Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:27 PM

17,379 posts, read 13,133,321 times

Advertisements

MrsM swears by pickle juice

She says a mouthful and the leg cramps go away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 03:33 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,499,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Do you like mustard? Try eating the contents of one of those fast food packets! It has magnesium in it and I hear it works. Can't hurt to try!
Ugh, it's MUCH easier and more pleasant to just take a Magnesium supplement every day. You get them at any pharmacy. No taste, just swallow.

Works for me. I take one every night.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:03 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,981,653 times
For me it was magnesium. 2 per week. Any more and I got palpitations. Listen to your body. For other people it may be another supplement that does the trick.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:29 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,196,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
MrsM swears by pickle juice

She says a mouthful and the leg cramps go away
I don't have leg cramps as frequently as I have toe cramps, but I will second taking a good swig of pickle juice. Every time I empty a jar of dill pickles, I keep the jar with the juice. For freshness, when the next batch of pickles have been eaten, that becomes the current jar of "medicinal" juice.

I don't know why it works – and it works pretty quickly – whether it's electrolytes or a placebo effect, but so far, pickle juice hasn't let me down. Next time cramps happen, I'll be limping my way to the refrigerator pronto.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:19 PM

26,645 posts, read 28,492,831 times
If it's not magnesium or potassium, it is probably zinc. My husband uses zinc--zinc oxide tablets from the drug store work ok but zinc picolinate works better if you can find some, usually in a health food store.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:48 PM

22,601 posts, read 24,418,850 times
Try developing a regular stretching routine.............I have done so and it has helped a lot
with my leg-cramps.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 547 times
There is a good video about leg cramps and the studies that have been done. The video is called "The Stopacramp story quoted medical studies" a lot of useful information there, it was the answer to my leg cramps problem.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:52 PM

6 posts, read 2,389 times
Default Zinc or magnesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If it's not magnesium or potassium, it is probably zinc. My husband uses zinc--zinc oxide tablets from the drug store work ok but zinc picolinate works better if you can find some, usually in a health food store.
I've read research about potassium and magnesium researchers found a placebo worked just as well. When any of you try these things does it keep your cramps away 100% of the time or do you still get the odd cramp? I think the best one I heard was this woman said her Grandfather put a cork under his pillow to keep cramps away. I've had total relief from severe leg cramps for the last six years and it has nothing to do with anything missing in my system, it's actually caused from our bodies sensors for balance and footing. I wear this strap that lines up my toes. This thing stops a cramp within thirty seconds of when it starts or if you do like I do and wear it full time a leg or foot cramp never develops.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:02 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,545,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
I am 47, and in pretty good shape. I work out, walk, do cardio work, etc.

Recently (maybe in the past year) I have had bouts of leg cramps at night. They are in my lower leg - calf and/or muscle that runs down the outside of the calf. I cannot shake them. If I flex one way, the main calf muscle hurts. If I flex back the other way, the side muscle locks up.

The only way I have been able to get rid of them is to stand up and bear weight on my leg. Most of the cramps are in the leg that I had ACL surgery on in 2001. I have had no residual issue with my knee since the surgery, and I never had these cramps before they began off and on this year.

Any insight? All I have ever heard is "Eat bananas!" (for potassium)

Help!
I am 72, I have diabetic neuropathy. I have a lot of problems with my feet and legs it seems to me. I have a lot of night time cramps in my legs. I am a former runner. Many years ago. I had a recent episode of plantar fasciitis recently. I started with the night splints again. I read your post and started thinking and it dawned on me that I have had no cramps since I began. Maybe 3 weeks. They are supposed to help for achilles tendonitis also. This is a banana free post. Yes, we have no bananas.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:35 PM

6 posts, read 2,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
I am 72, I have diabetic neuropathy. I have a lot of problems with my feet and legs it seems to me. I have a lot of night time cramps in my legs. I am a former runner. Many years ago. I had a recent episode of plantar fasciitis recently. I started with the night splints again. I read your post and started thinking and it dawned on me that I have had no cramps since I began. Maybe 3 weeks. They are supposed to help for achilles tendonitis also. This is a banana free post. Yes, we have no bananas.
Dusty Road check out the video "The Stopacramp Story Quoted Medical Studies" you have the answer there. This device has worked on everyone including a fellow that suffered from constant leg cramps since 1974. As soon as he got this device he hasn't had a cramp since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness