U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:28 AM

19,827 posts, read 24,327,888 times

Advertisements

Just got home with DH, who had his colonoscopy this AM. Three polyps removed. Will need to wait on the pathology report.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:37 AM

4,202 posts, read 10,015,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Taking care of your own health is paramount. Eat well, exercise, get sleep. That being said: People have free will and can make their own choices.

If someone chooses not to go to the doctor, that is their choice. No one else's. And if they live or die, it is on them, their responsibility.

If someone chooses TO go to the doctor, they shouldn't be needlessly killed through no fault of their own because of modern *healthcare* practices.

"First, do no harm" has no meaning in western medicine today.
A thread about the importance of early detection, screening, routine physicals and not ignoring potentially serious symptoms does not need an opposing viewpoint which WOULD be the definition of “doing harm”

Old 04-11-2018, 11:02 AM

3,378 posts, read 2,465,825 times
Quote:

You obviously have some strong feelings about this, and nobody here is going to change your mind, but based on what I observed working in healthcare, and the many clinicians I know, the above was not my experience and I don't think it's widely representative.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:16 AM

14,453 posts, read 4,395,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Nothing "smart" about avoiding routine physicals and screening at all as this thread has pointed out......

We are speaking from our life experiences and considering I'm approaching 80 am not doing too terrible..don't do the tests that "they" recommend and did do the surgery and live with it's complications.

Again as with at least another member, We Just Disagree. I can still hear my mother thru her life..She was not a fan of doctors and lived into early 90's. Dad too into mid 90's... neither ran to doctors and back then none of the tests of today.

I don't know how old you are but my guess is probably 40-50...big difference in our ages too and life experiences. And too, you said you are an MD, so you come from that world anyway.
Neither one of us is wrong, just think and do differently.

And too, I use Prevention remedies for years.

And it gets old to be constantly scolded (gentle word) for taking care of our health the way some of us choose to.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-11-2018 at 11:44 AM..

Old 04-11-2018, 01:31 PM

8,642 posts, read 5,776,411 times
Quote:
Taking care of your own health is paramount. Eat well, exercise, get sleep. That being said: People have free will and can make their own choices.

If someone chooses not to go to the doctor, that is their choice. No one else's. And if they live or die, it is on them, their responsibility.

If someone chooses TO go to the doctor, they shouldn't be needlessly killed through no fault of their own because of modern *healthcare* practices.

Getting recommended preventative testing does not preclude doing what one can and should (ie, diet, exercise, rest) to maintain one's own health. And all that preventative maintenance you mention will not prevent 100% of the people, 100% of the time from getting cancer, heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, other chronic conditions that left untreated will significantly shorten lifespan.

That's the reality of it. One makes one's choices.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Just got home with DH, who had his colonoscopy this AM. Three polyps removed. Will need to wait on the pathology report.
Wow, fingers crossed that the report will be "benign".

Old 04-11-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We are speaking from our life experiences and considering I'm approaching 80 am not doing too terrible..don't do the tests that "they" recommend and did do the surgery and live with it's complications.

Again as with at least another member, We Just Disagree. I can still hear my mother thru her life..She was not a fan of doctors and lived into early 90's. Dad too into mid 90's... neither ran to doctors and back then none of the tests of today.

I don't know how old you are but my guess is probably 40-50...big difference in our ages too and life experiences. And too, you said you are an MD, so you come from that world anyway.
Neither one of us is wrong, just think and do differently.

And too, I use Prevention remedies for years.

And it gets old to be constantly scolded (gentle word) for taking care of our health the way some of us choose to.
Probably just about as old as it gets reading about 14,000 posts accusing or at least insinuating that the mainstream medical medicine causes more harm than good to those who seek its help, of Big Pharma conspiring to get the public "hooked" on harmful prescription drugs, and conspiring with medical professionals to entrap an unsuspecting public in a veritable treadmill of never ending mainstream medical treatment purely for their own profit. And insinuations, of course that those who seek that treatment are uninformed, lazy, or just prefer to be dependent on prescription drugs.

This is what the overwhelming majority of responses to your posts are, ie, to the "anti-mainstream medicine" (including the misleading information and misconceptions about the medical condition topics du jour) baiting in your posts, NOT the fact that you choose to use alternative methods including numerous supplements for your health. As has been said to you numerous times, how you take care of your own health is your own choice, and if you find specific supplements and methods make you feel better, more power to you and most (including myself) wish you the best and the longest happiest life you can get with all of that. And if you choose never to darken the door of another doctor for the rest of your life, or take another prescription drug either, then that's your choice too.

It's not your own choices of how you maintain yourself into your old age that is criticised, it's your ongoing and voluminous attempts to discredit anything and anyone associated with main stream medicine. Again, criticism of the contents of a post is NOT synonymous with a personal attack.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:34 PM

16,586 posts, read 15,767,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Good thing he had his check up and best wishes for a good report.

I just did the at home screening and they called and said all is well. I have a friend who did the at home screening and all is not well. Now he has to go for the real thing. But it's always better to get tested and know for sure if you are dealing with something.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:43 PM

14,453 posts, read 4,395,342 times
T.L. There is more than one side to every thing we do including how we take care of our health. Why is it so wrong the way I do mine and BTW: I'm not alone here...OK.

And of course, a good handful of those who disagree and why can't I post what I choose to post..others go on and on with their posts.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:05 PM

4,202 posts, read 10,015,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
T.L. There is more than one side to every thing we do including how we take care of our health. Why is it so wrong the way I do mine and BTW: I'm not alone here...OK.

And of course, a good handful of those who disagree and why can't I post what I choose to post..others go on and on with their posts.
And what POSITIVE contribution do you think you have made to a thread about preventative care, early screening for serious health conditions and not ignoring potentially serious symptoms that can lead to death and disability????

This isn't the thread for your "alternative" view points....there was no need for you to comment in this thread PERIOD

The ONLY thing you and newtovenice can hope to accomplish in this thread is to potentially sway someone from seeking potentially life saving care.....

I mean you commented in the canker sore thread and you clearly don't even know what a canker sore is....

I don't understand someone with the need to post in every health care thread whether they have anything useful to contribute to the topic or not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or