Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:36 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

I thought this interesting history. I was raised with Anacin, Bayer, Excedrin and didn't experience an opioid until 2010, Darvocet, and then it was removed also. This was pre and post hip replacement. Makes me wonder what I took after hysterectomy in the 80's....don't have recollection and there had to be post surgery pain.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/12/healt...ory/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 09:43 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Opioids have their place.

Overprescribing doesn't

I can't begin to tell you how many Rxs for narcs prescribed for addicts I refused to fill in my store.

Thank God Ohio has OARRS

The Ohio Automated Rx Reporting System (OARRS) is a tool to track the dispensing and personal furnishing of controlled prescription drugs to patients. OARRS is designed to monitor this information for suspected abuse or diversion (i.e., channeling drugs into illegal use), and can give a prescriber or pharmacist critical information regarding a patient’s controlled substance

Mr CCCC I cant fill this because you just had another one filled at CVS, and Walgreens, and WallyWorld.

"Oh no I didn't

Then why is your name, birthday and address on all of these lines for yesterday in this State Board report.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:54 PM

23,299 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Opioids have their place.

Overprescribing doesn't
Pretty simple isn't it? I'm not trying to say the current problem is simple, but that any drug can be abused and the fault doesn't lie completely on either side.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Pretty simple isn't it? I'm not trying to say the current problem is simple, but that any drug can be abused and the fault doesn't lie completely on either side.
Very true, but it is true

Old 03-16-2018, 05:29 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
I think the big issue is that some chronic pain patients who are only helped my opioids are suffering big time. I know someone with ehler-Danlos for example who is being forcefully weaned down on her meds despite having over 20 surgeries in 5 years because her doctor is getting pressure. She can barely function with them let alone without. I think we have to be very careful about the slippery slope but understand they have their place.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:35 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I think the big issue is that some chronic pain patients who are only helped my opioids are suffering big time. I know someone with ehler-Danlos for example who is being forcefully weaned down on her meds despite having over 20 surgeries in 5 years because her doctor is getting pressure. She can barely function with them let alone without. I think we have to be very careful about the slippery slope but understand they have their place.
My doctor is also getting pressure from the insurance companies, which is unfortunate. I was at a perfect balance of medications, then they cut one out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-16-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
It's this pver reaction from Docs on patients like this that are driving patients to street drugs.

It's a balance act

Old 03-16-2018, 12:57 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I thought this interesting history. I was raised with Anacin, Bayer, Excedrin and didn't experience an opioid until 2010, Darvocet, and then it was removed also. This was pre and post hip replacement. Makes me wonder what I took after hysterectomy in the 80's....don't have recollection and there had to be post surgery pain.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/12/healt...ory/index.html
These drugs aren't new. Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone, etc...Have all been around for a long, long time, 90+ years.

Pain, and Chronic pain, are huge problems for those who suffer from it. Pursuing and developing treatments for pain is a reasonable goal. Despite what some will have you believe, bulged discs and pinched nerves aren't going to get better with essential oils and valerian root and Flax Seed oil.

OxyContin was notable because it was an extended release formulation; one didn't have to take pills every four hours for their pain and the release was slower.

Now, there certainly was gross irresponsibility on behalf of some of the drug companies.

But, the idea that a slower, controlled release of the drug was a good thing isn't at all far fetched. And, that the pills could be ground and insuflated or injected so easily was another problem, one that I don't think entirely falls on the Pharma companies.

Dr's have known about the dangers of opiates almost as long as they've been using opiates. Laudanum was abused in the old west. Morphine has been strictly regulated as long as they've been strictly regulating drugs in the country.

Addicts have been around forever, too, and not just junkies on the street. My mom remembers people trying to get demerol prescriptions all the time, long before the opiate epidemic.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:58 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
It's this pver reaction from Docs on patients like this that are driving patients to street drugs.

It's a balance act
And, patients that develop a tolerance. Doc says, nope, I'm only giving you 60 pills a month...And then they're gone in three weeks, and someone has withdrawal, and pain staring at them. Not pretty.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:36 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
JONOV: Well yes they've been around, I didn't know the history of all the drugs. And this was never a discussion in my family growing up. My family had pain issues and they went to their medicine cabinets.

When I went thru the knee infection and could NOT walk and pain was out of sight, I was given oxycodone before I went into PT room, but it got to the point FOR ME, that ibuprofen was just as good if not better than the oxy for my issues...I had them Stop the oxy and go with ibuprofen every 6 hrs. Plus the side effects with oxy...good grief.

I drag my feet on knee replacement surgery for many issues and one is all the pain and the drugs going back into my body and dealing with all the side effects again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness