Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:30 PM

898 posts, read 597,896 times

Advertisements

A plea to my female friends. If you haven't been to the doctor in a while, GO! My Stacey last October started having severe pain in her back, that finally got her to the doctor for a herniated disk diagnosis that needed surgery. I found her a PCP at my clinic for a pre-op exam and they did an EKG. The doctor asked when she had her HEART ATTACK!!!! Instead of her back surgery on 11/15, she had a triple heart bypass on 11/18 instead.... She is still recovering from that (and had her back surgery mid December). 50 years old.

Fast forward to this past weekend. My neighborhood friend (more my sister's than mine, I ran amuck with her brothers), had a heart attack and passed away on Saturday. Not my place to name names, but I'm not sure if she reached 50 yet. Recently a new grandmother too. Don't say it can't happen to you. It can. Symptoms can be a lot different for women than men. My Stacey had NO CLUE that she had a heart attack. Only showed up on the EKG.

You guys in your late 40's and 50's, you need a physical too, including the dreaded colonoscopy (the prep the night before is worse than the procedure and they give you good drugs to knock you out)

Old 04-09-2018, 02:55 PM

17,572 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Very well said.

Doctors are your friend.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:17 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Yep, I see my GP 4 times a year and get an annual physical (with EKG).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-09-2018, 10:56 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
I personally know 5 people who had heart attacks in their 50's and 1 in their 40's. Only 1 survived (my mother, heart attack at age 58). All the rest died instantly. My father being one of them at age 57 and an Uncle at age 43. I also know 2 people in their 40's who had colon cancer. One died at age 42, the other survived.

I see a Cardiologist once a year for a congenital heart defect, but I asked him when my DH should have a stress test done since his father passed away of a heart attack at age 55. He said even though my DH is physically fit and does get an annual exam every year for work he should start having stress echo's and EKG at 45 due to family history. Well, guess who turned 45 this year and has not gone yet!

Old 04-10-2018, 12:31 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I personally know 5 people who had heart attacks in their 50's and 1 in their 40's. Only 1 survived (my mother, heart attack at age 58). All the rest died instantly. My father being one of them at age 57 and an Uncle at age 43. I also know 2 people in their 40's who had colon cancer. One died at age 42, the other survived.

I see a Cardiologist once a year for a congenital heart defect, but I asked him when my DH should have a stress test done since his father passed away of a heart attack at age 55. He said even though my DH is physically fit and does get an annual exam every year for work he should start having stress echo's and EKG at 45 due to family history. Well, guess who turned 45 this year and has not gone yet!
I have a cousin who is alive only because his wife, who's a nurse, insisted he go to the ER when he started having chest pain. He was in his 50s.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:28 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
It was only by going for an annual exam at age 51 that a high grade aggressive bladder cancer was found. I had no symptoms nor did I have any of the risk factors. The urologic oncologists said that by time I had symptoms I'd of been terminal. Just a simple urine test as part of an annual physical found it in time to save my bladder, and me.

Two years ago I went for a colonoscopy because I had been told I needed to do it every 5 years due to family history. The doctor acted like I was wasting his time and that I should have waited until 10 years, until he starting finding polyps, 5 in all, one pre-cancerous. Then he changed his tune. Now I'm every two years, but with a different doctor.

Go for annual physicals. Go for colonoscopies. Do the prostate exams. It just may save your life.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:16 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I have a cousin who is alive only because his wife, who's a nurse, insisted he go to the ER when he started having chest pain. He was in his 50s.

I can give you what happens when you don't.

My late husband was having mild chest pains, because I was always making him go to the doctor for stuff (rightfully so), I just told him "if you think you should go to the doctor, then go." He didn't. He died of heart attack 2 months later.

He was 43.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-10-2018, 10:22 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
My uncle who hadn't been to a doctor in years walked in happily for his *free* Medicare exam once he turned 65.

One chest x-ray and 6 months later his was dead after being put into a medically induced coma ... a result from all the drugs and procedures and mistakes they made. He was medically tortured to death. All standard of care, of course. Even all the mistakes.

Had he not gone for that fateful visit I have no doubts he'd be alive today.

Use discretion. Make smart choices.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:49 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
My uncle who hadn't been to a doctor in years walked in happily for his *free* Medicare exam once he turned 65.

One chest x-ray and 6 months later his was dead after being put into a medically induced coma ... a result from all the drugs and procedures and mistakes they made. He was medically tortured to death. All standard of care, of course. Even all the mistakes.

Had he not gone for that fateful visit I have no doubts he'd be alive today.

Use discretion. Make smart choices.
If mistakes were made it was not standard of care.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:53 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If mistakes were made it was not standard of care.
You know nothing about what happened and your *opinion* is 100% wrong.

Standard of care kills people -- it kills 100,000+ Americans every single year through following the instructions on drug package inserts.

And standard of care killed my uncle. Period. End of story. Don't comment on things you NOTHING about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness