U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 08:12 PM

84,690 posts, read 98,182,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
You’ve explained why Health care is so expensive. Give a $55 drug for strep when a $4 drug would work, and give a mostly useless $150 drug for a simple viral infection.
Btw, Reread you reference. Tamiflu is not “recommended “. It CAN be given.
How do you know a $4 drug would work as well? Maybe the doctor was familiar with the strep going around his/her area.

Nothing in that link to support what you said "The CDC recommends Tamiflu for >65 yo, <5 yo or immunodeficient" if by that you mean, as you seem to be implying, those are the only recommendations. In fact, there are many and clinical judgement is necessary, as the link says "Clinical judgment, on the basis of the patient’s disease severity and progression, age, underlying medical conditions, likelihood of influenza, and time since onset of symptoms, is important when making antiviral treatment decisions for high-risk outpatients . . .Antiviral treatment also can be considered for any previously healthy, symptomatic outpatient not at high risk with confirmed or suspected influenza on the basis of clinical judgment, if treatment can be initiated within 48 hours of illness onset. Multiple randomized controlled clinical trials (RCTs) and meta-analyses of RCTs have demonstrated efficacy of early initiation of treatment (started within 48 hours of illness onset) with neuraminidase inhibitors in reducing duration of fever and illness symptoms compared with placebo in otherwise healthy children and adults with uncomplicated influenza (Hayden, 1997; Monto, 1999; Monto, 1999; Nicholson, 2000; Hedrick, 2000; Treanor, 2000; Whitley, 2001; Heinonen, 2010; Fry, 2014; Whitley, 2015; Kohno, 2010; Hsu, 2012; Jefferson, 2014; Whitley, 2015;, Dobson, 2015; Malosh, 2017).
One randomized clinical trial in children with uncomplicated influenza demonstrated a modest reduction in duration of symptoms and influenza virus shedding in patients initiating treatment after 48 hours; post hoc analysis suggested that treatment initiated 72 hours after illness onset reduced symptoms by one day compared with placebo (Fry, 2014)."

Emphasis mine. Govt. link, may copy more than 3 sentences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 04:38 AM

11,127 posts, read 7,931,134 times
Sue...

Old 04-02-2018, 07:18 AM

21,227 posts, read 25,731,636 times
Quote:
You’ve explained why Health care is so expensive. Give a $55 drug for strep when a $4 drug would work, and give a mostly useless $150 drug for a simple viral infection.
Btw, Reread you reference. Tamiflu is not “recommended “. It CAN be given.
A cephalosporin is an option for strep if the patient is allergic to penicillin or amoxicillin. With a GoodRx coupon, Cefdinar could have been as little as $20 and generic Tamiflu about $50. Walmart does have one cephalosporin on its $4 list.

As Stan mentioned above, Tamiflu can help reduce spread of flu, so treating with it is an option, as is treating other family members before they show symptoms.

For some families having various members get sick serially can be financially stressful if a caregiver has to miss work.

Influenza is not "a simple viral infection". It sends a lot of people to the hospital.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:38 AM

3,883 posts, read 1,704,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My daughters fever broke last night! It’s been one week since the onset of symptoms. She’s still coughing so I need to keep an eye on that, but she’s acting more like herself today!

Happy Easter!
Yay!

So many different ideas, thoughts, opinions & even educated perspectives out there; not only do you worry about your kid but you worry about & second guess your own actions.

And it never stops. I still worry about my 32 year old; he doesn't even tell me half the time when something is wrong because he knows I'll turn into "Momzilla" & try to "do" something, God forbid ...

Old 04-02-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Yay!

So many different ideas, thoughts, opinions & even educated perspectives out there; not only do you worry about your kid but you worry about & second guess your own actions.

And it never stops. I still worry about my 32 year old; he doesn't even tell me half the time when something is wrong because he knows I'll turn into "Momzilla" & try to "do" something, God forbid ...
No, it doesn't stop. I still worry about my 34 year old. When I hear that there's going to be snow in the southern suburbs, I worry about her getting to work OK. The other one (younger) lives in Minneapolis; I don't hear their weather forecasts so don't worry about that. But I do worry about other things with her, too.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:00 PM

218 posts, read 417,110 times
I would call a malpractice lawyer.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
For what? Misdiagnoses happen. You can be sure the first doctor has malpractice insurance to protect himself. All these keyboard diagnosticians think they know with 20/20 hindsight exactly what should have been done, but it's seldom so cut and dried. The law works on monetary damages. What would you say the damages for this apparently missed diagnosis are?

I don't think there's anything to do with this situation, now. The child is better, yay!
In the future, don't use that urgent care again.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:18 PM

73 posts, read 23,588 times
Write a complaint to the hospital staff manager and tell them what happened.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:06 PM

10,572 posts, read 3,213,696 times
Quote:
Nice to hear she’s feeling better.

Well, she was feeling better yesterday, but last night into today she now has diarrhea, so she's back to feeling awful. School starts back tomorrow, but I'll probably keep her home until that stops and she's back to herself. Hopefully soon! She has only eaten soup as her tummy hurts and lots of fluids

Old 04-02-2018, 02:12 PM

10,572 posts, read 3,213,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
No, it's not that serious, thank goodness! I started the thread just to see if I over reacted to sending an email to the director of the Urgent Aid. I would like for them to waive my fee however. I typically keep my mouth shut, but taking her to two different doctors not only was a pain for my daughter who didn't feel good, but it also exposed my younger child to germs as I had to bring her with. The money makes me mad of course, but I think it was just the principle of the matter that the Urgent Aid doctor really didn't do anything. I should have known better, but heck I'm not a doctor! Know I know and honestly will never go to one of those places again. I used to go to a different Urgent Aid when we lived in another state and never had a problem. Here it will only be their pediatrician!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness