Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 07:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times

Advertisements

EKGs can change in a matter of hours if you have a new event.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:38 PM

310 posts, read 446,916 times
Remember, YOU are the best advocate for YOU. Always question until you are satisfied with the answers you get. All hospitals pay their CEO’s whether they are profit or not for profit. It’s amazing how much these not for profit hospital CEOs make....that’s where the profit goes.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:59 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeHoyal View Post
Has anybody out there had a bad experience with a "for-profit" hospital running tests that had already just been run or had nothing to do with your diagnosis?

It's one thing for Wendy's to say "do you want fries with that?" at the drive-thru but no so funny when a "for-profit" hospital or E.R. does a third EKG in four days when it was determined on day one that you did NOT have a heart attack... even having had ultrasounds on your heart and carotid arteries. The big difference? At Wendy's you can easily say "no."

If so, did you have insurance that they knew was going to cover all or most of it?

You can refuse any medical treatment you like. They won't force you into a test unless there's a court order involved.

Cardiac events aren't planned...they just pop up like dandelions in your yard. Be thankful they are being through with your care...and that one EKG you refuse just might be the one that holds the cards to your health.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:42 AM

1,683 posts, read 811,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Three separate trips? I think I'd have found a different hospital ER to go to after the first time they didn't do enough to treat the problem. I've actually done that before...went to the ER near the house and they fumbled around and misdiagnosed me, then two days later went to a different ER, had the right tests done, and discovered my symptoms were caused by a precancerous growth. I was really lucky I went to a different hospital the second time around.
I really should have changed ERs after the second visit when they FINALLY did the MRI and found the issue...that third trip on the other hand?

If I had an ultrasound on my heart 36 hours prior and was pronounced as having no heart issues and was there for NOTHING heart related (was related to my left ear and accompanying vertigo)... sorry, but I refuse to accept at that point a 3rd EKG in 4 days or 3rd blood test in 4 days was necessary especially when the diagnosis of an acoustic neuroma was given with 100% certainty after the MRI. (I did sternly refuse to have blood drawn or pee in the cup on that 4th day and urged them to focus on the diagnosis that was certain and not look to treat me for things I was already confirmed as not having)

But I do expect a bunch of "just in case" excuses out of the hospital ER as they scramble to cover their @55 in fear of a lawsuit or refusal to pay co-pays.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You did not answer the question. Why did the ER doctor think the EKG was indicated? What did he expect it to tell him? How would the result affect your treatment?
He didn't say why a 3rd EKG in 4 days was needed. Just that I didn't have one, he was going to refuse treatment for the condition that already WAS a confirmed diagnosis as NOTHING heart related. I think he was pulling a power play because I had gotten impatient with his nurses and dropped the "F bomb."

It seemed to be a straight up power play and/or for-profit hospital money grab. I any case he will have to face the music over it, if not in court, then in his next review. If it costs him a raise or promotion... or gets him put on some form of corrective action... fine with me.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:25 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
He didn't say why a 3rd EKG in 4 days was needed. Just that I didn't have one, he was going to refuse treatment for the condition that already WAS a confirmed diagnosis as NOTHING heart related. I think he was pulling a power play because I had gotten impatient with his nurses and dropped the "F bomb."

It seemed to be a straight up power play and/or for-profit hospital money grab. I any case he will have to face the music over it, if not in court, then in his next review. If it costs him a raise or promotion... or gets him put on some form of corrective action... fine with me.

I think a lawsuit would stem from refused treatment, but not refusing a 3rd EKG. As others have said, EKG's can change within hours and if one of your symptoms was Vertigo, then yes that could be heart related as Vertigo can be a sign of a blocked artery. https://www.healthcentral.com/articl...is-it-my-heart

At any rate, I think MOST hospitals a for-profit whether they admit it or not and it would be real hard to prove that you didn't need a certain test if they are trying to find the cause of the problem.

Sorry, but it's the truth!

Old 03-21-2018, 01:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I think a lawsuit would stem from refused treatment, but not refusing a 3rd EKG. As others have said, EKG's can change within hours and if one of your symptoms was Vertigo, then yes that could be heart related as Vertigo can be a sign of a blocked artery. https://www.healthcentral.com/articl...is-it-my-heart

At any rate, I think MOST hospitals a for-profit whether they admit it or not and it would be real hard to prove that you didn't need a certain test if they are trying to find the cause of the problem.

Sorry, but it's the truth!
About 20% of hospitals in the US are "for-profit". Several states have no for-profits-Hawaii, Minnesota, New York, Vermont. In addition, several have 5% or fewer for-profits-Connecticut, Iowa, Maryland, Maine, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oregon and Wisconsin.

Private non-profits have to invest their profits back into the hospital.
https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...2:%22asc%22%7D

Old 03-21-2018, 01:40 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
The ER doctor said he would not treat me unless I allowed them to do yet another EKG. It was said in front of my wife and 2 nurses in the room. The matter has now been reported by me to their Department of Quality who also is having it looked at by their Risk Management Department (afraid of a lawsuit??)... so I really do resent that other posters rude and incorrect assumption that I would "turn into a 4 year old" in front of the doctor. Quite the opposite. I have advised the hospital that if I get bills for co-pays on tests performed that were not needed, they would not be paid. Let's hear a 4 year old tell hospital management that.
I don't know what your situation is, but I will tell you that EKGs are repeated very often because EKGs are dynamic. They change. And if you don't notice the subtle changes, you can get into big trouble. Having one good EKG is completely meaningless in the setting of a chest pain (or equivalent) evaluation.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
You're being abusive towards nurses and dropping the F bomb but you're accusing this guy of the power play? It becomes more and more clear why you were treated the way you were.

With any luck, the nurses backed him up in they are all rolling their eyes behind your back right now. Admin included.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Vertigo can be a sign of a blocked artery.
What part of "I already had an ultrasound on my carotid arteries and heart 48 hours before" and "the diagnosis was ALREADY confirmed via MRI as a neuroma in my ear" and "it had already thus been decided this was not heart or stroke related" was not clearly already explained in this thread?

Really? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness