U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:15 PM

7,283 posts, read 17,240,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
I am 47, and in pretty good shape. I work out, walk, do cardio work, etc.

Recently (maybe in the past year) I have had bouts of leg cramps at night. They are in my lower leg - calf and/or muscle that runs down the outside of the calf. I cannot shake them. If I flex one way, the main calf muscle hurts. If I flex back the other way, the side muscle locks up.

The only way I have been able to get rid of them is to stand up and bear weight on my leg. Most of the cramps are in the leg that I had ACL surgery on in 2001. I have had no residual issue with my knee since the surgery, and I never had these cramps before they began off and on this year.

Any insight? All I have ever heard is "Eat bananas!" (for potassium)

Help!
If your cramps have to do with restless leg syndrome, eat one of those packets of mustard you get in a restaurant or a teaspoon of jar mustard in the refrigerator.
I haven't tried this but I was in a conversation the other day and one person was talking to the other person about this. Sounds gross but if it works, nothing lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 07:47 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,828,704 times
always heard that the cramping is do to low potassium levels ( people who drink alcohol also get leg cramps since they deplete the mineral) Bananas are good but better absorbed first thing in the morning, also orange juice is full of potassium as well a V-8 though you might want to try the low sodium kind since the regular is high in salt. Try two glasses of each a day and see if that helps.
PS : I get the cramps as well including my toes which wakes me out of a sound sleep!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:51 PM

16,225 posts, read 22,593,544 times
Glad to hear that you are feeling better.
I used to get the hibbie jibbies in my legs. I couldn`t leave them still.
I finally found out that if I get up and stretch my legs out, it helps.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:56 PM

28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
I have them as a result of Polio when I was 4. I came out if it okay, but have some residual problems.

Water and potassium seem to work for me. Now if I could just get rid of RLS.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:12 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,240,641 times
Well, this might be a bit controversial, but when I had leg cramps I had a glass of Red Wine!! It soon sorted those leg cramps out! Red Wine is good for the circulation, it's like drain cleaner for me - sorting the circulation out. Every time, I have had leg cramps I have had Red wine and the problem has been sorted - no leg cramps for ages. White wine won't do it, it has to be RED!!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:20 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,894,356 times
Sounds much more appealing that the bananas jennaflorrie!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:54 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,981,228 times
If you ever feel one coming on, immediately stretch it. I've read it does damage to the muscles which could take three days to heal. I agree that stretching before going to bed might be a good idea, or maybe a warm bath. Make sure you're not dehydrated.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 12,796 times
Default You would be surprised at what might help you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
I am 47, and in pretty good shape. I work out, walk, do cardio work, etc.

Recently (maybe in the past year) I have had bouts of leg cramps at night. They are in my lower leg - calf and/or muscle that runs down the outside of the calf. I cannot shake them. If I flex one way, the main calf muscle hurts. If I flex back the other way, the side muscle locks up.

The only way I have been able to get rid of them is to stand up and bear weight on my leg. Most of the cramps are in the leg that I had ACL surgery on in 2001. I have had no residual issue with my knee since the surgery, and I never had these cramps before they began off and on this year.

Any insight? All I have ever heard is "Eat bananas!" (for potassium)

Help!
I have found help for night cramps in my feet or my calfs where ever they decide to strike. First of all put a bar of any kind of soap under your fitted sheet, that will most likely end your problems right there! It did for me. I began cramping earlier while at my desk at night and just toughed it out, Then the other day I broke down and bought a box of sunset blush wine and had two small glasses before bed- no cramps and slept great It also helps my daughters restless leg syndrome. We do take vitamins and calcium.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:14 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,056,230 times
Read this post and was going to say "Eat Bananas" but I think someone beat me to it!

Old 05-09-2009, 11:21 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,783,065 times
I don't have time to go through the entire thread but incase no one's said it, eat a banana or avacado (the higher of the two) a day for potassium. If that doesn't fix it, have your potassium checked by your doctor. Low potassium (hypokalemia) can be dangerous, even deadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness