U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 10:14 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,074,965 times

Advertisements

While I agree that your daughter did not get good treatment at the urgent care, know that 3 days of Cefdinir is not likely to have harmed her in any way, and that Tamiflu is largely ineffective, and has unpleasant side effects.

So now you know. No antibiotics for strep throat without a positive strep test, and Tamiflu is not worth the expense or side effects, in most cases. Probably only worth it in vulnerable populations, such as people who have asthma.

Let it go. Next time, call your pediatrician first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 07:21 AM

41,935 posts, read 48,345,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
Sometimes Pharyngitis is treated presumptively with antibiotics if it is "looks bad" like you said ie. maybe pus and/or exudate.

So if a rapid strep had been done and came back negative antibiotics may have been warranted by clinical exam anyway?

I think whether you file a complaint or just feedback to the clinic hopefully the Provider who saw your daughter can learn from the experience.
Yup. Not to mention there are plenty of NEGATIVE strep tests that are subsequently sent for culture and come back positive. Then would you be mad she went three days WITHOUT antibiotics based on a test that is known to sometimes be unreliable?

Until late in this flu season, your daughter would not have fit the CDC recommended group of people to get Tamiflu anyway. Part of the reason they are now in the last couple of months recommending it is to curb the spread.

And all this media hysteria of people dying is just that. Hysteria. Yes. Some young people died of flu. This happens every single year. More kids died in the 2014-15 season and people are all freaked out by this season thanks to the media. Great.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:49 AM

10,033 posts, read 2,873,487 times
My daughters fever broke last night! Its been one week since the onset of symptoms. Shes still coughing so I need to keep an eye on that, but shes acting more like herself today!

Happy Easter!

Old 04-01-2018, 08:12 AM

7,970 posts, read 4,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My 12 yr old daughter started feeling ill late Sunday night.<>Had the other doctor caught it, she could have taken Tamiflu which would have helped her get over it sooner!
I'm so mad! Not only has this ruined my daughters entire Spring break this week, but the poor girl is miserable! I mean, kids are dying from the flu!!<>
Yes! They missed Spring break, too.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:16 AM

3,850 posts, read 1,237,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I suffered a fall a couple of years ago and went to UC based in my home clinic. Since I hit my head they sent me to the ER due to my age. They cat scanned my head, xrayed my wrist and my knee. I thought they were getting a picture of my hand. It had turned blackish purple. I went back later and got a copy of the xray and saw that it was my wrist and not my hand. It had continued to hurt. When I saw my reg. doctor a while later, I mentioned my hand still hurting and could I get an xray. They called me next day and said they didn't see anything with the hand on the xray.

A year later I was having increased pain in my knuckle and sought out a hand doctor/surgeon, supposed to be the best in central Florida. (The pain had been there before the fall). He asked me had I had a trauma to the hand in the last year or so. I said I fell a few months back. Why ? He said I had broken the hand in the fall and he showed me the fracture........ When I mentioned this to my reg. doctor he said, "well, we all make mistakes......". Of course, he knows I don't trust any doctor.
Yep. A family friend had been experiencing a lot of symptoms and went through rigorous amounts of testing, changed her diet, different drugs, they couldn't find everything. After a year of this with no relief of symptoms, she changed medical teams and had a new bout of testing done.

She had a large brain tumor.

When they went back to all her previous testing, it was clear as day on the INITIAL SCANS. The radiologist missed it.

She spent almost a year untreated for it. They had to do emergency surgery, clipped her brain and she ended up in a wheelchair, motor dysfunction and speech impaired.

So yes, doctors make mistakes. All the time.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 4,999,543 times
I just posted in Alt Med here about bring down fevers naturally. I was raised when home remedies were what our mothers used on us. We didn't run to doctors for everything, including fevers. For one thing there were not the doctors in the numbers today nor the population today....nor the huge insurance costs and major deductibles....sure is a changed world.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-01-2018 at 10:59 AM..

Old 04-01-2018, 12:57 PM

10,033 posts, read 2,873,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Yes! They missed Spring break, too.

I hope you weren't being sarcastic?

Yes, my daughter was sick her entire spring break and that's terrible! I also referenced that kids are dying from the flu! I wasn't trying to down play how horrible it was that these children lost their lives and my daughter only missed Spring break, if that's what you were insinuating? I would hope that's not the case!

Old 04-01-2018, 06:17 PM

83,532 posts, read 96,584,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Tamiflu is controversial. It works in a few cases, but not most. Actually works best if taken before the symptoms even start. Nice drug, but needs work.

What bugs me is that there were no swabs for strep at the acute care clinic. You brought her there, and from what you describe, that would be the "standard of care." If she wound up having Strep, and subsequently developed rheumatic fever (rare these days) you'd have lawsuit.

Otherwise, sounds just like flu. Lots of rest TLC, she'll get over it.

If anything, you overreacted; but then again, 50 years ago you routinely visited the "doctor's office" with a sick kid. These are different days.

Tamiflu is not controversial. It's not prescribed unless one has flu or has been exposed to it. I don't think the OP over-reacted. Actually, 50 years ago people didn't take their kids to the doctor as much because the doctors couldn't do as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
My takeaway:
The CDC recommends Tamiflu for >65 yo, <5 yo or immunodeficient. You daughter didnt need Tamiflu.
Your daughter had a 50% chance of Strep by Centor score, but still should have been tested before treatment. Cefdinir overkill for strep. Cheap generic antibiotic would have been fine. Was her regular doctor not available for the first visit? Visit to an ER instead of urgent care would have run you at least $500.
Tamilfu is recommended for treatment of flu in anyone of any age, and in chemprophylaxis of flu for people age 3 months and older.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professional...clinicians.htm

Cefdinir is not overkill for strep.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/cefdinir

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yup. Not to mention there are plenty of NEGATIVE strep tests that are subsequently sent for culture and come back positive. Then would you be mad she went three days WITHOUT antibiotics based on a test that is known to sometimes be unreliable?

Until late in this flu season, your daughter would not have fit the CDC recommended group of people to get Tamiflu anyway. Part of the reason they are now in the last couple of months recommending it is to curb the spread.

And all this media hysteria of people dying is just that. Hysteria. Yes. Some young people died of flu. This happens every single year. More kids died in the 2014-15 season and people are all freaked out by this season thanks to the media. Great.
Agree about the strep tests. The one my old office used was about 95% accurate for a negative reading, meaning that 5% of negative tests sent for culture were actually positive. To people who don't understand math (not you, I know) that doesn't sound like many, but it's really a lot. That why we sent them.

While I think the media coverage of this flu season has been awful, I disagree that the reporting of flu deaths in kids is "hysteria". So far there have been 137 known pediatric flu deaths and the flu season is not over yet. The 2014-15 flu season had 148 deaths, total. I would be surprised if this season doesn't at least match that. Granted this is not a large number of deaths, percentagewise, but the very vast majority are preventable. Most years, about 80% of the kids who die were not vaccinated and about 45% have no other risk factors for flu. Being under age 2 is a risk factor regardless of otherwise good health, so there's that, too.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:42 PM

524 posts, read 271,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Tamiflu is not controversial. It's not prescribed unless one has flu or has been exposed to it. I don't think the OP over-reacted. Actually, 50 years ago people didn't take their kids to the doctor as much because the doctors couldn't do as much.

Tamilfu is recommended for treatment of flu in anyone of any age, and in chemprophylaxis of flu for people age 3 months and older.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professional...clinicians.htm

Cefdinir is not overkill for strep.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/cefdinir

Agree about the strep tests. The one my old office used was about 95% accurate for a negative reading, meaning that 5% of negative tests sent for culture were actually positive. To people who don't understand math (not you, I know) that doesn't sound like many, but it's really a lot. That why we sent them.

While I think the media coverage of this flu season has been awful, I disagree that the reporting of flu deaths in kids is "hysteria". So far there have been 137 known pediatric flu deaths and the flu season is not over yet. The 2014-15 flu season had 148 deaths, total. I would be surprised if this season doesn't at least match that. Granted this is not a large number of deaths, percentagewise, but the very vast majority are preventable. Most years, about 80% of the kids who die were not vaccinated and about 45% have no other risk factors for flu. Being under age 2 is a risk factor regardless of otherwise good health, so there's that, too.
You’ve explained why Health care is so expensive. Give a $55 drug for strep when a $4 drug would work, and give a mostly useless $150 drug for a simple viral infection.
Btw, Reread you reference. Tamiflu is not “recommended “. It CAN be given.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:44 PM

524 posts, read 271,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My daughters fever broke last night! Its been one week since the onset of symptoms. Shes still coughing so I need to keep an eye on that, but shes acting more like herself today!

Happy Easter!
Nice to hear shes feeling better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness