U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 11:31 PM

830 posts, read 865,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
I am 47, and in pretty good shape. I work out, walk, do cardio work, etc.

Recently (maybe in the past year) I have had bouts of leg cramps at night. They are in my lower leg - calf and/or muscle that runs down the outside of the calf. I cannot shake them. If I flex one way, the main calf muscle hurts. If I flex back the other way, the side muscle locks up.

The only way I have been able to get rid of them is to stand up and bear weight on my leg. Most of the cramps are in the leg that I had ACL surgery on in 2001. I have had no residual issue with my knee since the surgery, and I never had these cramps before they began off and on this year.

Any insight? All I have ever heard is "Eat bananas!" (for potassium)

Help!
Has anyone told you magnesium yet? Americans eat too much dairy and therefore the extra calcium needs magnesium in order to do it's stuff. Calcium is powerful and if the body doesn't have enough magnesium from food or supplements it will rob your bones and organs to get the magnesium. I think the cramps come out at night when the body is still.

What is great is a produce called "CALM" it's warm, tasty and helps put you to sleep and is magnesium. I love it! BTW, I am no doctor, I just read a lot about health and if something feels right I will try it out. I get really good results using magnesium.

Hope this helps you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 02:20 AM

1 posts, read 5,388 times
I've had the same problem. I have problems with both of my knees. When I was 17, I was meniscal, and ACL surgery on my right knee, but before I had my surgery, I would have DAILY, EXCRUCIATING leg cramps in my lower right leg. After I had my surgery, they all went away. I'm pretty sure that my left knee's ACL is now tore, and I just woke up from a really bad leg cramp, once again. I however, don't plan on getting my ACL fixed because I don't have time to waste for rehab.

The surgeion told me that with an ACL tear, it causes you to walk differently, which causes your muscles to react differently as well. It's only when you're resting that your body is able to make up for the slight, and temporary damage that you do while walking with a torn ACL.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:07 AM

739 posts, read 2,023,681 times
when my leg does that I take one hand and mash on it really hard where it hurts then grab my toes and pull them up towards my knee. It works because I had a cramp in my chest my arm drawed up so I took my thumb and mashed down about 2" into it and it stopped.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,971 times
Default I also get leg cramps after ACL surgery.

Hi - I also get major leg cramp since my ACL surgery 3 years ago. It comes mostly at night, which could be a result of the muscles settling after being up and down on my knees all day(i'm a sparky). I must confess, after the surgery i was at the gym working out a lot( was wanting to play football again), but now have resigned myself to the fact that i won't be able to play again and have stopped training. My leg has become very weak and the cramp happens in my inner thigh and my upper hamstring at the back of leg.(This is where they took the tissue from to replace my cruciate ligament. This remedy may seem a bit hard to take but i pour salt into my hand and eat it, flushing down with water. I suppose mixing a table spoonful of salt into a glass of water and drinking it would do the same, although, by getting the salt onto your tongue, it enters the blood stream quicker than if you take in water. It has always worked - the pain almost subsides immediatelty. Cramp can often be from a lack of salt(my mother always told me this).
Hope this helps.
Derek

Last edited by derekm1973; 01-26-2012 at 04:26 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,790 times
Default dannymarie512

My ferocious nighttime leg cramps have come on me only recently and only when I drink large amounts of orange or lemon juice or very fruity smoothie or a couple beers shortly before bedtime. These leg cramps are not at all like a charley horse which is painful but nowhere near as bad as the other. With the other, my calves get almost twisted out of shape and even after walking around for several minutes with most of the cramp gone, it is likely to start again if I lie down too soon.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:26 AM

706 posts, read 1,806,996 times
I've had leg and foot cramps all my life, so has my mother and sister. Mine stopped immediately when I started sleeping on the floor.

My theory: When sleeping on a bed, the bedcovers hung over the side, with gravity pulling on them, creating weight on my feet and legs. My leg and foot muscles are constantly fighting that weight. When sleeping on the floor, there is still the weight of the covers, but no longer the extra outward and downsard pull of the covers hanging over the side.

Even the height of a standard matress on the floor would create a significant downward pull on the sides. I sleep on just a folded blanket on a carpeted floor, so the edges of the covering are the same level as my feet. It felt pretty hard and firm for the first few nights, but one quickly gets used to it and finds a posture that make's sleep comfortable.

If you don't want to do that, then try pinching your upper lip. Your upper lip is the acupuncture point for lower extremity cramps. Pinch your upper lip hard. Or put a spring clothespin on it.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,265 times
Ms Boops,

I have suffered with leg cramps for approx. four years. I swim and sometimes still have to monitor and time my distance and cut it short due to overly exerted my muscles. My remedy is in the morning I make a healthy banana shake, for potassium. Sometimes I take over the counter medication called (leg cramps) which work's pretty well. At night before I go to bed or with dinner, I sometimes drink tonic water with quinine. If you are a diabetic, and monitoring your sugar intake, try purchasing the diet one. It does have an un-pleasant taste, to relieve these horrific cramps, you will not mind the taste.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,191 times
I have horrible leg cramps when I drink white wine, what is this. They are so bad I actually cry.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:33 PM

6,269 posts, read 18,886,732 times
Do you like mustard? Try eating the contents of one of those fast food packets! It has magnesium in it and I hear it works. Can't hurt to try!

Old 01-11-2015, 01:23 PM

17,486 posts, read 20,916,643 times
Yes mustard works. I have tried it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness