U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 07:23 PM

4,899 posts, read 2,722,473 times

Advertisements

Hyland's Leg Cramps | Hyland's Homeopathic

They also make a product called "restful leg" if you get twitches or have RLS. It WORKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 02:04 AM

14,790 posts, read 14,053,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I've read that many people say calcium and magnesium. I may try that. I have a follow up with my doctor tomorrow. I'm wondering about the residual tenderness and pain. Here it is a week later and I can't let the calf touch anything when in bed for example. I have to lie with my leg bent and calf facing up.
Magnesium should help

Old 09-21-2015, 05:36 AM

8,121 posts, read 12,689,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Magnesium should help
My wife picked some up for me yesterday. The bottle says to ask the doctor first if taking prescriptions, so I'll do that.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:42 AM

4,641 posts, read 5,374,355 times
I'm chimming in having just had the worst calf cramps of my life . First was waken up with right calf severe cramp pain. Nothing helped. It receded after maybe 10 minutes. Then a few mintues later, identical (or should I say, symmetrical) cramps on left calf. Same area (front of upper calf), same degree of pain, exactly the same nature. WTF?? Could be that it's a cool night and my legs or feet were not warm enough? But that surely wasn't the first time, yet only this time I got them.

I'm more intrigued by the fact that the two calves had identical cramps one after another within minutes than by the cramps themselves. I had never had such bad cramp before, yet left cramps just after the right relieved?

My question to others: did it happen to you in warm/hot summer day, or only cool days? I really suspect the cold temperature has to do with it in my case.

As for potasium, it could be a myth, because, on the contrary, whenever I had cramps on feet or calves, I recall having eaten bananas a couple hours before, or (in today's case) a day before.

Wonder how long the cramp could last if nothing is done? Does it always resolve by itself?

Old 09-22-2015, 09:21 PM

8,795 posts, read 7,710,113 times
Absolutely the first thing you should do is drink more water. Its quite possible you're simply dehydrated. I used to get terrible leg pains from just getting dehydrated.

My wife also had this problem and we both started with L-Arginine. Its a perfectly safe Amino acid, that will help circulation. Try some pills for awhile, and see what happens. My wifes leg pains disappeared. If you'd like to know more about this amazing substance, check out some videos on YouTube. Dr. Louis Ignarro won a Nobel prize for his research on Nitric Oxide, L-Arginine, and the benefits of improved circulation that help the entire body. You could also check out his book "No more heart attacks."

Old 09-22-2015, 09:34 PM

4,641 posts, read 5,374,355 times
Thanks. Most of the posts talk about how to prevent or reduce the chance of cramps in future. What about how to deal with it while you are having cramps? How to make it go away? I tried massaging but it didn't help, sometimes even seemed to worsen it--my foot almost became a hook on the leg.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:06 PM

8,121 posts, read 12,689,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Magnesium should help
I asked my doctor and she said that magnesium won't matter in my case because she believes the cramps are cause by my chronic DVT (clot).

I hate that it is still almost as sore as it was over a week ago. She said she'd write a prescription for Tylenol 3. (I think that's what she said it was.)

Old 09-23-2015, 09:37 PM

11,861 posts, read 15,511,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Thanks. Most of the posts talk about how to prevent or reduce the chance of cramps in future. What about how to deal with it while you are having cramps? How to make it go away? I tried massaging but it didn't help, sometimes even seemed to worsen it--my foot almost became a hook on the leg.
For me it's moving the muscle- stretching it out fast and holding a stretch.. It happens to me maybe twice a year, and it does help me quite a bit. I can usually catch it before it goes into that dreaded 'ball of fury' stage, lol.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:58 PM

19,846 posts, read 18,867,840 times
My husband is helped by magnesium glycinate and a good form of zinc (not cheap drug store zinc oxide.) Potassium doesn't help everyone, only those people who need it.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:08 PM

4 posts, read 285 times
I use a device I found at stopacramp.com it has worked for me for the last four years. Leg cramps are mainly due to neurological reasons and not lack potassium or magnesium. They have done lots of studies on leg cramps and don't know why they happened because they have been barking up the wrong tree. I get a kick out of what they call those cramps they named them idiopathic meaning they occur without a causative reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness