U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 07:18 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,726,949 times

Advertisements

I suffered a fall a couple of years ago and went to UC based in my home clinic. Since I hit my head they sent me to the ER due to my age. They cat scanned my head, xrayed my wrist and my knee. I thought they were getting a picture of my hand. It had turned blackish purple. I went back later and got a copy of the xray and saw that it was my wrist and not my hand. It had continued to hurt. When I saw my reg. doctor a while later, I mentioned my hand still hurting and could I get an xray. They called me next day and said they didn't see anything with the hand on the xray.

A year later I was having increased pain in my knuckle and sought out a hand doctor/surgeon, supposed to be the best in central Florida. (The pain had been there before the fall). He asked me had I had a trauma to the hand in the last year or so. I said I fell a few months back. Why ? He said I had broken the hand in the fall and he showed me the fracture........ When I mentioned this to my reg. doctor he said, "well, we all make mistakes......". Of course, he knows I don't trust any doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 08:20 PM

15,884 posts, read 4,991,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I suffered a fall a couple of years ago and went to UC based in my home clinic. Since I hit my head they sent me to the ER due to my age. They cat scanned my head, xrayed my wrist and my knee. I thought they were getting a picture of my hand. It had turned blackish purple. I went back later and got a copy of the xray and saw that it was my wrist and not my hand. It had continued to hurt. When I saw my reg. doctor a while later, I mentioned my hand still hurting and could I get an xray. They called me next day and said they didn't see anything with the hand on the xray.

A year later I was having increased pain in my knuckle and sought out a hand doctor/surgeon, supposed to be the best in central Florida. (The pain had been there before the fall). He asked me had I had a trauma to the hand in the last year or so. I said I fell a few months back. Why ? He said I had broken the hand in the fall and he showed me the fracture........ When I mentioned this to my reg. doctor he said, "well, we all make mistakes......". Of course, he knows I don't trust any doctor.
Often those falls will cause arthritis to set in. I have 60 yrs of OA but a friend who never had OA and she's 81 has fallen in the last couple yrs and her knee is messed up and MD says most likely arthritis came on with fall. Just a thought. I think this is a tad off topic but I'm replying.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:37 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,854,595 times
When I went to urgent care several months ago I was diagnosed and treated for an acute bacterial pulmonary infection. (No flu test administered).

Here's the thing. The urgent care doc rightfully advised me to follow up with my primary care doc and the discharge papers also instructed me to have a follow up. I'm betting your daughter's discharge papers also directed you to do the same. Yes?

Old 03-30-2018, 08:54 PM

7,970 posts, read 4,950,430 times
They ill tell you the diagnostic test is 50/50 and the treatment is 50/50 because that is what the CDC tells them.
You are born and you just have to take your chances. Since you are upset about your daughter, which is how a parent is supposed to feel I will avoid quoting John Maynard Keynes, as I usually do.
God created doctors so we would aspire to a long life on earth.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:05 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,417,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Hi all!

My 12 yr old daughter started feeling ill late Sunday night. She was achy and had a headache. Monday same. Tuesday morning she woke me up early saying she was seeing spots and nothing else. I sat her down and got her water. I then took her temp and it was 104. I brought her right away to one of those Urgent Aid clinics and the doctor said she had Strep. He didn't swab her for it because he said her throat looked nasty. He prescribed Cefdinar (an antibiotic) for 10 days. He also stated everything else looked good and sent us on our way. Wednesday and Thursday go by and her fever stayed at about 102. It would come down with Mortrin and Tylenol, but never broke.

Today fever was still around 101, so I took her to see her pediatrician and she tested her for both Strep and the Flu. Strep came back negative and Flu was positive! She said to discontinue the antibiotics immediately (which she already took for 3 days now) and unfortunately we just need to wait it out and watch out for pneumonia (as she does have a cough now too). Had the other doctor caught it, she could have taken Tamiflu which would have helped her get over it sooner!

I'm so mad! Not only has this ruined my daughters entire Spring break this week, but the poor girl is miserable! I mean, kids are dying from the flu!! I also sent an email to the director of the Urgent Aid clinic letting them know what happened and demanding they waive whatever my bill will be and the $55 for the antibiotics! Would you have done that or would you have let it go and never gone back there?

I don't think an ER visit would have cost that much for this. Does your insurance have a co-pay? My dad's is like $50 and mine is $100 or $200, I think.

Many of these places aren't set-up to run rapid testing. At one of the places I work, the rapid strep takes about five minutes to run---however, we always send a secondary swab out for culture because obviously, rapid testing isn't always that accurate for a myriad of reasons.

Too bad he just assumed. I would be mad too. The last time I had the flu my throat was so sore I couldn't even swallow and it looked terrible---but I had the flu not strep. I would follow-up as much as possible with the clinic. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:44 PM

13,931 posts, read 19,899,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
She's not in the clear yet. She still has a low grade fever and she's now coughing. Her doctor said we need to keep an eye on the cough. Her lungs are clear, but it could easily turn into pneumonia.

I really wish I would have insisted on a swab for the Strep test, but you live and learn and I just have to wish for a speedy recovery for her! I also have a younger daughter and the pediatrician said if there is any sign that she has the flu I can just call and she will prescribe her Tamiflu so I don't need to bring her in. Hopefully she won't get it. Of course, we all could as the rest of us have not had it at all this year.

And before someone asks.....NO, none of us got the flu shot this year! I know
Frustrating you have to be you’re own advocate. He should have never said your daughter had strep without a swab. Really sorry, hope she gets better soon!

Old 03-31-2018, 09:21 AM

10,027 posts, read 2,873,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I don't think an ER visit would have cost that much for this. Does your insurance have a co-pay? My dad's is like $50 and mine is $100 or $200, I think.

Many of these places aren't set-up to run rapid testing. At one of the places I work, the rapid strep takes about five minutes to run---however, we always send a secondary swab out for culture because obviously, rapid testing isn't always that accurate for a myriad of reasons.

Too bad he just assumed. I would be mad too. The last time I had the flu my throat was so sore I couldn't even swallow and it looked terrible---but I had the flu not strep. I would follow-up as much as possible with the clinic. Good luck.
We do not have an co-pays. We have to pay everything 100% until we hit our $4k individual or $8k family deductible. That includes prescriptions! That’s another reason why I’m so mad as we will now have 2 doctors visits, plus the medication to pay for. An ER visit would have been well over $k though and I didn’t feel she was that bad for the an ER visit anyway. The only reason why I didn’t initially take her to her pediatrician was because it was early in the morning and I wanted to get her treatment without sitting at her doctors office for a few hours.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:32 AM

542 posts, read 468,982 times
OP,
Are you really planning to discontinue the antibiotics?
I think the course for antibiotics has to be completed once you start taking them?

Old 03-31-2018, 10:34 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,524,174 times
OP; how's your daughter?

I tried to reply to your thread late last night but I fell asleep (it was almost 3am). I hate it when my kids are sick; ugh! Worry, worry, worry ...

You've done a fine job trying to take care of her, don't worry about that:

- I would rather sit in a busy ER with a toddler than a teen (tween) & I don't blame you for going to urgent care. At least with a little one you can make them more comfortable & distract them away from whatever else is going on. Teens get really anxious in the ER, IMO as a mom & IMO as having worked in the busiest ER in our state.

- The pediatrician's office during spring break? You would have to be a glutton for punishment. I scheduled my twins orthodontist appointment for this spring break. I don't know what I was thinking ... (probably, "lets schedule for spring break so I don't have to pull them out of school for 2 hours!") I almost rescheduled it; I should know better by now.

- Did the doctor (pedi) do the rapid or the culture for Strep? If your daughter was on the 5-day antibiotic dose, those 3 days may have been enough to cause a false-negative on the rapid.

Starting an antibiotic before results are in on the strep culture used to be the accepted practice before the rapid test was used. Untreated Strep can lead to Rheumatic Heart Fever & the idea was it was better to be safe than sorry; you could always just discontinue the antibiotic if was negative.

- Did either doctor listen to her lungs? My concern is that you say she is coughing & has not broken the fever for 5 days? Post-influenza pneumonia is typically caused by S. pneumoniae and S. aureus & the antibiotic given to your daughter for Strep would not be very effective for that. 3 days on an antibiotic is long enough to see improvement ... unless the germs are not susceptible.

Meaning; I'm wondering if those germs are already there. I'm wondering if they should have just changed the antibiotic instead of going no-antibiotic.

- When she coughs, is she bringing anything up? Young girls drive me crazy with their "trying not to be gross" coughs. Give her a roll of toilet paper & tell her to use it to spit in. She needs to get the gunk out of her lungs. Tell her to take a big, deep breath & cough, then spit out the sputum into a piece of tissue & throw it away in a designated "tissue trash" with a liner/bag that you tie up before carrying through the house.

If she says "I don't feel like coughing" but when she does it's productive? Tell her to cough anyway, with a deep breath. I'm always yelling "You call that a cough?" at my kids; they probably think I'm nuts.

Hope she's better soon, ugh. I'd rather be the one who is sick than watch my kids suffer.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:19 AM

83,529 posts, read 96,572,597 times
^^Re: pediatrician's office during spring break-I worked in a peds office, and we were often very slow during spring break. Lots of patients went out of town. Of course, those that were in town decided it was a perfect time to get those sports physicals, warts removed, acne taken care of, etc.

Re: the OP's daughter-It is possible to have both strep and flu at the same time. Strep is pretty common here in CO, don't know where the OP lives. My point being you probably won't get anywhere complaining the DD was dx with strep and then it wasn't, other than that they probably should have done a strep test. Agree that after three days on ABs, even if she'd had strep, it might not have shown up on the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness