U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 07:46 AM

10,647 posts, read 3,333,649 times

Advertisements

My daughter is back to normal and off to school! Thanks for everyone’s posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 07:04 PM

6,936 posts, read 4,309,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
OP,
Are you really planning to discontinue the antibiotics?
I think the course for antibiotics has to be completed once you start taking them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I did discontinue the antibiotics. Her pediatrician told me there was no reason for her to take them at this time and it's not good to take antibiotics "just in case". That's part of the reason why these super bugs are resistant to antibiotics. Too much over use and doctors prescribing them for no reason.
Not using the antibacterial regimen fully (supposedly 10 days in your daughter's case) is another reason for super-bugs, I think that is what nirvana07 was hinting at. Then again, taking the regimen fully (10 days) while negative for the pathogen also is linked to superbugs.

Your pediatrician most likely made the right choice.

Continuing the antibiotics while having the flu and being negative for strep is rather counterproductive.

The antibiotics might kill a broad range of bacteria and cause intestinal side-effects. Furthermore, I've heard there is a chance that the immune system stops fighting the flu as hard and start fighting the weakened bacterial stragglers (because they might release toxins (and other noticeable products) as last-ditch efforts to survive).

This would just extend her flu sickness, even leading perhaps to viral pneumonia as was mentioned.

Then again, it could (very small chance) have been a co-infection with flu and another bacteria (not the negative one) if the throat looked that bad. There is also the very slight possibility of false negative tests.

Lots of unknowns (known unknowns and unknown unknowns) in healthcare.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:26 PM

85,033 posts, read 98,948,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Not using the antibacterial regimen fully (supposedly 10 days in your daughter's case) is another reason for super-bugs, I think that is what nirvana07 was hinting at. Then again, taking the regimen fully (10 days) while negative for the pathogen also is linked to superbugs.

Your pediatrician most likely made the right choice.

Continuing the antibiotics while having the flu and being negative for strep is rather counterproductive.

The antibiotics might kill a broad range of bacteria and cause intestinal side-effects. Furthermore, I've heard there is a chance that the immune system stops fighting the flu as hard and start fighting the weakened bacterial stragglers (because they might release toxins (and other noticeable products) as last-ditch efforts to survive).

This would just extend her flu sickness, even leading perhaps to viral pneumonia as was mentioned.

Then again, it could (very small chance) have been a co-infection with flu and another bacteria (not the negative one) if the throat looked that bad. There is also the very slight possibility of false negative tests.

Lots of unknowns (known unknowns and unknown unknowns) in healthcare.
The throat culture would likely have been negative by day 3 of antibiotics even if she had strep. I don't know why the doctor swabbed her, nor do I know why she discontinued the antibiotic. The possibility of a false negative rapid strep for someone not taking ABs is about 5%, which really is a lot.

I've never heard the stuff in bold. Do you have a source?

Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 AM

22,777 posts, read 21,833,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
Sometimes Pharyngitis is treated presumptively with antibiotics if it is "looks bad" like you said ie. maybe pus and/or exudate.

So if a rapid strep had been done and came back negative antibiotics may have been warranted by clinical exam anyway?

I think whether you file a complaint or just feedback to the clinic hopefully the Provider who saw your daughter can learn from the experience.
Yes. It doesn't have to be strep. I wouldn't have stopped the antibiotics after three days. That can cause problems.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:47 PM

3,057 posts, read 1,221,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes. It doesn't have to be strep. I wouldn't have stopped the antibiotics after three days. That can cause problems.
The jury is now out on whether you need to continue antibiotics just because. In this case, it sounds like they were not working so why increase the risk of c-diff? If the pediatrician recommends stopping, then the OP should follow those instructions.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:03 PM

85,033 posts, read 98,948,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The jury is now out on whether you need to continue antibiotics just because. In this case, it sounds like they were not working so why increase the risk of c-diff? If the pediatrician recommends stopping, then the OP should follow those instructions.
They seem to have worked as the patient's throat looked very "streppy" at the UC, and was better three days later. I agree the OP should go by what the dr. said, it probably didn't make any difference one way or the other. I do however question testing for strep after three days on ABs and then saying the child doesn't have strep so stop the AB.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:26 PM

426 posts, read 145,462 times
If your daughter had a presenting temp of 104 it would have been too late for Tamiflu. That has to be given as flu is coming on to be effective.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:30 PM

21,564 posts, read 26,178,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
If your daughter had a presenting temp of 104 it would have been too late for Tamiflu. That has to be given as flu is coming on to be effective.
The sooner Tamiflu is started, the better, but it has nothing to do with the presenting temp. It works best when started within 48 hours, within 12 hours is better, and before onset of symptoms (when you know you have been exposed) is even better.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

THIS EXACTLY!! OMG, I actually got C-Diff a few years ago and it was awful!! I was on antibiotics for Strep (I know) and then was off for about a week when I then had a dentist appointment. I have to take 2000mg of Amoxicillin an hour before the appointment due to a VSD repair I have. Anyway it was terrible! I now know to take probiotics! I learned the hard way!

I did give my daughter a probiotic while taking the antibiotic, but she did end up having diarrhea a few days after she stopped taking it and the doctor said it was due to the antibiotic and now so much the flu.

At any rate, she 100% back to normal and feeling good, so I believe what her pediatrician told me was correct.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The sooner Tamiflu is started, the better, but it has nothing to do with the presenting temp. It works best when started within 48 hours, within 12 hours is better, and before onset of symptoms (when you know you have been exposed) is even better.

So are you saying that my DH, other daughter and myself should have taken Tamiflu as a preventative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness