life and one time I was just miserable with nerve pain but I am lucky it didn't last long. Over the counter meds helped, but I'd never say never to wanting narcotics if I had horrible or chronic pain.

Until a person is in immense pain or sustained pain, no one can judge a person for taking strong pain relief meds. Sadly, these very meds that help with the pain also creates addiction to them.

What I DON'T understand, is why a person would take ANY addictive meds when they don't have pain to start with.

Is getting high worth risking a lifetime of addiction and the misery that goes along with addiction? Are people THAT stupid? It appears so.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
What I DON'T understand, is why a person would take ANY addictive meds when they don't have pain to start with.

Is getting high worth risking a lifetime of addiction and the misery that goes along with addiction? Are people THAT stupid? It appears so.
Because sadly too many people want/need an escape from their real lives. They don't think about the addiction only what it feels like when they get their high.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:17 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,294,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
PT is not a substitute for pain medication. In fact, PT often hurts. PT is done to restore function.

If you want no copays you are going to have to pay a higher monthly premium.

I agree Suzy, just pointing out that we need a comprehensive approach. PT may not be the answer in itself but it may be part of a comprehensive approach. I donít mind the copays personally but for many itís cost prohibitive. If we make comprehensive approaches more accessible to the masses then more will use them and perhaps be able to manage some pain without meds. I say this as a patient who occasionally needs a pain med to get through a rough patch.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:25 AM
Status: "Happy Birthday to all October babies." (set 23 days ago)

852 posts, read 463,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Opioids have their place.

Overprescribing doesn't

I can't begin to tell you how many Rxs for narcs prescribed for addicts I refused to fill in my store.

Thank God Ohio has OARRS

The Ohio Automated Rx Reporting System (OARRS) is a tool to track the dispensing and personal furnishing of controlled prescription drugs to patients. OARRS is designed to monitor this information for suspected abuse or diversion (i.e., channeling drugs into illegal use), and can give a prescriber or pharmacist critical information regarding a patientís controlled substance

Mr CCCC I cant fill this because you just had another one filled at CVS, and Walgreens, and WallyWorld.

"Oh no I didn't

Then why is your name, birthday and address on all of these lines for yesterday in this State Board report.
California has the same thing called CURES and it is through the DOJ of California. My pain mgmt doc shows me mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness