U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 12:04 PM

8,625 posts, read 5,763,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^Re: pediatrician's office during spring break-I worked in a peds office, and we were often very slow during spring break. Lots of patients went out of town. Of course, those that were in town decided it was a perfect time to get those sports physicals, warts removed, acne taken care of, etc.

Re: the OP's daughter-It is possible to have both strep and flu at the same time. Strep is pretty common here in CO, don't know where the OP lives. My point being you probably won't get anywhere complaining the DD was dx with strep and then it wasn't, other than that they probably should have done a strep test. Agree that after three days on ABs, even if she'd had strep, it might not have shown up on the test.
That's true. I'm a little surprised though, that the OP's daughter was not tested for flu with a rapid Influenza A/B kit at the rapid treatment center, just to rule it out or for the health department stats. Seems during the flu season in this neck of the woods, most primary care docs offices, rapid treatment centers, and emergency rooms do so on patients with respiratory symptoms. Unless the doctor at the OP's rapid treatment center was so certain the kid had strep throat (IIRC there's no associated runny nose with strep throat, there's a typical look for a throat infected with strep-not always limited to strep though-and stinky breath from a strep tbroat infection) and didn't think of the possibility that she might have had the flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 01:54 PM

919 posts, read 329,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Hi all!

My 12 yr old daughter started feeling ill late Sunday night. She was achy and had a headache. Monday same. Tuesday morning she woke me up early saying she was seeing spots and nothing else. I sat her down and got her water. I then took her temp and it was 104. I brought her right away to one of those Urgent Aid clinics and the doctor said she had Strep. He didn't swab her for it because he said her throat looked nasty. He prescribed Cefdinar (an antibiotic) for 10 days. He also stated everything else looked good and sent us on our way. Wednesday and Thursday go by and her fever stayed at about 102. It would come down with Mortrin and Tylenol, but never broke.

Today fever was still around 101, so I took her to see her pediatrician and she tested her for both Strep and the Flu. Strep came back negative and Flu was positive! She said to discontinue the antibiotics immediately (which she already took for 3 days now) and unfortunately we just need to wait it out and watch out for pneumonia (as she does have a cough now too). Had the other doctor caught it, she could have taken Tamiflu which would have helped her get over it sooner!

I'm so mad! Not only has this ruined my daughters entire Spring break this week, but the poor girl is miserable! I mean, kids are dying from the flu!! I also sent an email to the director of the Urgent Aid clinic letting them know what happened and demanding they waive whatever my bill will be and the $55 for the antibiotics! Would you have done that or would you have let it go and never gone back there?
A friendís son had a serious reaction to tamiflu, a seizure, so be thankful. It only reduces by 3 days anyway. Not much can be done for the flu other than rest. Sorry for your daughter.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:30 PM

6,527 posts, read 4,788,684 times
I would never go to a fake doc in a box

That said, anyone, including world class docs, can, and do, sometimes misdiagnose

Doc in the box may ne OK for camp physicals, but nothing more

I would make sure that you get your refund for the visit and meds

Old 03-31-2018, 04:23 PM

82,792 posts, read 95,236,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I would never go to a fake doc in a box

That said, anyone, including world class docs, can, and do, sometimes misdiagnose

Doc in the box may ne OK for camp physicals, but nothing more

I would make sure that you get your refund for the visit and meds
Re: the meds-As several of us have said, it is possible the DD had strep, but the three days worth of meds rendered a strep test negative. I doubt they'll refund the cost of the visit either. The doctor will probably be able to document how s/he made their diagnosis.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:29 PM

82,792 posts, read 95,236,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
A friendís son had a serious reaction to tamiflu, a seizure, so be thankful. It only reduces by 3 days anyway. Not much can be done for the flu other than rest. Sorry for your daughter.
Actually, Tamiflu reduces the duration of flu by less than that, usually it reduces symptoms by about a day. Considering how awful the symptoms are, it may be well worth it. A study came out this month that shows that Tamiflu does not increase suicide in kids. https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/n...teen-suicide#1

The media coverage of this flu season has been beyond awful.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:59 PM

2,392 posts, read 1,563,592 times
Tamiflu is controversial. It works in a few cases, but not most. Actually works best if taken before the symptoms even start. Nice drug, but needs work.

What bugs me is that there were no swabs for strep at the acute care clinic. You brought her there, and from what you describe, that would be the "standard of care." If she wound up having Strep, and subsequently developed rheumatic fever (rare these days) you'd have lawsuit.

Otherwise, sounds just like flu. Lots of rest TLC, she'll get over it.

If anything, you overreacted; but then again, 50 years ago you routinely visited the "doctor's office" with a sick kid. These are different days.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:40 PM

1,311 posts, read 525,754 times
I am surprised they didn't test for flu considering how it's been going around.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:22 PM

9,437 posts, read 2,559,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
OP; how's your daughter?

I tried to reply to your thread late last night but I fell asleep (it was almost 3am). I hate it when my kids are sick; ugh! Worry, worry, worry ...

You've done a fine job trying to take care of her, don't worry about that:

- I would rather sit in a busy ER with a toddler than a teen (tween) & I don't blame you for going to urgent care. At least with a little one you can make them more comfortable & distract them away from whatever else is going on. Teens get really anxious in the ER, IMO as a mom & IMO as having worked in the busiest ER in our state.

- The pediatrician's office during spring break? You would have to be a glutton for punishment. I scheduled my twins orthodontist appointment for this spring break. I don't know what I was thinking ... (probably, "lets schedule for spring break so I don't have to pull them out of school for 2 hours!") I almost rescheduled it; I should know better by now.

- Did the doctor (pedi) do the rapid or the culture for Strep? If your daughter was on the 5-day antibiotic dose, those 3 days may have been enough to cause a false-negative on the rapid.

Starting an antibiotic before results are in on the strep culture used to be the accepted practice before the rapid test was used. Untreated Strep can lead to Rheumatic Heart Fever & the idea was it was better to be safe than sorry; you could always just discontinue the antibiotic if was negative.

- Did either doctor listen to her lungs? My concern is that you say she is coughing & has not broken the fever for 5 days? Post-influenza pneumonia is typically caused by S. pneumoniae and S. aureus & the antibiotic given to your daughter for Strep would not be very effective for that. 3 days on an antibiotic is long enough to see improvement ... unless the germs are not susceptible.

Meaning; I'm wondering if those germs are already there. I'm wondering if they should have just changed the antibiotic instead of going no-antibiotic.

- When she coughs, is she bringing anything up? Young girls drive me crazy with their "trying not to be gross" coughs. Give her a roll of toilet paper & tell her to use it to spit in. She needs to get the gunk out of her lungs. Tell her to take a big, deep breath & cough, then spit out the sputum into a piece of tissue & throw it away in a designated "tissue trash" with a liner/bag that you tie up before carrying through the house.

If she says "I don't feel like coughing" but when she does it's productive? Tell her to cough anyway, with a deep breath. I'm always yelling "You call that a cough?" at my kids; they probably think I'm nuts.

Hope she's better soon, ugh. I'd rather be the one who is sick than watch my kids suffer.

Thanks again to all who post! We're in NW Indiana, 35 miles from Chicago.

We literally were in the Urgent Care for not even ten minutes! My daughter had a slight sore throat, but I think that was due to nasal dripping in her throat as the next day she was stuffy. She was already coughing a little at the time and it was and still is productive. The doctor came in, felt her throat, looked in her throat and ears, listened to her chest and said it was Strep. He didn't test for anything. Gave her an RX for Cefdinar (which I never heard of). I didn't really think anything of it and to be honest I had my younger daughter with as well, so I just wanted to get out of there!

When we went to her pediatrician yesterday she did the culture for Strep (not rapid) and the test for flu. She told us to not go back to that Urgent Aid again (no kidding). She's a great doctor and I've never had a problem with her and know many other families who go to her so I trust her. Tomorrow will be day 7 and she said her fever should be gone by then. She did say to keep an eye on that after tomorrow and if my DH still has a fever that is not getting better I should come back in so she can check her lungs again. As of yesterday they were clear. She started today with a fever at 101, but as of right now (7:30pm) it is normal! She has been eating more today and seems better, but is still coughing so I will continue to watch that.

I really don't expect I will get my money back from that Urgent Aid, but I needed my voice to be heard. Maybe it will help another family.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:33 PM

9,437 posts, read 2,559,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
OP,
Are you really planning to discontinue the antibiotics?
I think the course for antibiotics has to be completed once you start taking them?

I did discontinue the antibiotics. Her pediatrician told me there was no reason for her to take them at this time and it's not good to take antibiotics "just in case". That's part of the reason why these super bugs are resistant to antibiotics. Too much over use and doctors prescribing them for no reason.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:30 PM

445 posts, read 226,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Hi all!

My 12 yr old daughter started feeling ill late Sunday night. She was achy and had a headache. Monday same. Tuesday morning she woke me up early saying she was seeing spots and nothing else. I sat her down and got her water. I then took her temp and it was 104. I brought her right away to one of those Urgent Aid clinics and the doctor said she had Strep. He didn't swab her for it because he said her throat looked nasty. He prescribed Cefdinar (an antibiotic) for 10 days. He also stated everything else looked good and sent us on our way. Wednesday and Thursday go by and her fever stayed at about 102. It would come down with Mortrin and Tylenol, but never broke.

Today fever was still around 101, so I took her to see her pediatrician and she tested her for both Strep and the Flu. Strep came back negative and Flu was positive! She said to discontinue the antibiotics immediately (which she already took for 3 days now) and unfortunately we just need to wait it out and watch out for pneumonia (as she does have a cough now too). Had the other doctor caught it, she could have taken Tamiflu which would have helped her get over it sooner!

I'm so mad! Not only has this ruined my daughters entire Spring break this week, but the poor girl is miserable! I mean, kids are dying from the flu!! I also sent an email to the director of the Urgent Aid clinic letting them know what happened and demanding they waive whatever my bill will be and the $55 for the antibiotics! Would you have done that or would you have let it go and never gone back there?
My takeaway:
The CDC recommends Tamiflu for >65 yo, <5 yo or immunodeficient. You daughter didnít need Tamiflu.
Your daughter had a 50% chance of Strep by Centor score, but still should have been tested before treatment. Cefdinir overkill for strep. Cheap generic antibiotic would have been fine. Was her regular doctor not available for the first visit? Visit to an ER instead of urgent care would have run you at least $500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or