U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2018, 02:32 AM
Status: ""Plays well with other children"" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
17,223 posts, read 21,288,628 times
Reputation: 42737

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Going to relent from my usual cynicism on supplements and give give this grape seed extract a try as it might make me feel a little better while waiting for complete kidney failure.At this point what have i got to lose.. thanks for the advice jammin.
https://www.google.ca/search?source=...84.OwdyEJ5uWo0
You might as well use EVERYTHING at your disposal. I mix supplements with "regular" medicine. It can't hurt.

I don't have anything wrong with my kidney, but grape seed extract is useful for a number of maladies.

I'm sorry to hear this, jambo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2018, 03:07 AM
 
32,825 posts, read 38,278,695 times
Reputation: 27976
I'm not giving up my regular prescribed meds and with kidney failure one has to be careful what drugs to take ,but the grape seed extract seems like it has good reviews when it comes to interaction with failing kidneys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
14,063 posts, read 17,016,522 times
Reputation: 21667
I'll add that the cruise lines offer 'dialysis cruises quite frequently. I've known a couple of people who enjoyed them.

Jambo, I hope all goes well for you. Where's the fingers crossed emoticon when you need it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
68,186 posts, read 78,081,101 times
Reputation: 37458
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I have asked the doc about kidney transplants but she says my age might be a factor to qualify as any donor kidneys would go to a younger recipient before me,
Portable dialysis from what ive read is a very exacting procedure that requires very sterile conditions and is something that has to be done every day IMO the hassles outweigh the benefits of such a system..
As for my symptoms? i itch constantly all over, i get cramps on legs and arms and hands almost every night.
Edema is prevalent in all parts of the body particularly legs. And i also feel like crap all the time.
I am so sorry to hear this. My step mom, who died at about 94 suffered from kidney disease for years. She never went the dialysis route even though both of her kidneys were seriously affect. I know one had almost no function. My hubby has one that has only about 5% but the other is a good 50% last time it was tested. i think the doctor said, pretty much as long as you have 20 or 25% you can live a normal life. He does have edema especially when he sits to long or the weather is really hot. Of course i do as well and mine is simply from age. He doesn't really have any other systems.

Good luck and keep us informed. I know you like to travel, but we know there comes a time in life when we have to accept we can't do what we used to. That is where we are right now with travel. We have a cruise coming up in about a month. After that our days of traveling may be ending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
13,533 posts, read 2,672,116 times
Reputation: 19224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm not giving up my regular prescribed meds and with kidney failure one has to be careful what drugs to take ,but the grape seed extract seems like it has good reviews when it comes to interaction with failing kidneys.

Jambo, please ck with your kidney MD about the grapeseed oil....

occasionally there are contraindications regarding supplements and certain diseases....I know most think supplements helpful, but there are instances when they cause conflict with other meds....ie St John's Wort in contraindicated for depression when in combo with antidepressants.

Just takes one phone call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 11:11 AM
 
17,105 posts, read 5,459,802 times
Reputation: 11670
I've been talking grape seed extract and NOT oils since I arrived here. Yes, talk to your doctor and I'm sure he will not give you an affirmative. Unless your doctor(s) have open minds to working with adjuncts with your meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 11:14 AM
 
32,825 posts, read 38,278,695 times
Reputation: 27976
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Jambo, please ck with your kidney MD about the grapeseed oil....

occasionally there are contraindications regarding supplements and certain diseases....I know most think supplements helpful, but there are instances when they cause conflict with other meds....ie St John's Wort in contraindicated for depression when in combo with antidepressants.

Just takes one phone call.
I saw my nephrologist this morning and ran the idea of grape seed extract by her, she laughed and said dont you dare take that or any other supplements,she said you are right on the edge of having no kidney function at all dont start adding unknown substances to the medications you are already taking,she went on to say while grape seed extract may have some marginal benefits in ridding the body of excess fluids in healthy people jim you are far from healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
49,724 posts, read 49,186,604 times
Reputation: 57544
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am so sorry to hear this. My step mom, who died at about 94 suffered from kidney disease for years. She never went the dialysis route even though both of her kidneys were seriously affect. I know one had almost no function. My hubby has one that has only about 5% but the other is a good 50% last time it was tested. i think the doctor said, pretty much as long as you have 20 or 25% you can live a normal life. He does have edema especially when he sits to long or the weather is really hot. Of course i do as well and mine is simply from age. He doesn't really have any other systems.

Good luck and keep us informed. I know you like to travel, but we know there comes a time in life when we have to accept we can't do what we used to. That is where we are right now with travel. We have a cruise coming up in about a month. After that our days of traveling may be ending.
Just a note. You "go the dialysis route" when your kidneys no longer function/reach about 10% of function, or you die. My mother's kidneys have been failing for decades, but it wasn't until she was 86 that the doctor said she only had a few months of function left and they put in the fistula in anticipation of dialysis.

My mother's mother also had PKD but she lived until 94 and never went on dialysis.

A dark yet positive side of being on dialysis is that if other aspects of your health become too much, you can choose to discontinue dialysis and die within a few days. It's relatively easy from what I understand You go into a coma.

If you remember the author James Michener, that's what he did. He was 90 and had been on dialysis but was breaking down in other ways, so he decided to discontinue. He wrote a public goodbye saying he'd had a good life since being left on Mrs. Michener's doorstep in a basket as a baby and thanked all his readers. Three days later he was gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 12:03 PM
 
17,105 posts, read 5,459,802 times
Reputation: 11670
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I saw my nephrologist this morning and ran the idea of grape seed extract by her, she laughed and said dont you dare take that or any other supplements,she said you are right on the edge of having no kidney function at all dont start adding unknown substances to the medications you are already taking,she went on to say while grape seed extract may have some marginal benefits in ridding the body of excess fluids in healthy people jim you are far from healthy.
This is a prime case where IF both worlds worked together, one could appreciate much improved health. It's tragic that allopathic MD's are so closed to what has been around for centuries. Grapes for centuries. From the beginning of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
13,533 posts, read 2,672,116 times
Reputation: 19224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I saw my nephrologist this morning and ran the idea of grape seed extract by her, she laughed and said dont you dare take that or any other supplements,she said you are right on the edge of having no kidney function at all dont start adding unknown substances to the medications you are already taking,she went on to say while grape seed extract may have some marginal benefits in ridding the body of excess fluids in healthy people jim you are far from healthy.


Good girl, glad you called....you never know about supplements...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top