U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2018, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
9,442 posts, read 2,564,911 times
Reputation: 10597

Advertisements

Hi all!


My 12 yr old daughter started feeling ill late Sunday night. She was achy and had a headache. Monday same. Tuesday morning she woke me up early saying she was seeing spots and nothing else. I sat her down and got her water. I then took her temp and it was 104. I brought her right away to one of those Urgent Aid clinics and the doctor said she had Strep. He didn't swab her for it because he said her throat looked nasty. He prescribed Cefdinar (an antibiotic) for 10 days. He also stated everything else looked good and sent us on our way. Wednesday and Thursday go by and her fever stayed at about 102. It would come down with Mortrin and Tylenol, but never broke.


Today fever was still around 101, so I took her to see her pediatrician and she tested her for both Strep and the Flu. Strep came back negative and Flu was positive! She said to discontinue the antibiotics immediately (which she already took for 3 days now) and unfortunately we just need to wait it out and watch out for pneumonia (as she does have a cough now too). Had the other doctor caught it, she could have taken Tamiflu which would have helped her get over it sooner!


I'm so mad! Not only has this ruined my daughters entire Spring break this week, but the poor girl is miserable! I mean, kids are dying from the flu!! I also sent an email to the director of the Urgent Aid clinic letting them know what happened and demanding they waive whatever my bill will be and the $55 for the antibiotics! Would you have done that or would you have let it go and never gone back there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2018, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Wine Country
4,410 posts, read 5,467,939 times
Reputation: 7061
Do you have an hospital with an emergency room near by? I would go to that over any urgent care. But its too late now. Tamiflu cuts off a few days of the flu, so you are still pretty sick for a significant period of time. Chances are her spring brake would have been pretty much ruined anyway.
It really sucks that your daughter is sick during a time she was looking forward to. I hope she recovers soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
14,430 posts, read 4,371,431 times
Reputation: 9928
OP: I would wait for a response from the Urgent Care and not pay anything and go from there. Sadly this happens often and I'm sorry your little girl went thru this. I don't know if they took your insurance or how the O.V. was paid etc..but you try to do something there. I still have piles of unpaid copays from what I believe was a mis-diagnosis on my knee infection. I don't think they'll see what the insurance didn't pay, and insurance paid plenty all in all. It's a tough battle to win over the medical institutions. They seem to believe they are always right. Best to you and hope things will work out and little one gets better soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
9,442 posts, read 2,564,911 times
Reputation: 10597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Do you have an hospital with an emergency room near by? I would go to that over any urgent care. But its too late now. Tamiflu cuts off a few days of the flu, so you are still pretty sick for a significant period of time. Chances are her spring brake would have been pretty much ruined anyway.
It really sucks that your daughter is sick during a time she was looking forward to. I hope she recovers soon.


Thank you!


I know she still would have symptoms had she taken Tamiflu, but it does reduce them, plus I'm upset about her taking unnecessary antibiotics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
9,442 posts, read 2,564,911 times
Reputation: 10597
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: I would wait for a response from the Urgent Care and not pay anything and go from there. Sadly this happens often and I'm sorry your little girl went thru this. I don't know if they took your insurance or how the O.V. was paid etc..but you try to do something there. I still have piles of unpaid copays from what I believe was a mis-diagnosis on my knee infection. I don't think they'll see what the insurance didn't pay, and insurance paid plenty all in all. It's a tough battle to win over the medical institutions. They seem to believe they are always right. Best to you and hope things will work out and little one gets better soon.


They did take my insurance and I did not have to pay upfront, but we have a HDP and NOTHING is paid until we meet our deductible. That includes prescriptions. So the antibiotic was $55 and if I had to guess the visit will be about $90-$120. I will then get the bill from her pediatrician as well. That I don't mind.


To answer Luckyd.....we do have a hospital with an ER near by, but I would have got a bill for a few thousand I'm sure and she wasn't that bad. I didn't go to her pediatrician originally because it's usually a long wait and I was trying to avoid that. Well, I learned my lesson I suppose!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
14,430 posts, read 4,371,431 times
Reputation: 9928
OP: Sounds like you did what you felt best at the time. I went to U.C. once for a rash on my leg and they were like a stop gap and then I had to go to a dermatologist shortly after that. I don't think they have high specialized doctors at the U.C.'s. But I did learn NOT to scratch my leg or arms as infections can happen.

Often thru our experiences we learn some lessons, I do for sure. They can be pricey but still lessons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 06:31 PM
 
709 posts, read 220,658 times
Reputation: 1552
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Hi all!


My 12 yr old daughter started feeling ill late Sunday night. She was achy and had a headache. Monday same. Tuesday morning she woke me up early saying she was seeing spots and nothing else. I sat her down and got her water. I then took her temp and it was 104. I brought her right away to one of those Urgent Aid clinics and the doctor said she had Strep. He didn't swab her for it because he said her throat looked nasty. He prescribed Cefdinar (an antibiotic) for 10 days. He also stated everything else looked good and sent us on our way. Wednesday and Thursday go by and her fever stayed at about 102. It would come down with Mortrin and Tylenol, but never broke.


Today fever was still around 101, so I took her to see her pediatrician and she tested her for both Strep and the Flu. Strep came back negative and Flu was positive! She said to discontinue the antibiotics immediately (which she already took for 3 days now) and unfortunately we just need to wait it out and watch out for pneumonia (as she does have a cough now too). Had the other doctor caught it, she could have taken Tamiflu which would have helped her get over it sooner!


I'm so mad! Not only has this ruined my daughters entire Spring break this week, but the poor girl is miserable! I mean, kids are dying from the flu!! I also sent an email to the director of the Urgent Aid clinic letting them know what happened and demanding they waive whatever my bill will be and the $55 for the antibiotics! Would you have done that or would you have let it go and never gone back there?
People need to look out for doctors that miss the illness cause. Doctors are people too so mistakes are more common that most people believe. Our family doctor is good at most things but he will push expensive med's on us when they really aren't needed. He will also declare minor body defects as cancer (there's a pattern about with him cancer).He's gotten cancer happy of late. (I'll get a second opinion)

What I'm trying to say is be aware of what your doctor says to you 'cause it's getting tough to make a living as a doctor with all the many changes in medicine and billing today. Some of the doctors are some where between making a living and going broke being a good doctor. Some doctors gave up and are now in it for the money.

Don't blindly follow what your doctor says to do. Check it out.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 06:40 PM
 
228 posts, read 61,590 times
Reputation: 254
I am glad that your daughter has recovered now. It must have been a terrible week for both her and you. At least, you can resort to a written complaint.

I had a bad rash on my limbs that lasted a little over two months. The doctor at the walk-in clinic thought it was Strep; my family doctor thought it suspicious and referred me to a specialist. None of them prescribed any antibiotics. The specialist told me to take Advil 3x a day, and I had multiple lab tests for the last three months. Those lab results are not good. .. I'm getting really anxious waiting for my appointment with another specialist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
9,442 posts, read 2,564,911 times
Reputation: 10597
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
I am glad that your daughter has recovered now. It must have been a terrible week for both her and you. At least, you can resort to a written complaint.

I had a bad rash on my limbs that lasted a little over two months. The doctor at the walk-in clinic thought it was Strep; my family doctor thought it suspicious and referred me to a specialist. None of them prescribed any antibiotics. The specialist told me to take Advil 3x a day, and I had multiple lab tests for the last three months. Those lab results are not good. .. I'm getting really anxious waiting for my appointment with another specialist.


She's not in the clear yet. She still has a low grade fever and she's now coughing. Her doctor said we need to keep an eye on the cough. Her lungs are clear, but it could easily turn into pneumonia.


I really wish I would have insisted on a swab for the Strep test, but you live and learn and I just have to wish for a speedy recovery for her! I also have a younger daughter and the pediatrician said if there is any sign that she has the flu I can just call and she will prescribe her Tamiflu so I don't need to bring her in. Hopefully she won't get it. Of course, we all could as the rest of us have not had it at all this year.


And before someone asks.....NO, none of us got the flu shot this year! I know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Alaska
133 posts, read 50,016 times
Reputation: 527
Sometimes Pharyngitis is treated presumptively with antibiotics if it is "looks bad" like you said ie. maybe pus and/or exudate.


So if a rapid strep had been done and came back negative antibiotics may have been warranted by clinical exam anyway?


I think whether you file a complaint or just feedback to the clinic hopefully the Provider who saw your daughter can learn from the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top