U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 12:32 PM

1,828 posts, read 850,174 times

Advertisements

I had it as a child. I was about 4-5 and my best friend/neighbor and the cat also had it. You didn't need a test to tell the cat had it.

I had it all over me and it itched like crazy. It was summer in Colorado. My friend and I wore only our underwear and were covered in a thick white cream.

Does your spot itch? Are you saying that the cat has been to the vet? Did you tell them you thought you had it?

Do you sleep alone? I wouldn't sleep with anyone who I thought had ringworm That includes (insert any name here).

Doesn't sound like ringworm to me. Some spider/insect bites form a red circle around a white or yellowish spot.

Its been 0ver 60 years and I still remember it. The other kids weren't allowed to touch us
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 12:57 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,993,638 times
They can do a skin test at the vet to check for Ringworm, if I remember correctly it didn't cost a small fortune..
If your pet has it, you will keep getting it also.

As far as I recall there are two types of treatments for your pet. A pill which most wont prescribe to a pup or kitten.
That leaves the other option, Sulfur baths.. It's yellow, smelly and will leave stains on stuff for weeks.
It dry's into a powder that tends to get all over the place. Did I mention it smells really bad?

Old 03-31-2018, 01:06 PM

426 posts, read 144,476 times
Its 'fungus amungus' if it has a ring around it, not a spider bite. I would not freak out. Just keep the cream on it, keep it covered, wash your hands with soap for 10 seconds after changing the bandaid. If the cat is the reservoir of infection that is a bigger problem. https://pets.webmd.com/cats/ringworm-in-cats#1
You or the vet can shine an ultraviolet light (black light) on the cat and see if there are glowing spots. https://healthfully.com/ultraviolet-...m-5139692.html

Old 03-31-2018, 04:28 PM

13,104 posts, read 17,640,353 times
you know we here in the south used to put clear nail polish on it so the infection cant breath and get air and that used to heal it real quick . I have never used anything else when I got it .

Old 03-31-2018, 06:29 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,726,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
As far as I know, spores are not flying around willy nilly. It's not an airborne infection. Yes, there does have to be contact of some sort, whether skin to skin or surface to skin, in order for the infection to be spread.
Just wipe the toilet seat thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol after you sit. Not all that "contagious" but the rash teems with organisms and, as such can infect others. Usually (but not always) OTC fungus creams will eliminate the infection but it may require a few weeks (if not, see a dermatologist; you'll need something stronger). Keep that area very dry and cover with absorbent cotton-only underwear.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 03-31-2018 at 07:28 PM..

Old 03-31-2018, 06:38 PM

16,163 posts, read 7,095,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
Its 'fungus amungus' if it has a ring around it, not a spider bite. I would not freak out. Just keep the cream on it, keep it covered, wash your hands with soap for 10 seconds after changing the bandaid. If the cat is the reservoir of infection that is a bigger problem. https://pets.webmd.com/cats/ringworm-in-cats#1
You or the vet can shine an ultraviolet light (black light) on the cat and see if there are glowing spots. https://healthfully.com/ultraviolet-...m-5139692.html
Also on you. That's how I found out I had it - after the vet found it on the cat, she turned the blacklight onto me, and yep, I had it on my arms.

I don't recall doing anything special besides putting the cream on it as directed.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:40 PM

11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Just wash your hands regarding the contagion worry.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:52 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,146,270 times
My daughter had it once...I don't know where she got it from (yes, we had a cat, but none of the rest of us got it), but the OTC stuff didn't do anything. She ended up having to take an antifungal by mouth. And even then it took a long time for it to go away completely.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:37 PM

13,490 posts, read 29,434,352 times
It’s weird, I’ve gotten ringworm and not even known where I got it, but I’ve also handled animals with known ringworm and never got it.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:57 AM

1,766 posts, read 2,402,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Just wipe the toilet seat thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol after you sit. Not all that "contagious" but the rash teems with organisms and, as such can infect others. Usually (but not always) OTC fungus creams will eliminate the infection but it may require a few weeks (if not, see a dermatologist; you'll need something stronger). Keep that area very dry and cover with absorbent cotton-only underwear.
You are wrong about that. It's highly contagious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or