Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 01:54 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times

Advertisements

Yes; both the generic and name brand Sudaphed are now under lock and key; there's a useless decongestant that isn't. But the generic version of Sudaphed, which is half the price, has become useless, or maybe it's just me (why I'm asking).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 05:25 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Pseudoephedrine is the problem ingredient....look for decongestants without it.

It does cause hyperactivity and is one ingredient used to make illegal meth. That's why if you buy it, you must give your DL no. and you can usually buy only 2 pks at a time.
Maybe. The safe for HBP decongestant is Phenylephrine. (Also called, Sudafed PE, or any PE) It drives me up the wall but I can take Pseudophed

Our daughter can't take pseudophed, for the same reason, but has no issues with PE

Old 03-29-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post

I will say, that the 'Mucinex DM' did have some side effects that I refused to deal with. So a no-go; for me. But the regular Mucinex was fine, as far as all of the tests are concerned.

I will also say, it is a fairly new product, as as I am sure we will both agree, that in itself presents a problem.
WRONG!!!!!!! glyceryl guaiacolate the original name for guaifenesin, the active ingredient in Mucinex was already available when I was in Pharmacy School in the 60s

Old 03-29-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Yes; both the generic and name brand Sudaphed are now under lock and key; there's a useless decongestant that isn't. But the generic version of Sudaphed, which is half the price, has become useless, or maybe it's just me (why I'm asking).
Phenylephrine, PE, is not useless as long as you don't experience the jittery off the wall side effects that I do.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:49 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Although I had sinus surgery about ten years ago that finally cured it for once and for all, I used to take Sudafed all the time. I had a sinus infection that was incurable.

Yes, that generic version didn't work at all for me either. I had to have real Sudafed for some reason. And I hated it when they started keeping it under lock and key, making you feel like a drug addict just because you wanted to be able to breathe. I never found any other decongestant that worked except for Sudafed.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Although I had sinus surgery about ten years ago that finally cured it for once and for all, I used to take Sudafed all the time. I had a sinus infection that was incurable.

Yes, that generic version didn't work at all for me either. I had to have real Sudafed for some reason. And I hated it when they started keeping it under lock and key, making you feel like a drug addict just because you wanted to be able to breathe. I never found any other decongestant that worked except for Sudafed.
Glad I'm not the only one. For a while, taking three (!) of the generic offered some relief, but not lately. Guess I'll bite the bullet and fork out for the name brand Sudaphed. If that doesn't work, I'm in trouble!

Old 03-29-2018, 05:59 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Guaifesin was invented in 1952.
This is THE ONE that I am allergic to...seriously and every decongestant I’ve seen OTC has it. I’ve recently tried an herbal syrup that worked the first time, but this time it didn’t. Recently I caught a cold from a student and the accompanying congestion lasted for such a long time as I was at a loss as to what to use. Maybe I really should have gone the old Vick’s Vaporub route...

Old 03-29-2018, 06:12 PM

"every decongestant I’ve seen OTC has it"

I assume you're referring to cold/flu preparations? Just get the single ingredient you need. Also, decongestants do nothing for chest congestion.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:31 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,754 times
Quote:
"every decongestant I’ve seen OTC has it"

I assume you're referring to cold/flu preparations? Just get the single ingredient you need. Also, decongestants do nothing for chest congestion.
Thank you. I definitely have been mistaken about this!

Old 03-29-2018, 07:23 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I just sent the OP a list of non drug decongestants and it's good to have other choices. I don't buy anything hardly anymore in drug stores, health food stores or online...then of course my famous antioxidant for prevention.
Can you send that to me please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The best decongestant that I found, that did not change my sleep patterns, was 'Actifed'. I still use it, when I have a cold, even though I have not driven truck for many years. It works great and allows me to sleep when I am tired. I also like to team it up with a hot shower when possible. The long hot shower opens you up and then the Actifed helps you maintain that for many hours.
Actifed is still around? Is it a prescription? I used to take that when I was much younger and it worked well.

I've been taking the CVS version of Sudafed for years and it works well for me. Last year I read it can be damaging to your liver and decided not to take it once I ran out. But a month ago I had an allergy attack like I haven't had in 10+ years. I had to break down and buy more, simply because everything else out there is listed as 24 hours! Why is that? If a 4 hour med doesn't do anything you don't have to wait long to try something else. If a 24 hour one doesn't work you're stuck!!

I decided to try a nasal spray (also 24 hours) but I only took half a dose and it did seem to work.

Benadryl also works well for me but puts me to sleep so it's nighttime only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness