Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2018, 12:54 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times

Advertisements

I took a senior fitness test this week at the local Senior center. It was designed for people 60 - 95 and your results are then compared to 7000 older adults who were tested. It compares your results to those of your age group. You fall into below average, normal range or above average. Above average is any score over 75%.

One of the six test items was a back scratch test where you put one hand over your shoulder and the other behind your back and try to touch one hand with the other hand to rate your shoulder flexibility.

This was supposed to be the most difficult of the 6 tests. I thought it was the easiest of the 6 tests. It is scored the number of inches +/- between your fingertips. I easily overlapped my fingers by 3 inches. Their charts didn't even go that high. They stopped at 1" overlap. So on that test they scored me at 100% plus.

So, if you do not suffer from a shoulder injury - how flexible is the average individual? At what age does shoulder flexibility normally start to decline? Is the decline in shoulder flexibility associated mainly with people over 60 or is it seen in younger individuals as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 02:29 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
I think it is a somewhat meaningless test. A person can be flexible in the shoulders but not flexible anywhere else, and vice versa. People can also have anatomical quirks that make the shoulder test either very easy, or almost impossible.

I was a gymnastics coach from my mid-teens until the age of 29. I stretched multiple times a day and was very, very flexible--could do full splits in both directions, backbends, etc. etc. We did that shoulder exercise as part of our warmup routine, and at my best I could just touch my fingertips together. I would never have been able to overlap by 3" no matter what. There was nothing in the least wrong with my flexibility, touching fingertips was just my personal limit in that regard.

I can also add that from my observation, some young children can easily grasp their fingers together, while others can not. It's not the case that this stretch is easy for all young people.

So while it's very nice that you have that shoulder flexibility, I honestly don't think it necessarily means much in terms of either overall flexibility or health.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:02 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post

So, if you do not suffer from a shoulder injury - how flexible is the average individual? At what age does shoulder flexibility normally start to decline? Is the decline in shoulder flexibility associated mainly with people over 60 or is it seen in younger individuals as well?
Are you referring to the Fullerton Functional Fitness Test? If so, the shoulder flexibility test is meant to be considered along with all the other tests too, not by itself, but you already know that.

As for your questions. In my late 60s, in the shoulder flexibility test, I can completely overlap my fingers on both left and right sides. I do know young people who can't touch their hands behind their back, so I don't think that alone is an age-related problem, but if considered along with the rest of the tests, I'm sure it would indicate a flexibility issue in age.

Another test I like to make sure I can do is the one where you sit on the floor and get up without using your hands. I practice that all the time.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:35 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think it is a somewhat meaningless test. A person can be flexible in the shoulders but not flexible anywhere else, and vice versa. People can also have anatomical quirks that make the shoulder test either very easy, or almost impossible.

I was a gymnastics coach from my mid-teens until the age of 29. I stretched multiple times a day and was very, very flexible--could do full splits in both directions, backbends, etc. etc. We did that shoulder exercise as part of our warmup routine, and at my best I could just touch my fingertips together. I would never have been able to overlap by 3" no matter what. There was nothing in the least wrong with my flexibility, touching fingertips was just my personal limit in that regard.

I can also add that from my observation, some young children can easily grasp their fingers together, while others can not. It's not the case that this stretch is easy for all young people.

So while it's very nice that you have that shoulder flexibility, I honestly don't think it necessarily means much in terms of either overall flexibility or health.
A good way to view this. When I was in grade school we went through those Presidential Fitness batteries every year. Had to score above some artificially-averaged level to be considered "fit" using tests such as the classic sit-up, push up, pull up, distance running, agility sprints, etc. Normally had no trouble with fitness, being active, and enjoying most sports. Except for that classic curl sit-up. Couldn't do enough fast enough no matter how fit I was. Just didn't "curl" the way they wanted. The teacher would stand over me screaming, making me repeat the series over and over again. Didn't make a bit of difference. Every year they'd hand out little certificates branding those with good scores as "fit". But I had the privilege of a lecture every single year all because I couldn't achieve the right number of stupid sit-ups.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:41 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Are you referring to the Fullerton Functional Fitness Test? If so, the shoulder flexibility test is meant to be considered along with all the other tests too, not by itself, but you already know that.

As for your questions. In my late 60s, in the shoulder flexibility test, I can completely overlap my fingers on both left and right sides. I do know young people who can't touch their hands behind their back, so I don't think that alone is an age-related problem, but if considered along with the rest of the tests, I'm sure it would indicate a flexibility issue in age.

Another test I like to make sure I can do is the one where you sit on the floor and get up without using your hands. I practice that all the time.

Yes, it was part of the Fullerton test. The goal was to average 80% overall for the 6 tests and I averaged 85% - so I am happy with my results. I was just really surprised that they considered this particular test difficult.

I also find the sit/rise test you reference was easy to do - once I began working on improving my balance.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:19 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
A good way to view this. When I was in grade school we went through those Presidential Fitness batteries every year. Had to score above some artificially-averaged level to be considered "fit" using tests such as the classic sit-up, push up, pull up, distance running, agility sprints, etc. Normally had no trouble with fitness, being active, and enjoying most sports. Except for that classic curl sit-up. Couldn't do enough fast enough no matter how fit I was. Just didn't "curl" the way they wanted. The teacher would stand over me screaming, making me repeat the series over and over again. Didn't make a bit of difference. Every year they'd hand out little certificates branding those with good scores as "fit". But I had the privilege of a lecture every single year all because I couldn't achieve the right number of stupid sit-ups.
In elementary, I could do them all except the mile run in the time specified. I never got the certificate either.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:03 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
This was supposed to be the most difficult of the 6 tests. I thought it was the easiest of the 6 tests. It is scored the number of inches +/- between your fingertips. I easily overlapped my fingers by 3 inches. Their charts didn't even go that high. They stopped at 1" overlap. So on that test they scored me at 100% plus.

And if a person had a long history of power lifting and/or bodybuilding featuring heavy deltoid and back work, those fingertips might not get to within 12" of each other yet still not disrupt that person's quality of life.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:23 PM

674 posts, read 608,241 times
Physical therapist here. We are all snowflakes, in the good sense of the word. So your questions (how flexible is the average individual? At what age does shoulder flexibility normally start to decline? Is the decline in shoulder flexibility associated mainly with people over 60 or is it seen in younger individuals as well?) have an infinite number of answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness