U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 04:59 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,144,124 times

Advertisements

So, I thought I was fairly safe. I'm early retired after a parent company took over our company 100% ownership in June 2016. I'm now age 59, got my flu shot when the other retiree's got theirs at the October end of the year "how the company is doing" lunch.

I have COPD (chronic bronchitis), asthma, and take 25-50mg's of Zinc every single day without fail. I don't go out a whole lot, except for two things: My church has a ritual EVERY Sunday where they shake hands with people around you. I did that this past Sunday. However, I had gone out to lunch with two old co-workers on Friday, and ONE of them was very sick (he didn't tell me). Not sure if he had flu or not, but likely.

I started getting sick by Monday morning, just pretty lightly, sneezing and a little coughing. It ramped up from there. It took a couple days, and I actually got a temp as high as 100.8 at one time (never higher). I took some Tylenol, and knocked it down a degree. Later it went back up.To now, where on Friday (today) I'm bleary-eyed, have some sort of intestinal gastritis/diarrhea/loose bowels, and am having gut WRENCHING coughs that make me feel like I'm going to break a rib. Mostly clear to slightly yellow phlegm coming up.

Menthol cough drops help keep the cough down, but they are hard to take often without getting sick of them.

Is there any chance this came from a hand shaker at church this past Sunday, or is it more likely I caught it from my friend on last week Friday? Can it hit in 24 hours?

I guess either way, anybody got anything I can try to stomp this a bit quicker? I don't have the money to go to the doc right now, as that would cost me $135 with the retiree high deductible health plan I'm stuck with. If it is flu, there's likely nothing they can do anyway. I am still taking the Zinc pills...

My temp earlier was just below 98.6F, and right now it's 100F even.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:49 PM

4,837 posts, read 5,900,840 times
Sorry you got the flu. I got it too back in January. I had gotten the flu shot as well. The flu shot was about 10% effective this year. And even if it was effective it may not of still been working by now.
Make sure you rest and drink lots of fluids and do not do anything you do not have to do. This flu will turn into pneumonia pretty quickly so please be conscious of that.
My flu kept me bedridden for about 10 days. It sucked.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:19 PM

27,425 posts, read 17,619,243 times
It doesn't sound like it is necessarily the flu, that's a pretty low temp. It could be a bad cold or bronchitis.

Standard treatment, tylenol, cold medicine (if you need to suppress symptoms), hot soup, lots of fluids and rest.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-30-2018, 07:26 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,144,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It doesn't sound like it is necessarily the flu, that's a pretty low temp. It could be a bad cold or bronchitis.

Standard treatment, tylenol, cold medicine (if you need to suppress symptoms), hot soup, lots of fluids and rest.
I'm just not sure what it is. I'm basically pretty high functioning for it to be just flu, and it does seem a lot more like an acute case of bronchitis. Since I have chronic bronchitis anyway, I have to be very careful of catching a case of acute bronchitis.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:37 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
So, I thought I was fairly safe. I'm early retired after a parent company took over our company 100% ownership in June 2016. I'm now age 59, got my flu shot when the other retiree's got theirs at the October end of the year "how the company is doing" lunch.

I have COPD (chronic bronchitis), asthma, and take 25-50mg's of Zinc every single day without fail. I don't go out a whole lot, except for two things: My church has a ritual EVERY Sunday where they shake hands with people around you. I did that this past Sunday. However, I had gone out to lunch with two old co-workers on Friday, and ONE of them was very sick (he didn't tell me). Not sure if he had flu or not, but likely.

I started getting sick by Monday morning, just pretty lightly, sneezing and a little coughing. It ramped up from there. It took a couple days, and I actually got a temp as high as 100.8 at one time (never higher). I took some Tylenol, and knocked it down a degree. Later it went back up.To now, where on Friday (today) I'm bleary-eyed, have some sort of intestinal gastritis/diarrhea/loose bowels, and am having gut WRENCHING coughs that make me feel like I'm going to break a rib. Mostly clear to slightly yellow phlegm coming up.

Menthol cough drops help keep the cough down, but they are hard to take often without getting sick of them.

Is there any chance this came from a hand shaker at church this past Sunday, or is it more likely I caught it from my friend on last week Friday? Can it hit in 24 hours?

I guess either way, anybody got anything I can try to stomp this a bit quicker? I don't have the money to go to the doc right now, as that would cost me $135 with the retiree high deductible health plan I'm stuck with. If it is flu, there's likely nothing they can do anyway. I am still taking the Zinc pills...

The incubation period for flu is 1-4 days, so if you got sick Monday it could have been either the church service or the lunch Friday, or something else in the previous four days. It's kind of pointless to try to figure out who made you sick.

If there's any way you can come up with the money to go to the doctor, you should do so. You may need antibiotics for the cough. Does your insurance have an "ask a nurse" line or equivalent that you could at least call?

Old 03-30-2018, 08:51 PM

1,572 posts, read 557,030 times
Getting a flu shot is like wearing a seat belt - it doesn't guarantee your safety, but it improves your chances.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:09 PM

4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times
There are things still going around besides the flu as well. One place I work we've been getting a ton of Human Metapneumovirus positives through March.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:29 PM

27,425 posts, read 17,619,243 times
Hope you feel better!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-30-2018, 10:20 PM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post

I agree with Katarina that it would be impossible to know who you caught it from.

Since you have COPD I would advise seeing a doctor. The GI symptoms suggest something other than flu. Getting tested could help rule it out. It is not too late to start Tamiflu if you test positive, but the sooner the better. Your doctor may want you on an antibiotic regardless of the results of the flu test, because of the COPD.

One other consideration, with the severity of the cough, would be pertussis. Have you had the Tdap booster?

I also hope you are better soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The flu shot was about 10% effective this year.
That figure came from Australia.

For the US, the overall effectiveness was about 36%. That figure may be adjusted when the season is completely over.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6706a2.htm

"During this period, overall adjusted vaccine effectiveness (VE) against influenza A and influenza B virus infection associated with medically attended ARI was 36% (95% confidence interval [CI] = 27%–44%). Most (69%) influenza infections were caused by A(H3N2) viruses. VE was estimated to be 25% (CI = 13% to 36%) against illness caused by influenza A(H3N2) virus, 67% (CI = 54%–76%) against A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses, and 42% (CI = 25%–56%) against influenza B viruses."

Old 03-30-2018, 10:41 PM

7,086 posts, read 2,207,882 times
I started getting flu shots every year, in 1995 and I haven't caught it since. I'd had the flu about 8 times in my life before. A couple of times, it was severe and lasted a long time. So I'd say that the shots have worked well for me. I have had a number of lesser viruses, that gave me a lingering cough, but didn't make me feel very sick. I'm in excellent general health and eat nothing but healthy food. I've also been in athletic training since I was a small boy and I think that has boosted my health and my immune system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or