U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 10:30 AM

12,362 posts, read 6,857,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
You don't need any expensive cream. As southernnaturelover said you can use any cream for athletes foot.

I got ringworm on my leg one time from the YMCA. Use the cream often and it will go away in a few weeks.
Not necessarily. I had it on my head and had to take a fancy liquid medicine called griseofulvin for a whole month. Worse still, you can't drink alcohol while taking it, as it will make you extremely sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 10:49 AM

2,137 posts, read 2,803,430 times
To be safe: Wash your sheets, towels, clothing and anything else that you or the cats have used in as hot of water as they can stand, dry in dryer as hot as they can tolerate. There are anti-fungal washes or shampoos that are made for cats. Bathe them if they are in good enough health to do so. Wash down cat areas.

Tea tree oil is a great all around disinfectant/anti-fungal. Many types available at a health food store or in the health section of the grocery can be used directly on the skin. John Paul Mitchell make a Tea Tree shampoo that my husband uses all over in the shower as he's somewhat susceptible to fungi. Use your anti-fungal cream as directed and think about taking an immune booster like Airborne or echinacea until it looks like it's clearing up.

It's not that big of a deal. Yes, you are contagious but fungi are all around us. The bikini area is prone to moistness which can be more problematic as far as timeliness in clearing it up (try to keep the area as dry as possible, some medicated powers are helpful) and problematic if you have a sexual partner. I would consider abstinence until it's completely gone.

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:48 PM

9,989 posts, read 4,685,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
They can do a skin test at the vet to check for Ringworm, if I remember correctly it didn't cost a small fortune..
If your pet has it, you will keep getting it also.

As far as I recall there are two types of treatments for your pet. A pill which most wont prescribe to a pup or kitten.
That leaves the other option, Sulfur baths.. It's yellow, smelly and will leave stains on stuff for weeks.
It dry's into a powder that tends to get all over the place. Did I mention it smells really bad?
My Vet wanted me to spend a small fortune on a little spot of ringworm on a kitten. Luckily we had gone to E-vet already who is way more casual. She said to get OTC anti-fungal creme and use it on myself if I got it. My Vet wanted to quarantine and do that sulfur bath and the culture that takes three weeks to grow.

It cleared up in less than a week, I never got it, the other cat never got it. YMMV

Old 04-01-2018, 06:27 PM

20,268 posts, read 1,761,038 times
I had it, many years ago, I don't remember how we treated it, I was a kid. More recently one of my cats got it, she had to have the smelly baths at the vets, but it got rid of it, & thankfully the other cats did not get it. I hope your clears up soon.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:13 PM

111 posts, read 60,163 times
Use Tea Tree Oil. Apply it to the area. Let it soak in. Or, you can use Castor Oil. The good stuff that is cold-pressed, like from Home Health. Castor Oil is anti-fungal. I use it for many uses. Your skin loves castor oil.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:08 AM

108 posts, read 53,153 times
Thanks for all the responses. I kept my appointment with the dermatologist today. I've been on the cream for a week now and it has really not changed, except for an additional ring that developed and filled in late last week. My initial instructions say to use the cream for a week only but I am continuing it.

The dermatologist took a scraping but since I've been treating it with an anti-fungal, she could not really see anything. She also did not see anything at indicated a bite mark in the middle, but if it was a lyme ring I could have gotten bit over 2 weeks ago.

She is really unclear on lyme treatment. I've tested positive for a past exposure to lyme so pretty much any test is going to show I've been exposed. Of course, if this is lyme I do not want to wait another month to start a treatment (which is when she wants to see me again). She thinks I can take a blood test and they can treat me with doxy if it comes back positive, but it will always come back positive for me.

The culture on our cat has not come back yet.

So, still inconclusive and I'm damn tired of washing stuff!

Old 04-05-2018, 10:35 PM

1,480 posts, read 564,082 times
My husband picked up ringworm from being around dogs at a rescue as a volunteer. In his case he has a low immune system. He has to watch his skin because he's so susceptible to infections.

In his case he got one 'circle' and that was it. It didn't spread. I didn't catch it. He just kept his hands clean after applying the ointment. It didn't itch.

You could see ringworm areas on your cat. They are 'bald' areas, not even a round spot. It could be on the ears, on the leg, really anyplace. It's odd the vet had to do an expensive culture because ringworm is visual. When I volunteered and fostered cats I could spot it -- Strays came in with ringworm every once in awhile. It's a fungal infection. It isn't a 'worm'.

If your cat has ringworm -- Heck - Look it up on the internet and look at the pictures of what ringworm look like on cats and dogs. You have to treat it just like you're treating yours. The vet should provide some stuff and you do have to keep the cat closed up in a bedroom and away from you. Or use a bathroom. Less to wash.

You may not have gotten this from your cat. I can't remember - Did you say you adopted the cat so maybe you picked it up while at the shelter? Like my husband -- He picked it up just being around animals. Our own pets didn't have it and no he didn't spread it to them.

Tip: He keeps the ointment in the fridge. He said it feels good going on cold. ))

I don't know if you have allergies but watch whether you're allergic to the creams. You could compound the problem.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitis456 View Post
I just got a new pet that has giardia so this doesn't really surprise me..
Yeah. giardia doesn't have anything to do with ringworm. It's totally different. You should have your cat on antibiotics and be really careful when cleaning the litterbox. (I know it's super smelly). I was told that the fumes from giardia can be dangerous to inhale (again I fostered sick cats for years).

I bet you picked up ringworm from the environment you got the cat from. Did you pick up other pets? Were you there awhile?

Like I said my husband just worked at the rescue. He never petted the dogs or worked with them. He picked up a spot of ringworm on his back, under his clothes.

You could ask all this on the cat thread under Pets.

Edit - Adding a few links:
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ringworm-in-cats

Giardiasis is caused by infection with the microscopic parasite Giardia. ... Cats can acquire Toxoplasma by eating infected rodents, birds, or anything contaminated with feces from another infected animal. An infected cat can shed the parasite in its feces for up to two weeks.

Sorry in advance for the adds:
https://catingtonpost.com/diseases-y...from-your-cat/

Old 04-07-2018, 01:39 PM

108 posts, read 53,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Yeah. giardia doesn't have anything to do with ringworm. It's totally different. You should have your cat on antibiotics and be really careful when cleaning the litterbox. (I know it's super smelly). I was told that the fumes from giardia can be dangerous to inhale (again I fostered sick cats for years).

I bet you picked up ringworm from the environment you got the cat from. Did you pick up other pets? Were you there awhile?

Like I said my husband just worked at the rescue. He never petted the dogs or worked with them. He picked up a spot of ringworm on his back, under his clothes.

You could ask all this on the cat thread under Pets.

Edit - Adding a few links:
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ringworm-in-cats

Giardiasis is caused by infection with the microscopic parasite Giardia. ... Cats can acquire Toxoplasma by eating infected rodents, birds, or anything contaminated with feces from another infected animal. An infected cat can shed the parasite in its feces for up to two weeks.

Sorry in advance for the adds:
https://catingtonpost.com/diseases-y...from-your-cat/
Hi, yes I know giardia has nothing to do with ringworm. Except in the case when you think you've gotten a fully vetted animal and you find they have severe gum disease and giardia, then ringworm would not surprise you. Or me as I said above.

The only cat I touched at the shelter (in Petsmart) was the one we took home. They brought her out to a room for us to see her. This was the end of February and I think ringworm would show up before last week if I got it from there.

It is not unheard of for the animals not to have visual signs which is why we went ahead with the culture. If she comes back positive we know for sure what we're dealing with. At this point we're really guessing.

The dermatologist also told me it could be pityriasis rosea (on me) but I'm not seeing any additional spots which is what is supposed to happen as it goes on. The good news is if it's that, it's not contagious at all.

How long before your husband saw improvement in his ringworm spot? It's still cold here - I am not putting anything that goes on my bare skin in the fridge.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:00 PM

It's been years since he had it. He never worried about it, just saw his GP, picked up the ointment, and treated it. I can't remember how long he took to recover. Around that time we did find he's more sensitive to skin problems. He never had a problem with poison ivy until he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3erObWra3q8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or