U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 AM

32,012 posts, read 37,006,125 times

Advertisements

Kidneys are failing and i'm down to 20% remaining function ,i was wondering for those on dialysis what symptoms drove you to say its time , my nephrologist is setting me up to get a stint to facilitate being hooked up to the machine but i'd like to maintain my independence from a dialysis machine for as long as i can. Any one with experience to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 09:31 AM

9,277 posts, read 1,381,739 times
Sorry to hear this jambo...

hopefully someone with this experience can offer you needed information.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Sorry to hear this jambo...

hopefully someone with this experience can offer you needed information.
Thanks , as we age most of us come down with some malady or another ,for me i guess its going to be renal failure, kind of unfortunate as i really like to travel,being on a dialysis machine 3 days a week is going to put an end to long distance travel, also i had to sell my beloved Miata as due to mobility isues i could no longer get in and out of it, but we had some good times especially around your neck of the woods =
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...a/41810012.jpg

Old 03-18-2018, 10:47 AM

9,277 posts, read 1,381,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thanks , as we age most of us come down with some malady or another ,for me i guess its going to be renal failure, kind of unfortunate as i really like to travel,being on a dialysis machine 3 days a week is going to put an end to long distance travel, also i had to sell my beloved Miata as due to mobility isues i could no longer get in and out of it, but we had some good times especially around your neck of the woods =

Mind if I ask...are you a candidate for a kidney transplant? I understand how you'd want to keep off dialysis as long as you can..

Don't feel too bad about the Miata... I had one too, it is hard to get out of...

Old 03-18-2018, 10:59 AM

3,315 posts, read 5,572,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
jambo.....don't give up on travel. I have a nephew who was diagnosed with some very long named kidney disease when he was 10. He has had several transplants over the years. But.....some types of dialysis does not require you to go into a medical place to get it. He had a portable dialysis when he came down to Florida to visit. He had to have a microwave available and wear a bag so many hours a day. He also had to have a dialysis center here that agreed to accept him if an emergency situation happened while here. It takes a little more planning but it can be done. He actually got the call that a cadaver kidney matched when he was here in Florida and had to get emergency flight back to Indiana within a certain number of hours to get it. Thank you to all donors.

We could tell when his kidney or a transplanted kidney was going bad because he would bloat up and feel miserable. 2 of his transplants have failed. One was rejected the first year. One lasted for about 8 years, and the one he has now was donated by his brother. This one has been working since 1997 so doing good. He had a scare 2 years ago that it was beginning to fail, but it was one of the other 4 kidney's that was making him sick that had to be removed.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:45 PM

I have asked the doc about kidney transplants but she says my age might be a factor to qualify as any donor kidneys would go to a younger recipient before me,
Portable dialysis from what ive read is a very exacting procedure that requires very sterile conditions and is something that has to be done every day IMO the hassles outweigh the benefits of such a system..
As for my symptoms? i itch constantly all over, i get cramps on legs and arms and hands almost every night.
Edema is prevalent in all parts of the body particularly legs. And i also feel like crap all the time.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:39 PM

10,081 posts, read 18,012,433 times
They aren't going to do a fistula for the dialysis? (I believe the percentage has to be a bit lower than 20% to be put on the transplant list) - my late husband went through dialysis, transplant, failure again.........

Old 03-18-2018, 06:53 PM

24,396 posts, read 15,758,760 times
I wish I could offer more, but all I have are best wishes for you. I know nothing about kidneys.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 03-18-2018, 07:32 PM

47,099 posts, read 47,099,131 times
My mother is on dialysis. She is 89.

PKD runs in our family. It missed me, but my younger sister has it.

My mother's younger brother had a transplant which was good for about ten years but then it failed and he ended up on dialysis anyway. He had a terrible time and was never well and then died, so my mother used to always say that if it came time for her to go on dialysis, she might choose to just not do it because of her brother's experience.

Two and a half years ago, the doc saw her kidneys were going and she reluctantly agreed to let them put in the fistula. A month later, she went into heart failure and they put her on dialysis in the hospital.

And then...she had a quad bypass at the age of 86, recovered through therapy, and life went on. She drives herself to dialysis three times a week, and while she is usually a bit tired afterward, she said, "I don't feel as bad as they told me I would." Her kidney doc was my uncles' kidney doc, and he explained to me that my uncle had other problems, including his size (6'7" and 300 pounds) that makes my mother's experience different from his.

So the whole point of this story is that your kidneys and health and experience will be unique to you. I never knew exactly what dialysis entailed, and it's pretty amazing that it can be done and how the technology works that removes the blood from your body, cleans it, and puts it back, and while it does take a chunk of time from you, you can continue living.

I've gotten two-and-a-half years more with my mom, so far. Her mind is sharp and she still lives in her own home, and she has made friendships with other patients at the dialysis center.

Good luck to you however things work out. I hope it all goes well.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:49 AM

Going to relent from my usual cynicism on supplements and give give this grape seed extract a try as it might make me feel a little better while waiting for complete kidney failure.At this point what have i got to lose.. thanks for the advice jammin.
https://www.google.ca/search?source=...84.OwdyEJ5uWo0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or