U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:12 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
So are you saying that my DH, other daughter and myself should have taken Tamiflu as a preventative?
It is not routinely offered unless the exposed person is high risk for some reason.

I am glad your DD is better, and it looks like no one else has it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 11:34 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The jury is now out on whether you need to continue antibiotics just because. In this case, it sounds like they were not working so why increase the risk of c-diff? If the pediatrician recommends stopping, then the OP should follow those instructions.
The jury can be out for as long they'd like to be, but in the meantime, I'll finish the antibiotics.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:52 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,323,545 times
This is why healthcare is so expensive. Because every bonehead expects perfection. It's also the reason I do not accept any insurance in my office. If I am not allowed to make mistakes, no way I am working for discounted fees.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:21 AM

8,321 posts, read 17,648,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The jury is now out on whether you need to continue antibiotics just because. In this case, it sounds like they were not working so why increase the risk of c-diff? If the pediatrician recommends stopping, then the OP should follow those instructions.

Unless that child has other medical conditions that we aren't aware of, the risk of her having c diff from one course of antibiotics is nil to none.

Personally, unless my child was diagnosed with a bacterial infection, she wouldn't have taken the abx to begin with. This is why we have super bugs...over use and under use of abx...taking when when not needed and not taking them when needed.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:16 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,316,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
This is why healthcare is so expensive. Because every bonehead expects perfection. It's also the reason I do not accept any insurance in my office. If I am not allowed to make mistakes, no way I am working for discounted fees.

WOW, do you actually have patients? BTW, I'm not a "bonehead" as you described! I'm a mother who took her daughter to the doctor. I would think that Strep or the Flu is simple enough to diagnose. This thread has nothing to do with insurance. Don't worry about responding....carry on please!

Last edited by CGab; 04-09-2018 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 11:38 AM

4,784 posts, read 4,667,418 times
Quote:
WOW, do you actually have patients? BTW, I'm not a "bonehead" as you described! I'm a mother who took her daughter to the doctor. I would think that Strep or the Flu is simple enough to diagnose. This thread has nothing to do with insurance. Don't worry about responding....carry on please!
Sometimes things present as other things, which is why they should have done a swab. I know the last time I had the flu my throat looked really bad too---I could barely swallow.

Even rapid strep testing takes five minutes. (And for those that don't come up positive, they should have a separate swab for culture.) Sometimes a doctor makes a mistake. But now you know if it happens in the future, insist on a work-up.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:42 PM

6,895 posts, read 4,298,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The throat culture would likely have been negative by day 3 of antibiotics even if she had strep. I don't know why the doctor swabbed her, nor do I know why she discontinued the antibiotic. The possibility of a false negative rapid strep for someone not taking ABs is about 5%, which really is a lot.

I've never heard the stuff in bold. Do you have a source?
Yes, I have found a source (I had originally heard of it in classes).

Quote:
Antibiotics have been shown to impair immunity against lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV) in mice by lowering the expression of antiviral genes such as Ifnb and Irf7 in lung macrophages, resulting in defects in CD8+ T cell expansion, as well as in IFN-γ/TNF-α and IgG production [26. Another study reported that splenic macrophages from GF and antibiotic-treated mice also failed to prime natural killer (NK) cells because of reduced chromatin accessibility in the promoter region of genes encoding cytokines such as type I IFNs (α, β), IL-6, and TNF-α [27. As a result, antibiotic-treated mice failed to control infection with mouse cytomegalovirus (MCMV) [27.

~http://www.cell.com/trends/molecular...914(16)30007-7
These are mouse models with some mice viruses, but one could see the possible interpolation into any similar mammalian immune system such as ours.

Of course, I've also heard that killing the gut bacteria -- especially the gram(+)'s -- will decrease Th17 differentiation. So it looks like broad-spectrum antibiotics could be bad for both viral (current) and bacterial infections (soon-after, such as C. diff(?)).

Old 04-13-2018, 03:06 PM

84,966 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yup. Not to mention there are plenty of NEGATIVE strep tests that are subsequently sent for culture and come back positive. Then would you be mad she went three days WITHOUT antibiotics based on a test that is known to sometimes be unreliable?

Until late in this flu season, your daughter would not have fit the CDC recommended group of people to get Tamiflu anyway. Part of the reason they are now in the last couple of months recommending it is to curb the spread.

And all this media hysteria of people dying is just that. Hysteria. Yes. Some young people died of flu. This happens every single year. More kids died in the 2014-15 season and people are all freaked out by this season thanks to the media. Great.
Update: Now, more kids have died this year than in 2014-15; 151 so far. Total that year was 148.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Old 04-13-2018, 03:19 PM

324 posts, read 93,332 times
Quote:
They did take my insurance and I did not have to pay upfront, but we have a HDP and NOTHING is paid until we meet our deductible. That includes prescriptions. So the antibiotic was $55 and if I had to guess the visit will be about $90-$120.
I know all clinics are different, but watch out; we got a bill for almost 1,000! They Will try to charge you on anything and everything.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:03 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And all this media hysteria of people dying is just that. Hysteria. Yes. Some young people died of flu. This happens every single year. More kids died in the 2014-15 season and people are all freaked out by this season thanks to the media. Great.
The sad thing is that on average three quarters of the young people who die from flu were not vaccinated and about half of them have no underlying health problems.

The publicity was to try to get more people to vaccinate. The problem with flu vaccine is that the anti-vax folks harp on its lower effectiveness because there will never be a vaccine they like. It actually would not take an extremely high vaccine uptake during most seasons for us to see some herd effect.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22414740

"The objectives of vaccination coverage proposed in the United States - 80% in healthy persons and 90% in high-risk persons - are sufficient to establish herd immunity, while those proposed in Europe - only 75% in elderly and high-risk persons - are not sufficient."

The higher vaccine uptake here compared to Australia is a factor in the higher effectiveness of the H3N2 component of the vaccine here this year. It still was much less effective than average but significantly better than in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Update: Now, more kids have died this year than in 2014-15; 151 so far. Total that year was 148.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm
Also, the season is not over yet. There will be more, I'm sure. Your link shows there are areas in the country that are still seeing a lot of flu. Out of the last fourteen flu seasons, since pediatric death stats have been kept, there were only two seasons with higher rates: 288 during the 2009-2010 pandemic and 171 in 2012-2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness